Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If each windows xp has it's own registration number, can you track a stolen computer if the thief gets on line?

·
The N3rd
5,871 Posts
If each windows xp has it's own registration number, can you track a stolen computer if the thief gets on line?
It might be possible, but if i were to steal a laptop, chances are the first thing I'd do is Boot & Nuke the Harddrive, so all evidence is wiped clean. Was yours stolen? Do you know the serial numbers for it? If so you can call the cops so pawn shops can look out for stolen merchandise. Good luck getting it back if yours was stolen.

·
Me balls are huge
2,543 Posts
It might be possible, but if i were to steal a laptop, chances are the first thing I'd do is Boot & Nuke the Harddrive, so all evidence is wiped clean. Was yours stolen? Do you know the serial numbers for it? If so you can call the cops so pawn shops can look out for stolen merchandise. Good luck getting it back if yours was stolen.
Maybe he stole one?

·
spelling nazi
2,563 Posts
No, you cannot track down a stolen laptop by the winxp serial number.

There are pieces of software that "phone home" if your laptop is reported stolen, and can help pin down the thief to a general area, but it's pretty tough to get an exact location even then.

·
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, you cannot track down a stolen laptop by the winxp serial number.

There are pieces of software that "phone home" if your laptop is reported stolen, and can help pin down the thief to a general area, but it's pretty tough to get an exact location even then.
Sweet, wanna buy a computer?:sonicjay:

·
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A friend had one stolen, a desk top or non laptop or tower or whatever. It was in his car.

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
actually, M$ can track a pc down by the OS serial. At least as far as the IP it logged into windows update with and WGA tag in on. The difficulty is the number of machines with the same product key number possible.

M$ actually records and retains the serial and product key of all computers logging into windows updates for patches. The serials of course are only on machines that have the serial embedded in the BIOS like Dells. We've had M$ go after batches of stolen pc's a few times. They all tend to pop up on the same IP, so it makes theft recovery a bit easier.

·
spelling nazi
2,563 Posts
actually, M$ can track a pc down by the OS serial. At least as far as the IP it logged into windows update with and WGA tag in on. The difficulty is the number of machines with the same product key number possible.

M$ actually records and retains the serial and product key of all computers logging into windows updates for patches. The serials of course are only on machines that have the serial embedded in the BIOS like Dells. We've had M$ go after batches of stolen pc's a few times. They all tend to pop up on the same IP, so it makes theft recovery a bit easier.
Not something your average consumer can do though. You'd need to have pretty decent pull with Microsoft (or a court order) to get that done.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.