Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Now pedals a bicycle
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For xmas got kobalt impact wrench and pneumatic wrench.

got a compressor from my uncle (2nd hand, he is in africa, i just borrowed it). 5+ gallon i believe. anyhow, i hooked up the impact gun, calls for 90psi, i got 120 in tank, and outlet pressure ~100 psi. anyhow, when i hook up the gun and grab the socket in 'reverse' all i get it pfssssssssssssssssssst. No 'impacting' etc. i imagine that with >350 lbs of power, i shouldn't be able to hold it back with my hand alone.

anyhow, new to pneumatics, but i noticed long hose on this thing, so i hooked straight to compressor, same result. The outlet pressure does drop down to about 80 on the 'outlet' guage. am i just not getting enough power to the tool to get it to hammer?

help if you can, kinda defeats the purpose of an impact if it doesn't hammer

·
Buy a Fiat! Save the UAW!
14,442 Posts
sounds like your impeller fins are hung up from sitting while packaged. I suggest a shot of air tool oil and just bang the side of the case with your hand as you pull the trigger. it should take off and go.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Most guns have a built in regulator in them. Make sure it is opened up. Also make sure the switch between forward and revers is set to forward or reverse.

·
Now pedals a bicycle
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ill take another look. it will definately spin, i loosened and tightened a lug nut that was already broken loose, however, a bolt that hasn't been broken would have no chance.

·
Now pedals a bicycle
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Most guns have a built in regulator in them. Make sure it is opened up. Also make sure the switch between forward and revers is set to forward or reverse.
might that be the allen heads on the rear?

**edit nope that just holds the case togather it seems

·
Now pedals a bicycle
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
5.5 scfm at 90 psi, gun req. 4 cfm per manual and 90 psi, 13 gallon tank

guess ill have to fiddle w/ it more tomorrow

·
I carry a shank
4,543 Posts
I avoid the whole air compressor thing and use one of these.

·
HURL SCOUTS
10,007 Posts
sounds like the regulator is on the lowest setting. set the compressor regulator to supply 90 psi while the tool is running. on my impact I run the compressor at 120 not running the tool and it works well.

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
I have the same issue, my impact is rated at 600 ft/lb and I can almost hold it. It doesn't stand a chance with lugnuts.
Actually, the first time I used it was for the axle nut and it worked fine. After that it sucked. I was told it was too cold for it so I brought it in the house.
After a few days I returned it for the same thing. Still same problem. I have ~15 gallon tank and regulator set anywhere from 90-120. It has a knob on the back I adjust and it makes a difference, but nothing worth $200 I spent.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I have the same issue, my impact is rated at 600 ft/lb and I can almost hold it. It doesn't stand a chance with lugnuts.
Actually, the first time I used it was for the axle nut and it worked fine. After that it sucked. I was told it was too cold for it so I brought it in the house.
After a few days I returned it for the same thing. Still same problem. I have ~15 gallon tank and regulator set anywhere from 90-120. It has a knob on the back I adjust and it makes a difference, but nothing worth $200 I spent.
I would guess both of your guys tanks are to small.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
please make sure its not on like setting 1, the # settings arent there for looks. turn it up, you might notice a difference

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
How would tank size matter as long as it stays over the needed PSI? If the PSI is high enough, there should be enough air. I also tried a short hose, maybe 10 feet and 3/8" ID
And I did say I turned the adjustment, at the lowest setting i can hold the socket. At the highest it barely spins out of my hand.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts