Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 84 CJ7 with a 5 speed that locked up on me and I need to replace. Does anyone have one laying around that would work? I am not even sure what years/models are a direct swap so any help there would be appreciated as well. I live in Grand Rapids area but travel to Midland a lot of weekends and I am willing to drive a little ways if need be. Please let me know if you have something. Reply here, PM, or text me 989-708-0452 Josh. Thanks!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Is the shifter locked up or the whole trans? Its pretty common for the t-176 to have the shifter get locked due to shift fork issues. Easier to replace them than the trans. Google t-176 stuck in gear.

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
If you want to consider a complete transmission swap I have a T-176 4 speed available.
I know you want to stay with the X5, just saying that a T-176 is a darn great 4speed trans. Held up great behind my amc 401 and 360. Might be debated but imo the T-176 is better. That is all. Good luck either way.

·
Premium Member
4,992 Posts
T4/t5/sr4 all are about the same strength and all interchange
The jeep probably doesn't pull 5th gear anyway lol
I have a working but loud (needs a rebuild) t5 I'd sell for $50

·
Premium Member
4,992 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,322 Posts
When I get a good one in it usually sells in a couple weeks or less. Lately it seems like the T 176 are easier to get

1 - 20 of 33 Posts