Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. My auto crapped out on my 98 TJ (surprise?) and thanks to insurance I have some money to replace it. Not enough for another auto (and I surely don't want another auto) so, talking with my fellow Jeep Club members, they said I can pickup everything I need for the swap to stick for around $500 or $700 used.

I'd just like to hear from someone who has done this swap? Is there anything I should look out for? Anything I'll need to buy thats not anticipated?

I've got a friend with the clutch pedal assembly from a ZJ. I'd need to buy the tranny, slave cylinder, wiring harness, etc. There was some talk of the possibility that the t-case wont matchup properly? If so my buddy has a t-case I can buy from him thats from a Jeep with a standard.

Any helpful comments/words of advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
It isn't a matter of just auto or manual for the transfer case fitment. What engine are you running now?

$500-$700 may be a little on the low side- you should replace the clutch and pressure plate @ around $200, as well...

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm running the 2.5L 4 cyl. I have around $1500 to spend on this project, although I'd like to try to conserve as much of that as possible.

And yea.. that was mentioned as well.. As I'll be buying the tranny used I should replace the clutch and uh (excuse my noobyness) some bearing...

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
Ya know- a used TF999 is about $250-300. Relocate the vent and you end up with a reliable trans.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is that the auto? "TF999" ?

On top of the vent line issue, I've heard that these trannies just don't take any abuse.. They are soo very weak.. Part of the reason I wanted stick.. Plus stick is more fun, you have more control, I can get bigger tires and it wont be as much of a pain to drive cause I have more control over my revs.. A lot of plusses..

-Brandon

·
2257 Compliant
331 Posts
I think you will need a new (different) ECU also.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've seen a few AX5's on this site for $250-$350.. the peddle assembly I'm getting from my buddy is free (I believe), a local junk yard has tons of Jeeps there I can get the ECU and anything else I need from..

Its only going to be a little more expensive to switch to standard, I think.. Unless I'm missing something.

-Brandon

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
Is that the auto? "TF999" ?

On top of the vent line issue, I've heard that these trannies just don't take any abuse.. They are soo very weak.. Part of the reason I wanted stick.. Plus stick is more fun, you have more control, I can get bigger tires and it wont be as much of a pain to drive cause I have more control over my revs.. A lot of plusses..

-Brandon
I run a TF999 in my Scrambler with a 380Hp 360 Chrysler in it. No issues. The trans isn't weak, even in stock form. What do you consider "abuse"??

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I run a TF999 in my Scrambler with a 380Hp 360 Chrysler in it. No issues. The trans isn't weak, even in stock form. What do you consider "abuse"??
Really? Damn. I've heard they can't hold up to the torque of even the 4 cylinder. I'm a very rough driver. I drive hard, I accelerate fast, I stop fast.. On top of that I deliver pizza's so I'm always driving anywhere from 4 to 10 hours a day.. So my tranny is always under hard abuse..

But thats with a 4 cylinder. When I got my Jeep, the tranny felt solid, and within a few weeks I started seeing issues. But it was the original tranny (or I'm assuming it was) and it had 107k miles on it when I got it.

On top of that though, I wheel relatively often too.. Once a week usually.. Sometimes up to 3 or 4 times a week.. When I first got my Jeep I went to the mounds like 12 times in the first few months cause of the way my work schedule is, I can go to the mounds in the morning then work at night.

But I'm pretty sure I'm done with going to the mounds.. Its been the root of all my problems, and its much more enjoyable/less risk of breaking parts at a few of the other places I wheel at.

I've always had an auto tranny in all 6 cars I've owned... And it seems like the type of driver I am, I'm just especially rough on them, haha. Almost every vehicle I've owned has started to slip or has had the tranny replaced. I was kinda hoping the manual tranny would stand up to more abuse.

Throwout bearing maybe?
Yes, thats the one. Thanks. I'm pretty new to standard trannys.

-Brandon

·
All out Idiot
1,714 Posts
the only reason my 999 blew was because of my stupidity (it does not like being shifted from reverse into forward under throttle). otherwise it is a stout trans.

but i thought the 4 poppers had a different trans than the 6 cyl did.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the only reason my 999 blew was because of my stupidity (it does not like being shifted from reverse into forward under throttle). otherwise it is a stout trans.

but i thought the 4 poppers had a different trans than the 6 cyl did.

I thought so too? Not sure about Autos, but the 6 cyl comes with the AX15 right? Where the 4 cyl comes with the AX5?

-Brandon

·
Not Right!
1,472 Posts
I concur, my auto is running strong. 4.0 4.10 gears 33s yada, yada. I have a deep pan, Transgo shift kit and I relocated the vent and feel it should last a good long while, at least it will once I add an additional trans cooler.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
with 1500 being your budget you should look into converting an ax-15 to fit

I was thinking that, but I have no clue what that would involve. I was also even thinking of the next level up (I think thats an NV3550?)...

What would it take to go to an AX15?

What would it take to go to the next level up (NV3550???) ?

-Brandon

·
Mr. Special Snowflake.
13,098 Posts
You'll also likely need new drive shafts. Manuals are usually shorter than autos.

I think the t-case skid plate might be different for the same reason.

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
You'll also likely need new drive shafts. Manuals are usually shorter than autos.

I think the t-case skid plate might be different for the same reason.
On those TJs, its the other way around, I beleive, the 3 speed auto is 1" shorter than the AX-5, methinks.

The shortest possible was the AX-15 + dana 44 rear, which was what my 98 was.

Unless you run the highway a lot, I'd keep the 3 speed. I actually liked my 97 with the 2.5/3 speed, until it got over 55 mph. With the 3.73 gears, you have no power. For pizza delivery, I'd keep the auto.

If you do swap, I'd just stick with a good shape AX-5, keep it all factory. Usually there will be standpings that you just need to drill out to mount the clutch master cyl.

So, you need:

Transmission
new clutch + pressure plate
flywheel (have it resurfaced)
new throwout and pilot bearing
master + slave cyl
probably a rear driveshaft
I'm thinking the ECU is ok, but you will need to do some rewiring of the park/neutral safety switch.

Or keep the auto, and put the money into axle gears and other goodies.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts