Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Now pedals a bicycle
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For xmas got kobalt impact wrench and pneumatic wrench.

got a compressor from my uncle (2nd hand, he is in africa, i just borrowed it). 5+ gallon i believe. anyhow, i hooked up the impact gun, calls for 90psi, i got 120 in tank, and outlet pressure ~100 psi. anyhow, when i hook up the gun and grab the socket in 'reverse' all i get it pfssssssssssssssssssst. No 'impacting' etc. i imagine that with >350 lbs of power, i shouldn't be able to hold it back with my hand alone.

anyhow, new to pneumatics, but i noticed long hose on this thing, so i hooked straight to compressor, same result. The outlet pressure does drop down to about 80 on the 'outlet' guage. am i just not getting enough power to the tool to get it to hammer?

help if you can, kinda defeats the purpose of an impact if it doesn't hammer

·
Buy a Fiat! Save the UAW!
14,448 Posts
sounds like your impeller fins are hung up from sitting while packaged. I suggest a shot of air tool oil and just bang the side of the case with your hand as you pull the trigger. it should take off and go.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Most guns have a built in regulator in them. Make sure it is opened up. Also make sure the switch between forward and revers is set to forward or reverse.

·
Now pedals a bicycle
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ill take another look. it will definately spin, i loosened and tightened a lug nut that was already broken loose, however, a bolt that hasn't been broken would have no chance.

·
I carry a shank
4,543 Posts
I avoid the whole air compressor thing and use one of these.

·
HURL SCOUTS
10,007 Posts
sounds like the regulator is on the lowest setting. set the compressor regulator to supply 90 psi while the tool is running. on my impact I run the compressor at 120 not running the tool and it works well.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
I have the same issue, my impact is rated at 600 ft/lb and I can almost hold it. It doesn't stand a chance with lugnuts.
Actually, the first time I used it was for the axle nut and it worked fine. After that it sucked. I was told it was too cold for it so I brought it in the house.
After a few days I returned it for the same thing. Still same problem. I have ~15 gallon tank and regulator set anywhere from 90-120. It has a knob on the back I adjust and it makes a difference, but nothing worth $200 I spent.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I have the same issue, my impact is rated at 600 ft/lb and I can almost hold it. It doesn't stand a chance with lugnuts.
Actually, the first time I used it was for the axle nut and it worked fine. After that it sucked. I was told it was too cold for it so I brought it in the house.
After a few days I returned it for the same thing. Still same problem. I have ~15 gallon tank and regulator set anywhere from 90-120. It has a knob on the back I adjust and it makes a difference, but nothing worth $200 I spent.
I would guess both of your guys tanks are to small.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
please make sure its not on like setting 1, the # settings arent there for looks. turn it up, you might notice a difference

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
How would tank size matter as long as it stays over the needed PSI? If the PSI is high enough, there should be enough air. I also tried a short hose, maybe 10 feet and 3/8" ID
And I did say I turned the adjustment, at the lowest setting i can hold the socket. At the highest it barely spins out of my hand.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.