Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was attempting to update my computer from Windows 7 to Windows 10; got the download and was installing however it came up with an error that Windows 10 could not be installed due to "We couldn’t update system reserved partition".

I've done some work with computers, and generally know plenty to get by on my own. Never heard of the SRP, so found out what it was, and that it is an actual issues updating some computers. Seems like some computers with third party software (like AV), the software downloads temporary files to the SRP, and it's a bitch to get off. I attempted both "fixes" that I found online, including the manual way to expand the partition memory...which didn't work. Could be because i'm following the commands wrong, but either way; it's beyond my skill to do.

So what i'm looking at, if I do a factory reset of the computer, delete everything and reinstall it as factory, will that delete the extraneous files in the SRP? So I can then install windows 10 (can still get it from Microsoft for free) I have 2% free in the SRP now, 100MB size, and I need 15MB to install windows 10

·
Registered
284 Posts
What happens if you use a empty flash drive to create a boot media from the microsoft website and then make sure your computer boots from the flash drive instead of the hard drive? You then should be able to install windows 10 over your old OS by selecting the correct option.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What happens if you use a empty flash drive to create a boot media from the microsoft website and then make sure your computer boots from the flash drive instead of the hard drive? You then should be able to install windows 10 over your old OS by selecting the correct option.
I tried doing that with an external hard drive, but it came up with the same error for the SRP

·
Registered
2 Posts
Upgrading Windows 7 to Windows 10 is not difficult,and do a clean Windows install is also good idea.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Upgrading Windows 7 to Windows 10 is not difficult,and do a clean Windows install is also good idea.
Not exactly helpfull... I know it's not difficult, unless you come across the problem I have. Then it is difficult.

Never got an answer to my initial question and have not done anything more yet. rebooting to factory Windows is only an option if it will solve my problem with the build up of files in the System Reserved Partition. If it doesn't clear those files, then reinstalling windows will do nothing. Plus, I don't have a way to completely reinstall windows without actually buying windows 7, since I can't do windows 10.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Okay,if this is a question about installing Windows 10,the best way is to use the Windows installation disk,get a empty USB or DVD/CD,and downlaod Windows iso and burn to USB/DVD/CD to get a Windows 10 installation disk,using this method to reinstall a Windows 10 on the computer is not the first time I did.Or visit Microsoft.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay,if this is a question about installing Windows 10,the best way is to use the Windows installation disk,get a empty USB or DVD/CD,and downlaod Windows iso and burn to USB/DVD/CD to get a Windows 10 installation disk,using this method to reinstall a Windows 10 on the computer is not the first time I did.Or visit Microsoft.
Did you even read my initial post? This is not a question about installing Windows 10.

The question is, if I do a factory reset of the computer, delete everything and reinstall it as factory, will that delete the extraneous files in the system reserved partition.

As of now, installing windows 10 on my computer is impossible because I need 15 mb of space on my SRP, of which I only have 2mb free; probably because there was a lot of third party software that was installing files to it. This is a problem that many people have apparently had because there is a lot people having the same issue. The easiest fix is to expand the size of the SRP, which I attempted to do but it did not work (of which is possibly due to my own error not following the steps correctly, and I am not going to continue to mess with it furthur because I can possibly damage my computer fully).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts