Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Trouble
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing a frame up build of a 1979 CJ7 and I'm at the point I need to purchase a steering box. I have the excellent M.O.R.E. heavy duty steering bracket ready to go but I need the steering box.

I'm wondering if I should consider doing power steering at this point. Most of the Jeeps (if not all) back in 79 were all manual steering, not that it matters. I'm more interested in not killing my arms trail riding but then again a power steering pump is just another thing that can break while in no mans land.

A lot of choices going from a standard OEM Saginaw steering for about $250 up to the crazy insane price of $450 for a top of the line AGR (manual steering).

Any suggestions? I've seen cordone stuff at the local auto parts places but seems like they are borderline garbage for quality.

Would like to get your opinions. What do you get for the big bucks on a steering box.

·
Premium Member
4,992 Posts
For just mild wheeling I wouldn't spend a stupid amount on a box
I would go with power steering though
What size tires are you planning on running?
I believe a wagoneer box is an upgrade from stock, I don't see any reason for a big money box unless you are planning on huge tires and hardcore wheeling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Trouble
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. How do you know what year wagoneer to look for that will work on my 79CJ7?

If I make it power steering, anything I need to know before I start buying stuff? What is the process of making a CJ7 from manual to power steering? My thought is, you would need a steering box that has the hose fittings that would run from your power steering pump that you now have to get running with another belt. Anything else?

If anyone has a part number for the wagoneer steering box and power steering pump and lines, that would be helpful.

·
Premium Member
4,992 Posts
I found this, which seems to be a great start.

Looks like it would be a pretty pricey upgrade.

I would find as much used stuff as possible
But I would probably buy a new steering box
I would think the parts were fairly easy to come by
I'm sure there is some here
You still haven't said how big of a tire you are going to run

·
Trouble
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally I picked 35's then moved to 33's because I want to be able to drive in on the freeway from Davison to Detroit (once a week) but I like the looks and functionality on the trail better with 35's... so anyhow, haven't made up my mind until I have to go buy them. I have whats equal to a 33 now in a street tire which might be what I go with for now due to the crazy amount of money I spent so far on this project.

·
Premium Member
4,992 Posts
Originally I picked 35's then moved to 33's because I want to be able to drive in on the freeway from Davison to Detroit (once a week) but I like the looks and functionality on the trail better with 35's... so anyhow, haven't made up my mind until I have to go buy them. I have whats equal to a 33 now in a street tire which might be what I go with for now due to the crazy amount of money I spent so far on this project.

You could always put it together with the original parts to get it going then decide later

·
Registered
86 Posts
Keep the manual steering and enjoy the thrill of having the steering wheel whip back and forth while going through rutted mud holes. Seriously, my buddy had p/s on his 79 CJ5 and it was much spookier to drive than mine. the biggest difference between his 5 and mine is he ran a chevy engine and I run a Lincoln (Ford) 302.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I've got a 73 cj, my box is from an 86 Oldsmobile, it is petty easy to do and way better than manual steering. Just watch out for the fitting style, early are flaired, later are o ring.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts