Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Playing Possum
6,751 Posts
I have had several conversion vans. It's hard to beat the huge amount of room they have. I currently have a Dodge Mark IV conversion. I got the 3/4 ton package so I could tow my junk around. Starcraft makes a nice conversion. The one you are looking at has the regular van top, not the raised roof, so it's basically like buying a full sized van. Decide if it's mechanically sound and if you like the interior, get it. It helps if they have rear air and heat because it's such a large space (which that one does).

·
(513) 891-8372
12,024 Posts
High tops are really nicer for traveling because they have extra storage and usually good TV and DVD placement.

x2 on the rear air and heat...fantastic in all cases.

Rear bench that folds down to a bed is a good idea too. Make sure all the seats in the back are removable. Then you can use the van to haul stuff like sheets of plywood and drywall enclosed and out of the weather.

·
Resident HVAC/R Jambi
10,939 Posts
Starcraft ones aren't real high in quality, you'll find all sorts of little things breaking like window and seatand trim (inside and outside) type things. The best conversion I have been familiar with is Eclipse. But this is only going off of all the conversion vans my family has owned in the past 22 years.

·
webwheeler
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
regular van, no hi top.
it's got the rear air/heat, and the rear bed. :naughty: :tonka:

the quality of the conversion is what really makes me nervous, otherwise it's got everything I would want. the rear bench/bed will unbolt but it looks to be a SOB to remove.

tow package, trans cooler, class 3 hitch, room to pack 4x as much [email protected] for trips.

what sort of MPG should I expect? 15-18?
the furd vans got any thing special to look for?

Attachments

·
(513) 891-8372
12,024 Posts
regular van, no hi top.
it's got the rear air/heat, and the rear bed. :naughty: :tonka:

the quality of the conversion is what really makes me nervous, otherwise it's got everything I would want. the rear bench/bed will unbolt but it looks to be a SOB to remove.

tow package, trans cooler, class 3 hitch, room to pack 4x as much [email protected] for trips.

what sort of MPG should I expect? 15-18?
the furd vans got any thing special to look for?
13-15 mpg depending.

Look for oil pan rusting.:tonka: Sorry Kev if you read this.

I don't think you will have an issue with quality, but remember, if something gets f-ed up that is part of the conversion package...usually you can't get a new part or they are real hard to find...like side windows and the inside plastic stuff around the windows that the blinds are mounted to.

·
Playing Possum
6,751 Posts
Dude, it's a 1999! If it hasn't fallen apart yet, it must be half decent.

The 4 bolt type seats are not too bad to remove. Mine was a pain when I needed 2 people to loosen the bolts, then I welded the nuts to the bottom and now it's not bad. Check and see if the two captains chairs in the back come out easily. Some are bolted right through the floor, some have quick release. The ones with quick release are much more convenient.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts