Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I was born in the desert
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to pick up another Cherokee in the next couple weeks and was wondering if there is anything I should or shouldn't know. I'm interested in the 97-2001 model year. I know the six bangers run forever if they are well taken care of but I don't know what they changed in the engine over the years. What year did they offer the 27-29 spline 8.25 and was the 35 still in use in these years? Just your basic facts and some advice would be great. This will be my new dd. I haven't even ridden in a newer XJ yet so I don't know what to expect as far as changes from my 92.

:beer: :beer: :chauncy:

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
i think i remember seein that they started using the 29 spline in ~95-97, and yes they still used the 35 in those years, i dont think as much tho

·
DGAF
237 Posts
The 29 spline is like 96 or 97 thru 2001 or something like that. and i love my 98.... i didnt think i would like it better because i always liked the interior on the older ones. but after having one i like the new body style more. not sure if they did anything to the engine.

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
If you get a Cherokee with ABS, it will have the dana 35.
fixed:thumb: No jeep that came factory with the 8.25 had ABS.

They changed the 8.25 to the 29 spline shafts in 97, some late 96's got them though, too.

2000-2001 used a LP d30 in the front, but if this is just going to be a DD, I wouldn't worry about that.

The 2000-2001 they changed the ignition to coil packs rather than a distributor.

I think that covers it, good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts