Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
cold as ice
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, here's the deal....my 15 year old daughter (smurf13) bought a 1980 cj5 for her first car. I don't think the jeep is a safe bet for her in the winter but my husband thinks otherwise.

It has a lift and 33 inch tires and is a stick

Whatta y'all think??

·
Fucking Zen as Shit
16,148 Posts
I think it would do fine in the winter.

She just needs to learn to drive responsibly.

And learn to like the cold

·
Go lil yellow Roobicon...
1,960 Posts
put it on 31's

hope it has a 6 and not a 304

She will possibly hate it, but if she doesn't try to text, and doesn't let boys drive it she might deal with the cold winter with plastic doors and flapping top for the fun it is to drive.

But def lower it. I could easily get my cj5 on 2 wheels when making a slightly sharp turn on 31's with no lift when I was 18. The SWB is killer.

Get it into GOOD/Excellent condition if she has any plans of going 60 mph. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
82" of WB= T3h sUx0r for driving on ice for an inexperienced driver. :miff:

The higher C.o.G. certainly won't help with the weight transfer while sliding sideways, either.

·
81 inches of fun
14,286 Posts
They quit making 5's for a reason, there inherently unsafe. 5's handle like a scalded dog.
Personally I think they are safe.... at the speeds and uses they were originally designed for, under 55 and in the fields. I have not ever seen a teenager with the patience to run 55mph everywhere, and even then, the inexperience in an emergency maneuver would be bad.

My flatty on a 5 chassis scares the hell out of me on the highway... and I don't run 70 because the engine is screaming at me.

·
MTU 4x4
1,407 Posts
i agree with these above statements. The 5's can be dangerous, if used improperly. I hardly ever drive my CJ over 55....not because it is scary to drive, the engine just doesnt like it with 4:88's. I have gone up to 80 with mine, and if they are built and maintianed properly, they are able to do that.

I think that a 5 could be used as a daily driver, for someone that has experience, or has practiced a lot. However, in winter driving, it is very hard to control the CJ just based on the fact of the high stance, and the short WB. In my opinion I would not suggest it

·
circling the drain
35,863 Posts
Lack of ABS scared the shit out of me the first time I drove my jeep in snow and that would be 10x worse.
So you're a vagina?

ABS scares me, not the lack of it.

As for the original question, I see no problem with it, get a good set of tires, preferably some 33x9.5 off brand all terrains, I think Kelley, makes a nice set still. Air them down just a hint. Teach your daughter why a cj5 is a difficult vehicle to master in the rain and snow. Explain to her how quickly things can go bad if she is not careful. Make sure the driveline is in perfect working order so she can use 4wd at "highway" speeds with out bad vicrations and other problems.

She really should keep it under 45, and possibly slower in the winter, but with the proper diligence, she will be just fine. That and the snow she will encounter in your area is much different then the black ice encountered down here in the city.

She will be cold though.

·
8,046 Posts
Her skin will match her hair.:sonicjay:

Just give her Rays summer car, he' doesn't use it in the winter.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts