Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a CJ5 with a sloped back soft top that dropped directly from the back of the roll bar to the tailgate (not squared off over the rear seat). Anyone know who makes these tops?

·
Catch the wave
7,994 Posts
pretty sure most of the traditional brands would have a model like that. I don't have easy access to any quadratec, or 4wdhardware catalogs here on the toilet, and don't feel like heading over to their sites, but you should be able to find one at either website without too much trouble.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will continue surfing, but all I've seen so far are squared off. I thought I was on to something with Kayline but they only show that model for CJ7's.

·
Catch the wave
7,994 Posts
hrm, I'm bored now, and thought these were called "1/2 tops" but that's yielding different results than what I know you to be talking about.

·
$9.00 vanilla malt
2,773 Posts
friend of mines sister used to have one on her cj about 10 years ago, I believe it was a snap version...

·
Catch the wave
7,994 Posts
I may have been thinking of the cj7 versions as well from formerly perusing catalogs.

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
Pretty sure you are talking about Bestop's old Fastback top. Pretty sure California Tops used to make one as well, but neither are being produced anymore.

There also used to be a company in the southern states that made one that was advertised in Jp, IIRC, but I can't remember the name or if they made a CJ5 style. I also don't have my old issues availble here to check, unfortunately...

·
hug life
10,197 Posts
they did make a cj-5 version as my neighbor had a 'Fast back' style top, kinda u nique looking but have only seen that one in the 30 years ive been alive.

good luck trying to find one :thumb:

·
Registered
140 Posts
I looked into finding one of those a couple years back for my CJ5, but came to the same conclusion, they are not made any more. Keep an eye out on e-bay, you will see one every once in awhile

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
Oouch $600 bones is alot for essentially, half a top
Note, thats for a 74, so wouldn't fit a 76-83 model CJ-5, which seems what most people have these days..

I liked those old fastback tops, used to see them a lot.

·
Simplify...
8,163 Posts
Pretty sure you are talking about Bestop's old Fastback top. Pretty sure California Tops used to make one as well, but neither are being produced anymore.
I looked into finding one of those a couple years back for my CJ5, but came to the same conclusion, they are not made any more.
Oouch $600 bones is alot for essentially, half a top
Like Cooter said, they've been out of production for a while.
Don't get PavementPounder going on market value. :tonka: They're not made anymore...they're hard to find, and obviously worth some $$$.

On a related note, a guy on cj-8.com had a fastback top custom-made for his Scrambler...it looks sweet. Here's a pic:

Craig

·
Playing Possum
6,751 Posts
You could probably modify an existing top into a fastback. Any boat canvas place should be able to sew it for you. Take out the rear bow, re- sewed the canvas to fit. I have sewn covers for boats that are the same shape.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts