Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
likes him some Red Dog
2,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With our chicks growing daily, no time like the present to build a coop. My Saturday started at 6:45 am by making a fire to heat the home, making a loaf of bread, and cooking some french toast, eggs, and bacon with coffee in a hearts mug.

Then it was out to the garage to finish welding up my foundation legs. The idea is for these to tether the coop to the ground during windstorms.

Yards were meant to be parked in. :teehee:

Foundation squared up and ready to be dropped into place.

Basic 2x4 wall construction for the front and back. This is the 6' back wall ready to go.

My supervisors

About 11am, my cavalry showed up. My bro and our friend.

Doing some figurin'

Now things are rolling along!

Best sawhorse ever: my trailer. I was also pretty stoked that I finally taught myself how to use both a speed and framing square!

Naked.

Clothed. Did all the siding myself since my cavalry had stuff to do and left.

All closed in and roof on.

As it sits now.

Still have to cut out two side windows and the pop door. Make shingled awnings for the windows. Felt and shingle the roof, and make all my inner accessories. Caulk all seems, and paint. But all in all, I'm pleased with the amount done today. We'll be using the deep litter method with the dirt floor. The sliding glass door was free (thanks Monkeyevil) and I figured it would be excellent for light while also filling my door need. The door faces the morning sun and the lower back is towards the heaviest of our wind storms and weather. I used 2x8s for my rafters since I wanting a full 6" of ventilation across the 10' span. Based on the info I've read, 1sqft of ventilation is required for every 10 sqft of floor space. I have roughly 80 sqft of floor so the rafter ventilation of 10 sqft (.5'x10'x2(front and back)) should be more than enough. Then my side windows will just be added gravy in the summer and I can close them up in the winter should I choose. All rafter vents and windows will be lined with 1/2" hardware cloth and eventually I'll also run hardware cloth around the perimeter sunk in the ground.

We will be free ranging our 15 chickens during the day with the dogs helping to protect them, unless predators prove to be too much an inconvenience.

:woot:

·
Kitten I'm gonna eat you!
3,760 Posts
yea no shit. we just got a cheap barn from home despot and then put a wire cage around it.

·
likes him some Red Dog
2,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you really over build everything dont you?

Yes. It's a sickness and I can't help it. My neighbor said the same thing when I built the wood sides for my trailer. :sonicjay::sonicjay:

This was suppose to be a simple coop out of scrap material...

·
likes him some Red Dog
2,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks nice! Sorry I could not come out to help.

'Tis all good my friend. Wouldn't want you to catch the chicken fever :teehee:

It was kinda weird though, working all day and not being belittled or emotionally pummeled :sonicjay:

·
Cadillac pimpin
3,632 Posts
so i know this is a stupid question... but what exactly is the reasoning behind keeping chickens?

do you just raise them and feed them your preferred diet so that it's a better quality meat? so you're not getting all the growth hormone underdeveloped meat like all our supermarkets are filled with? is it more cost efficient to so?

impressive build for only one days worth of work! :thumb:
just curious.

·
likes him some Red Dog
2,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so i know this is a stupid question... but what exactly is the reasoning behind keeping chickens?

do you just raise them and feed them your preferred diet so that it's a better quality meat? so you're not getting all the growth hormone underdeveloped meat like all our supermarkets are filled with? is it more cost efficient to so?

impressive build for only one days worth of work! :thumb:
just curious.

We got them for the following reasons in order of importance:

1) They're funny to watch roaming the yard, and we're releasing our inner hillbilly bones.
2) To help attack our crazy ant infestation in the yard.
3) Fresh eggs because I eat a metric shit ton of eggs :woot:
4) Meat when they stop laying.

I've heard you don't really save much money raising meat birds unless your scale is quite a bit larger. And no, I couldn't care less what growth hormones I'm eating in store bought chicken. But I will definitely process a bird here and there just so I can play with knives :d:

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
knives aren't the hard or shitty part, plucking/defeathering is what brings the suck.

·
Buy a Fiat! Save the UAW!
14,442 Posts
well they must not be to hard to look after. my neighbor is like 88 years old and looks after a couple hundred free rangers. chases them in the coop every night.. I think he lost about 10 last year to foxes and what not. raccoons are your worse enemy. makes for late night target practice.

·
Registered
881 Posts
We got them for the following reasons in order of importance:

1) They're funny to watch roaming the yard, and we're releasing our inner hillbilly bones.
2) To help attack our crazy ant infestation in the yard.
3) Fresh eggs because I eat a metric shit ton of eggs :woot:
4) Meat when they stop laying.

I've heard you don't really save much money raising meat birds unless your scale is quite a bit larger. And no, I couldn't care less what growth hormones I'm eating in store bought chicken. But I will definitely process a bird here and there just so I can play with knives :d:

They will be the toughest chicken you will ever eat.

·
Buy a Fiat! Save the UAW!
14,442 Posts
They will be the toughest chicken you will ever eat.
yeah since most chickens have the capacity to lay between 3000-4000 eggs over a life time. by that 4000th egg that will be one tough ass bird :sonicjay:

1 - 20 of 65 Posts