Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Bump It Offroad
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine put a 350/700r4/dana300 combo in his cj-5. He would like to stretch the rear about 2" to help his driveshaft length and angle. I was thinking waggy springs but I think this would move his axle to close to the gas tank. He needs to keep the rear seat for the kids, so a fuel cell or raising the tank probably won't work. Anybody with some advice on this?

·
Dare to follow me???
544 Posts
I ran into the same problem, but mine was because of lift. I went with a "true hi 9" rearend to help out the angle. You could use any hi pinion set up for the rear, but you are still going to have a very short drive shaft with that transmission. My d-shaft is about 14" long. Only other thing you could do would be to move the motor ahead and use a early short style water pump for fan clearance.

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
Lift it until the diff doesn't hit or install big enough tires that it can't travel up far enough. :teehee:

But seriously, its only going to be a problem if he has enough up-travel to hit it. Will he? My diff hit the tank skid after I lifted my CJ-7 4" and added some shackle, but that was because I was running 31's and the axle could go all the way to the factory bumpstop without hitting anything. It still didn't hit by much and I had a 20-gallon tank. It just dented the upper portion of the diff cover a little (didn't affect fluid capacity or the ring) and was never a problem after that. Some extended rear bumpstops may do the trick, or at least be a good temporary provision.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.