Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for a cross shaft for the 8.25 limited slip diff I bought used. The stealership only sells them in the spider gear set ($200+). Richmond gear told me they have them and gave me the part number and measurments. I ordered one from DTS and they measured it and it was too big. They called DANA who makes the trac-lock for chrysler and they told him the only way to get one is from the dealer. It is a restricted part for outside sales.

So this means I would have to spend an extra $200+ for a damn cross shaft and not even use the spiders I get too. That is soooo ghey.

·
Pickup Agent
2,094 Posts
I have been looking for a cross shaft for the 8.25 limited slip diff I bought used. The stealership only sells them in the spider gear set ($200+). Richmond gear told me they have them and gave me the part number and measurments. I ordered one from DTS and they measured it and it was too big. They called DANA who makes the trac-lock for chrysler and they told him the only way to get one is from the dealer. It is a restricted part for outside sales.

So this means I would have to spend an extra $200+ for a damn cross shaft and not even use the spiders I get too. That is soooo ghey.

Ok, who is porking who ?? :tonka:

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, who is porking who ?? :tonka:
yeah yeah yeah. It looks like DTS can get the correct one from richmond. The one they got in today is for an open carrier, hence the larger diameter. I might be okay now.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
ur looking for such common parts at the dealership??? i think ur screwing yourself. call a couple local junkyards and tell them you need the spider gears and cross shaft and pay them a few bucks for it.

·
The Green Machine
4,197 Posts
how are they screwing you? Sounds like you screwed yourself by not buying a complete carrier, or at least not doing your homework before you bought it.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chrysler is screwing me because in order to get 1 part that should cost like $30 max, I have to buy the whole spider kit that costs over $200. Understand now?

I went to the dealer after a couple of drivetrain shops told me I would have to buy it from the dealer. DANA, the company who makes the part in question, said it is a dealer only part.

As far as buying it without the part, yeah, it is my fault. I figured since the guy replaced this with a aftermarket unit, it would come with all required parts since none of the factory parts would be needed on the aftermarket unit. It was not noted in the thread that this piece was not included.

All the junkyards I talked to said they would only sell me the complete axle. I don't want to have an axle hanging around for one little piece.

I called richmond gear, DTS, yukon gear and a guy who DTS told me to call. I believe I did some research in finding the part at least.

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
Most rear axles are like that.

I remember back in '83 having to buy a whole spider set to get the cross shaft for a 10 Bolt.

I just went to the JY and pulled one out myself for $5.

·
More boost than yours:)
1,252 Posts
Call up Weller in GR. I'm pretty sure they have everything. I think I got one for my S10 a few years ago for like $15.

Phill

1 - 9 of 9 Posts