Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Its tough out there.
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i have decided that i am going to get a comanche for my next jeep. i dont know when yet but i want one.

i was wondering if anyone had ever converted a 2wd to 4wd?
what trans came in the 4.0 2wd verses 4.0 4wd
comon problems, years i should avoid stuff like that.

want to pick one up with high miles good body swap on a newer style Xj grill fenders, doors, and mirrors, give it a bb and run 31 at as a dd for a few years. then when the moter is on its last legs swap in a 4.7 stroker.

i figure if the 4x4 swap is prety easy ill buy 2wd and run it around that way while its a dd

thoughts recamendations opinions?

what id like it to look like

Attachments

·
Silver Lake
6,547 Posts
Already in process of doing the same thing :tonka:
Finding the newer XJ stuff can be a little tricky, but do-able :thumb:
The conversion from 2wd to 4wd isn't bad. Check www.comancheclub.com or pm Tonka, he did that to his. I would personally find one 4wd and make sure the cab floor is solid. Also, stick to a 90 and newer if possible. If the cab and floors are junk, walk away. The cab is part of the uni-body on those.

·
Its tough out there.
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
not hard if you know which junk yard to find parts in or hapen to know people at the local jeep dealership body shop:sonicjay:

·
Can't Worry About It
1,070 Posts
www.comancheclub.com

to convert to 4wd you need the tranny transfer case, driveshafts and the front axle. the trans are different between 2xd and 4wd.

its a straight forward swap but you just need all the stuff.

and the whole front end bolts up fine, you just need to find one, but the doors are different in the latches and need some (kind of alot) of modifaiction

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
The conversion from 2wd to 4wd isn't bad. Check www.comancheclub.com or pm Tonka, he did that to his. I would personally find one 4wd and make sure the cab floor is solid. Also, stick to a 90 and newer if possible. If the cab and floors are junk, walk away. The cab is part of the uni-body on those.
By my comanche :poke:

:poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts