Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bigdogwaggy and I decided to do a review of some of my Chinese LED's so here it is:

allright here is a quick writeup on some led's. Most of these are led cubes and full light bars, we will give as much info as possible about each pictured. Disclaimer: although these are pretty good representations that not all factors were 100% the same. There were different lights mounted on 3 different vehicles at different lift heights as well as minor ground and mounting/aiming differences. but you get the idea.. there are some trees as well as a gentle hill with trees in the far background for reference points. will try to give a guessed distance as to each of the major points. The main points to watch are the tree and the hill then the back row of trees .

first the vehicles and the basic lights we will be lighting up with.

2004 WJ Limited with 2.5" lift ( this is also the one used for the stock light reference point as it had the best looking stock lights ( least amount of fogging and such,) as well as the least amount of lift making them the most "stock" lights among the test group)

the lights are as follows
stock headlights ( for a base reference distance/color)
the center bar is a Blitzpro 15D 3 watt LED
and the cubes on the sides are Blitzpro 6D 3 watt LED
Blitzpro no longer sells lights but you can get them from superbrightleds

next is a 2002 WJ Overland with 6" lift and has the following lights tested

the main led bar is a Lampus 10" Spot bar

the small cubes below the bumper are Hanma 4 watt LED Flood cubes

the last vehicle is a 2001 tacoma and has lots of lights.

the lower bar is a Hanma 20" 3 watt LED dual row combo beam bar.

the roof mounted bar is a Hanma 40" 10 watt LED spot bar

the rear high mount cubes are Hanma 4 watt LED spot cubes.

and the lower rear single row are Blitzpro 6lz 1 watt LED flood.

as well as a 6led 3watt ea cube spot pattern

6led 3watt ea single row with a flood pattern

and now on to the comparison shots!

we will start with the stock low beams on the wj as this is about the focal point of the majority of the lights is a bit fuzzy, but you get the idea.

I believe this was: Blitzpro 15D and both 6D's

all with headlights

Blitzpro 6D cubes only

the single row flood. and remmber that this is a SINGLE light, not a pair!

the single row flood again

here is the single 6led cube. again this is a single light! ( and it lit up the branch hanging a bit making it a little harder to see that it cast light a bit further up the hill. ( can even see some of the back row of trees)) this alone seemed to be about one of the best bang for the buck lights.

all on on the offroad wj

just the lower 4led cubes in flood pattern

just the main bar

and now for the bright one! this rig is set up for silver lake at night

the main lower

the upper long range ( looks a bit different but the angle from the hight is part of it, the other part after looking at the pics closer is the grass being lit up and looking greener were the main part of the beam is hitting.

a little different angle from hood high to show the distance better

both upper and lower front bars

the rear low bumper mount 6led bar with the 1watt leds

upper 4led high mount

another angle

same lights with yellow covers ( for like fog )

and the high and low together

same shot with the cover on the upper light

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
Nice write up and comparison! Thanks. Oh and when do you get to run the dunes at night? :sonicjay:

·
Premium Member
10,939 Posts
I'd like to see a comparison with teh cheap china ones to Rigid, and then also to Lifetime LED's.

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
I have a $400 rigid and have only used it twice. :( I think for my next led, if there is a next, will be a cheaper import. It's hard to use it Offroad if you wheel with anyone.

·
rack tap re-rack click
13,502 Posts
I have a $400 rigid and have only used it twice. :( I think for my next led, if there is a next, will be a cheaper import. It's hard to use it Offroad if you wheel with anyone.
Me too...I mounted mine to my explorer wired to the high beams...best mod yet

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,451 Posts
I've never invested in high dollar LED's. I have some cheaper KC lights that I never turn on, I can't imagine where I would use the LED's. The only place I have wished for better lighting is at KOH.

·
Duck Shootin' Wheelerer!!
4,371 Posts
I've never invested in high dollar LED's. I have some cheaper KC lights that I never turn on, I can't imagine where I would use the LED's. The only place I have wished for better lighting is at KOH.
Loonie???:woot:

·
Mud Slut-Hit Every Hole!!
2,470 Posts
Here are a couple pics of my 4 led Cree china ones off amazon. They were 12 bucks each. seem like really nice lights and work great. These are the floods fo loading and working on stuff at night. I also have a set of the spots in the front and I love em.

·
Duck Shootin' Wheelerer!!
4,371 Posts
No, I don't think so. Loonie is not high speed and you don't need to see more than 100 ft in front of yourself. What benefit would a $400 light be?
I was thinking the cheap LED's would make night wheeling like day wheeling!

My $18 lights were plenty for Loonie. There was no lack of light this year, that's for sure :sonicjay:
Exacary!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice write up and comparison! Thanks. Oh and when do you get to run the dunes at night? :sonicjay:
Thanks. There are extended hours essentially between Memorial and Labor day.
Video from our last night run.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZOTLiudMoU

I'd like to see a comparison with teh cheap china ones to Rigid, and then also to Lifetime LED's.
We would be glad to if someone wants to donate the rigid bar.

Like people above have stated, its hard to justify spending the money on a high dollar bar with the amount of times you need it. I use them more than I really need to also.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
As what others have said, I haven't ever needed more than my stock headlights offer. I've used highbeam maybe three times wheeling. Those of you that wheel behind me and have these super bright lights..... I'm going to accidentally dislodge a rock that takes them out! Nothing worse than being blinded from behind!

That being said, nice comparison! I'm interested in some small LED lights to mount facing to the side and back for when you miss a turn or want to see down a trail without having to turn into the trail.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,451 Posts
I was thinking the cheap LED's would make night wheeling like day wheeling!

Exacary!
Long distance lights are different than rock lights. On that note, I have $15 mini driving lights underneath for rock lights. Still very simple and inexpensive.

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
Long distance lights are different than rock lights. On that note, I have $15 mini driving lights underneath for rock lights. Still very simple and inexpensive.
Yeah, the LED stuff is cool, and I've even built several myself .... but 3 or 4 $9 tractor lights in the flood pattern are usually plenty for crawling or standard trail wheeling.

As you said, in an organized trail run capacity, bright lights get old shining at you for hours.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts