Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Yooper In Training
7,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current fuel pump is properly routed to my AN fuel line/adapter using this fitting:
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/LS1-L...6-AN-Male-to-3-8-Inch-Female-Black,60381.html

Problem is, it just developed a leak between the pump and fitting. I took it off and nothing looks damaged, including the o-rings, but it still leaks. Does anyone know of a reason I couldn't ditch the quick connect feature and replace it with a compression fitting like this?
http://www.jegs.com/i/Russell/799/639200/10002/-1

Seems a little more robust and it's not like this is something I need to disconnect often. The compression fitting would just sit outside the quick connect flange/ring on the pump....just not sure if there's a problem with this theory.

·
Little Member
23,794 Posts
I read about a leak problem with those quick connect fittings. I didn't read if they were updated or not. I was reading on those compression fittings that they were designed for softer aluminum line, not steel. Could be an issue.

·
Yooper In Training
7,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I thought the style I have is the newer version and the old style has the plastic clips like the OEM fittings. I found the ones with the plastic fitting and was gonna go that route, but then I saw the compression fittings and it seemed like a safer bet IF they work. Maybe I'll just order the normal style.

·
Little Member
23,794 Posts
I'm just leery of it being on the fuel pump with a lot of pressure behind it. And compression fittings are more of a band aid instead of a fix.

·
mellow yellow
942 Posts
I'm running a return line and a holley blue pump so not much pressure but look at your fuel injection fittings on new cars. Just a plastic clip and a o ring. I think I trust the compression more than that.

·
Yooper In Training
7,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The fitting I have(top picture) is the same style as the OEM quick disconnects. It has dual o-rings and rather than the plastic(or sometimes metal) quick connect it had the threaded retaining collar. I liked it till it randomly started leaking.....I figured I'd rather try and upgrade instead of replacing it with the same damn thing

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I run the same fitting on my rail, except it's Russel brand #644120) not the Speedway. I've never heard of that style fitting leaking. But I have heard people complain about Speedway's parts quality versus the better brands. Maybe try another fitting.

·
Yooper In Training
7,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I run the same fitting on my rail, except it's Russel brand #644120) not the Speedway. I've never heard of that style fitting leaking. But I have heard people complain about Speedway's parts quality versus the better brands. Maybe try another fitting.
Mine was the Russel brand I believe, I just used the Speedway link because it had a good picture. I since replaced it with a quick disconnect style of the same fitting, and it seals the same way with dual O-rings. So far it's fine. Even though it's mounted like most fuel lines out there and I did my best to keep any side loads off of it, I suspect the line was pulling downward just enough to flatten out the O-rings over time and allow a leak. You can kind of see the fitting and routing in this picture:

I think I'm going to make a small support bracket to go under the line and take the loading off of the fitting. It can bolt right to the fuel pump ring bolts and support the joint from bouncing and pulling.

·
Life=Short. Jeeps=Cool
4,137 Posts
Mine was the Russel brand I believe, I just used the Speedway link because it had a good picture. I since replaced it with a quick disconnect style of the same fitting, and it seals the same way with dual O-rings. So far it's fine. Even though it's mounted like most fuel lines out there and I did my best to keep any side loads off of it, I suspect the line was pulling downward just enough to flatten out the O-rings over time and allow a leak. You can kind of see the fitting and routing in this picture:

I think I'm going to make a small support bracket to go under the line and take the loading off of the fitting. It can bolt right to the fuel pump ring bolts and support the joint from bouncing and pulling.
Why didn't you just order a ninety degree fitting?

·
Life=Short. Jeeps=Cool
4,137 Posts
Oh wait, he's talking about the line coming off the pump, not the return line. Yeah I would definitely go with a compression firing there, in fact that's exactly what I just ordered for my fuel setup.

·
missmrgreenagain
21,341 Posts
My whole fuel system is compression fittings lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
missmrgreenagain
21,341 Posts
That's the only kind I can use with the lines that I'm running

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Yooper In Training
7,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You, stop making sense. Don't you see the beer can?
Alcohol: the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Oh wait, he's talking about the line coming off the pump, not the return line. Yeah I would definitely go with a compression firing there, in fact that's exactly what I just ordered for my fuel setup.
Yes I'm talking about the line coming off the pump. The other line is just a vent running to the EVAP system. A 90 coming off the pump would drop too early and run into the tank. The straight fitting is good, as is the line routing, it's probably just got a very slight load on it. It worked for 6 months before it developed a slow leak, could've even just been a questionable o-ring. It's got a new fitting now and works fine, I added a spacer under to hopefully eliminate or reduce any loading, and I've got a spare if this one starts leaking too. If it gets a leak again then I'll admit defeat and try a compression fitting.

·
Life=Short. Jeeps=Cool
4,137 Posts
Alcohol: the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Yes I'm talking about the line coming off the pump. The other line is just a vent running to the EVAP system. A 90 coming off the pump would drop too early and run into the tank. The straight fitting is good, as is the line routing, it's probably just got a very slight load on it. It worked for 6 months before it developed a slow leak, could've even just been a questionable o-ring. It's got a new fitting now and works fine, I added a spacer under to hopefully eliminate or reduce any loading, and I've got a spare if this one starts leaking too. If it gets a leak again then I'll admit defeat and try a compression fitting.
Fuck it, use duct tape

1 - 20 of 21 Posts