Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've got a 1998 wrangler with only 37,000 miles i just bought. it's in prestine condition other than it makes a pretty solid 'click' noise when i turn sharp. the tires aren't hitting the fenders and there's nothing else noticeably wrong. a friend thought bad 'u joints'...any ideas?

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
i've got a 1998 wrangler with only 37,000 miles i just bought. it's in prestine condition other than it makes a pretty solid 'click' noise when i turn sharp. the tires aren't hitting the fenders and there's nothing else noticeably wrong. a friend thought bad 'u joints'...any ideas?
do figure 8's in a parking lot it sounds like the front u joints.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Yes, front axel u-joints. it would usually take about 45 min each. Maybe an hour.

·
#@%$!*&$#@*
2,774 Posts
IF you've done them before it should take about an hour each side. It's not really complicated, just takes a little persuasion and finesse on some parts.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
IF you've done them before it should take about an hour each side. It's not really complicated, just takes a little persuasion and finesse on some parts.
worse on time if it has never been broken down before, I took me like an hour and a half per side because I never did it before and did it by myself. Also one side stuck hard:(

·
Geocache Addict
1,462 Posts
When I did mine there was no telling how long it had been since the hubs were last off. They were on pretty good and took a lot of persuasion. Since then I've had it apart several times and it is like taking candy from a baby...smooth and easy and no cursing or bleeding. Front u-joints are an often neglected (or forgotten) problem area (personal experience and 3 cases from fellow 4-wheelers/friends).

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts
sell it, it sounds like it's counting down to implosion....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts