Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
You seem to misread my comments. It was a legit question. You also seem to have missed that I think they are great commuter vehicle. I just don’t believe they are all that great for long distance trips.
The whole point of the purchase is that's what I use it for lol.

I'll never use it more than 200 miles in a day.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
No, you missed the point. It is not a perfect world. Instruments fail. You planned charging station is out of service or a detour takes you the long way.
Remember Gilligan’s Island? For a three hour tour, a three hour tour.
My planned charging stations are. At home. At work.

But you're right, if rogue dinosaurs attack I'll rue the day I dared to not be a slave to foreign countries who hate me for my transportation needs.

·
I'll Direc your TV
9,337 Posts
My planned charging stations are. At home. At work.

But you're right, if rogue dinosaurs attack I'll rue the day I dared to not be a slave to foreign countries who hate me for my transportation needs.
Unless you're charging your system purley off of home generated power, like a homemade water turbine out of an old washer, or wind power, and you buy foreign generated batteries....you're still a slave to foreign countries who hate your for your transportation needs.

I think the only real way to use that argument and it be actually true instead of a cop out argument for leasing a new car, is to have a wood fueled car that you pieced together for essentially free. Otherwise, it's just an excuse to make someone feel better. At the end of the day, you're still throwing money away cause after 2 years you either give the car back and you're out 5 or 6k that you'll never get back, or you buy out that car for more than it's actually worth on the used car lot.

Is it a lesser evil on the reliance scale? Absolutely. Is it cheaper than outright buying a car? Sure seems to be. Are you still perpetuating reliance on foreign lithium mining and a reliance on organic fuel fired power generation? Also yes. Agreeing to monthly payments to a big auto dealer, and agreeing to pay full coverage insurance on said leave and claiming that it's a self reliance move is like buying a brand new iphone 4000 outright for X$thousands of dollars just to say "they're not gonna stick me with a chump payment plan".

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
I flatly went from 22 dollars a day in gasoline to 3.00 a day in electricity.

That's the reason I did it and no other.

A month into this, I'm still happy I did it.

No amount of WHAT HAPPENS YOU YOU RUN OUT OF ELERCTRICITY is going to change that.

Nor is any amount of me saying I've never been near running out of charge and never will be going to change anyone's mind who's in on hating electric cars because right wing meme's told them to.

·
Kitten I'm gonna eat you!
3,824 Posts
Unless you're charging your system purley off of home generated power, like a homemade water turbine out of an old washer, or wind power, and you buy foreign generated batteries....you're still a slave to foreign countries who hate your for your transportation needs.

I think the only real way to use that argument and it be actually true instead of a cop out argument for leasing a new car, is to have a wood fueled car that you pieced together for essentially free. Otherwise, it's just an excuse to make someone feel better. At the end of the day, you're still throwing money away cause after 2 years you either give the car back and you're out 5 or 6k that you'll never get back, or you buy out that car for more than it's actually worth on the used car lot.

Is it a lesser evil on the reliance scale? Absolutely. Is it cheaper than outright buying a car? Sure seems to be. Are you still perpetuating reliance on foreign lithium mining and a reliance on organic fuel fired power generation? Also yes. Agreeing to monthly payments to a big auto dealer, and agreeing to pay full coverage insurance on said leave and claiming that it's a self reliance move is like buying a brand new iphone 4000 outright for X$thousands of dollars just to say "they're not gonna stick me with a chump payment plan".

Man you must have been real pissy when we went away from horse drawn carriages. The thing fed and watered itself, got rid of waste, made duplicates and was generally green.

·
I'll Direc your TV
9,337 Posts
Man you must have been real pissy when we went away from horse drawn carriages. The thing fed and watered itself, got rid of waste, made duplicates and was generally green.
Just making a point. Claiming that buying or leasing a brand new, something or other, is somehow making someone "less reliant/more independent" is BS. Call it what it is, it's simply about the $$. Which is a more than fair reason in itself.

·
Yooper In Training
7,597 Posts
BuT wHaT iF yOu RuN oUt Of gAsOlInE??? We DoN't HaVe EnOuGh StAtIoNs To SuPpOrT tHeSe HoRsELesS cArRiAgEs!!! YoU cAn JuSt FeEd YoUr HoRsE hAy FrOm NeXt To ThE rOaD iN fRoNt Of YoUr SiStEr CoUsIn'S hOuSe WhEn He GeTs TiReD! WhAt'S NeXt, LeTtInG WoMeN vOtE?????

·
Gustafson
10,713 Posts
BuT wHaT iF yOu RuN oUt Of gAsOlInE??? We DoN't HaVe EnOuGh StAtIoNs To SuPpOrT tHeSe HoRsELesS cArRiAgEs!!! YoU cAn JuSt FeEd YoUr HoRsE hAy FrOm NeXt To ThE rOaD iN fRoNt Of YoUr SiStEr CoUsIn'S hOuSe WhEn He GeTs TiReD! WhAt'S NeXt, LeTtInG WoMeN vOtE?????
Don't be silly... Women will never be able to vote....

·
Mr. Special Snowflake.
13,615 Posts

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
It's been another week.

Another 350 miles.

Still not dead.

Still haven't witnessed the total collapse of the power grid.

Still haven't done anything much but golf cart my way to and from work and around town a bit.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
It's about as fast as a stock Fox body.

It's definitely faster than my 65 F250, diesel Toyota, and 97 F-250.

It's definitely slower than my turbo C10 or turbo D100.

So it's all relative lol.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts