Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This winter i'll be in the process of building up my ranger. I've planned on running coilovers up front, and coils out back. this truck will a be dd/trail rig, and was wondering if the coilovers would hold up to driving them daily? would this cause them to wear out alot quicker then thye should? i'm kinda shooting from the blue on this one

·
5,818 Posts
They'll be fine. And if you do ever wear them out, you can rebuild them for between $25 and $50 each. I'd freshen them up every 3-5 years just to keep them in proper working order.

If you plan to DD it then you should pay close attention to the front suspension geometry. The front can make or break the road maners. A quick swerve or tug on the wheel can have huge effects along with the anti-dive and instant center when stopping as fast as you can. The rear is important when climbing and the front is important for handling and overall feel going down the road.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i plan on long-arming the front like on the cherokees and tj, and a trailing arm setup in the back, and i'm not really looking for it to handle like a race car. and on the plus side, buddies dad owns a machine shop

·
Visiting Admin
9,065 Posts
if your buddys dad owns a machine shop then your all set. only thing i would add is a dune flag on the bumper and your in business

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'm still debating on what size coilovers i should run? i want a lot of travel, and can't decide if i should just go with some 18" travel. or where to start with spring rates

·
Visiting Admin
9,065 Posts
start with 18's and just set it up to be extra tall so you have plenty of up travel so it doesnt bottom out. start with 2000 over 3000 pound springs for a truck of that nature

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no, its 4wheel drive, going over to a buddies house tomorrow to get each corner weighed, then hopefully go from there. the stock springs are ~400lb/in

1 - 9 of 9 Posts