Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't have a link for this yet.

Edit: Autoblog: http://www.autoblog.com/2007/07/26/breaking-chrysler-announces-lifetime-powertrain-warranty/

Starting today, July 26, Chrysler will offer our customers in the United States
a new Lifetime Powertrain Warranty on most new Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge
vehicles.

The program will be the first of its kind offered by any automaker, and it will
apply to most new model-year 2006, 2007 and 2008 vehicles purchased from dealer
inventory on or after July 26, 2007. The warranty will cover the cost of all
parts and labor needed to repair covered powertrain components.

The new warranty is limited to the first registered owner or retail lessee. To
maintain warranty coverage, the owner must have a powertrain inspection
performed free of charge by an authorized Chrysler, Jeep or Dodge dealer once
every five years. Vehicles will continue to have the three-year/36,000-mile
Basic Limited Warranty for other components.

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
wonder what the deductible will be, like if they increase it every 5 years or something.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Talk about a gamble.. i guess you assume most people only keep there cars for 2-4 years.... but there are those people who are dutch enough to keep them for 10-15 years.. this could be an interesting one to watch un-fold even more so if someone else buys Chrysler down the road. More interesting i think is the FREE service inspection every five years.. Is this where they give you the long ass list of shit that needs to be done to get there money back out of this deal

·
Stick it up your ass
3,071 Posts

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Chrysler to offer lifetime powertrain warranty on all new vehicles
The Detroit News 07/26/07
by Josee Valcourt
(Copyright 2006)
Chrysler announced this morning that it will offer a nontransferable lifetime powertrain warranty on all new vehicles beginning today.

The unconventional offer will be good for 2007 and 2008 cars and trucks at showrooms, and covers all parts and labor for engine, transmission, and drive systems. The new warranty is limited to the first registered owner or customer leasing a vehicle.

Chrysler's existing warranty program covers the same parts up to 36,000 miles or three years on all Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep models.

"We came to the decision that we don't want to match everybody," said Steven Landry, Chrysler's executive vice president of sales and marketing, service and parts for North America. "We wanted to go way beyond that."

The move is a "huge step," and is the "best warranty coverage in the industry," Landry said during a media conference call Thursday morning. The new offer that essentially covers any parts that "drives the motion of the vehicle" is expensive.

In 2002, Chrysler launched a seven-year/70,000 mile warranty for its vehicles

Increasing its warranty cover stems from a meeting with Chrysler's dealer council in January where retailers' major gripes were discussed. The top issues that concerned dealers were stock inventory, marketing and warranty, Landry said.

The automaker has pushed inventory levels down, and poured millions to prop up dealer and national advertisement. Now it is boosting warranty. "Our power train at 3/36, it was OK but not as good as seven year," Landry said.

The executive said should a new owner decide to sell their vehicle within the first three years, Chrysler's standard three-year/36,000-mile coverage will replace the lifetime powertrain warranty for the subsequent owner.

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts
just powertrain though. How many people buy a car new and keep it over 100K miles (what some/most facory warranties are)

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
no mention of the 3/36 being pro-rated from date of manufacturing for second owner either.

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just powertrain though. How many people buy a car new and keep it over 100K miles (what some/most facory warranties are)
I think that's the point, smart guy. A ton of us own/DD vehicles over 100k and we deal with the issues that have developed after the first owner, who probably dumped it to avoid the complicated powertrain issues that could arise. Now people will be more inclined to buy new and keep them longer as well.

By extending it to cover the bloated 2006 inventory, they will clear out the overhead, too.

·
One shot, One Kill
462 Posts
to bad they did not offer that on 1993 model's. I bought my W250 w/cummins new in dec. 1992. I still own it and it has 320,000 miles on it now. They dont like customers like me cause I have not bought another new truck since then. I am not dutch just like the truck to well to get another. BTM.

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts
I think that's the point, smart guy. A ton of us own/DD vehicles over 100k and we deal with the issues that have developed after the first owner, who probably dumped it to avoid the complicated powertrain issues that could arise. Now people will be more inclined to buy new and keep them longer as well.
I disagree to a point. People wont keep their vehicles any longer than before. Chevy already has the 100K warranty. Ford has the 100K mile warranty on the PSD and the Focus, and 60K on everything else.

Its been my conclusion that people who like to buy new, like to buy new every 3-4 years... not buy new and drive for 8+ years without modification to the powertrain.

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its been my conclusion that people who like to buy new, like to buy new every 3-4 years...
And what conclusion did you come to when you did the 3-4 year math on average mileage and thought about why people buy new so often? I bought my DD XJ with 125k at Xmas 2006. It has 175k now. A lot of people drive a lot. This kind of thing is appealing to them.

·
Blowd up
6,335 Posts
It will probably do what they are trying to achieve and win a few customers who otherwise wouldn't consider them. For the guy who does keep his crap a long time, seems like it would be the cats ass.

·
Are we there yet?
1,994 Posts
I can see where this might persuade people who usually buy newer, but used vehicles to buy new. This will allow the dealerships to hold less used inventory and more new inventory as the demand could switch to be that way (benefit of buying new vs. used).

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
New Chrysler owners with this warranty will have to total out their cars to buy new ones because Chrysler will keep fixing them and nobody else will buy them with a bazillion miles and no warranty. :sonicjay:

·
Resident Slasher
284 Posts
no mention of the 3/36 being pro-rated from date of manufacturing for second owner either.
The remainder of the 3/36 will still apply to the second owner....

Only little thing is you must have it inspected free of charge at the dealer once every five years....doesn't seem like a big deal and it's absolutely free.

Diesel engines and cab and chassis trucks are not eligible.

I'm excited about it, I was bummed when they dropped the 7/70 powertrain. Now I don't have to hear about the GM/Ford powertrain warranty every other day. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
14,643 Posts
I disagree to a point. People wont keep their vehicles any longer than before. Chevy already has the 100K warranty. Ford has the 100K mile warranty on the PSD and the Focus, and 60K on everything else.

Its been my conclusion that people who like to buy new, like to buy new every 3-4 years... not buy new and drive for 8+ years without modification to the powertrain.
Remember, you live in Detroit. Outside of this city, especially in the south and west, people buy new cars a lot less frequent. I have seen something like every 8-10 years (not positive on that though)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts