Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
I'm not old, honest...
31,152 Posts
I love it when I read this. People think these things have like 5 ft of range and not hundreds of miles. It's not powered by a makita battery.
My neighbors on each side of me each have one. They both love it for commuting and tell me they suck for long distance travel. More than once they have pulled into a charging station and A) found a long line or, B) it is out of order.

I think they are great for daily commuting when you can charge at home or work but for long distance where you need a random charging station, they currently have their drawbacks.

·
Sore and Tired 24/7
1995 Ford Bronco 5.8 4X4 1996 F150 4x4 4.9
13,194 Posts
I love it when I read this. People think these things have like 5 ft of range and not hundreds of miles. It's not powered by a makita battery.
He never mentioned ranged, simply asked what happenens when you run it out of juice on the side of the road? Just like gas tanks, people will push them to thier limits. With fuel, you call a buddy to bring you 2 gallons of fuel. With and EV?

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,301 Posts
everyone that I have talked to really love them. If you had the older model and were able to have the battery replaced due to the recall, its a great little car. The new ones seem to be pretty trouble free. A few units here and there have some minor issues.....but that is no different than anything else.

·
Kitten I'm gonna eat you!
3,824 Posts
My neighbors on each side of me each have one. They both love it for commuting and tell me they suck for long distance travel. More than once they have pulled into a charging station and A) found a long line or, B) it is out of order.

I think they are great for daily commuting when you can charge at home or work but for long distance where you need a random charging station, they currently have their drawbacks.
Buddy of mine has a Volkwagon ID4. He has picked people up from Detroit metro before coming from St. Johns. He said he was at his limit when he got home, but he expected that. I kinda wonder what they consider long distance. He and I have looked at what it would take to get from St Johns to Escanaba and it was doable with a level 3 charge in either Gaylord or St Ignace and only added 1 hour to the whole trip in a tourist town.

He never mentioned ranged, simply asked what happenens when you run it out of juice on the side of the road? Just like gas tanks, people will push them to thier limits. With fuel, you call a buddy to bring you 2 gallons of fuel. With and EV?
I understand that, but unless you are expected to over drive them prior planning fixes that. It was brought up what happens when we have a freak winter of 78 snow storm that stops people in their tracks. my buddy's answer was " I burn 8% battery on the heater till either I leave or they clear the road, then drive it home."

·
I'm not old, honest...
31,152 Posts
Buddy of mine has a Volkwagon ID4. He has picked people up from Detroit metro before coming from St. Johns. He said he was at his limit when he got home, but he expected that. I kinda wonder what they consider long distance. He and I have looked at what it would take to get from St Johns to Escanaba and it was doable with a level 3 charge in either Gaylord or St Ignace and only added 1 hour to the whole trip in a tourist town.

I understand that, but unless you are expected to over drive them prior planning fixes that. It was brought up what happens when we have a freak winter of 78 snow storm that stops people in their tracks. my buddy's answer was " I burn 8% battery on the heater till either I leave or they clear the road, then drive it home."
Provided there is no one else in line when you get there.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I still haven't run out of charge.

I charged Monday, 90 miles yesterday, 45 miles today, then from GR to Kalamazoo. Stopped in Portage, charged up at a station with 8 chargers, cost me 8 bucks, took 12 minutes, went back to GR, then 45 miles home.

There's no convincing the people who want to live in 50's world, and that's fine, idrc, they're lost anyway.

I still enjoy the car.

Friday when I want to go to Ohio and get a truck bed, I'll just get in my Ram and go, it's no big deal lol.

·
I'm not old, honest...
31,152 Posts

I charged Monday, 90 miles yesterday, 45 miles today, then from GR to Kalamazoo. Stopped in Portage, charged up at a station with 8 chargers, cost me 8 bucks, took 12 minutes, went back to GR, then 45 miles home.

There's no convincing the people who want to live in 50's world, and that's fine, idrc, they're lost anyway.

I still enjoy the car.

Friday when I want to go to Ohio and get a truck bed, I'll just get in my Ram and go, it's no big deal lol.
So how many miles are you getting on a charge?

·
Gustafson
10,713 Posts
I still haven't ran out of gas.... :LOL:

I don't really know what your point is.. If you're not a moron, you'll watch the gauge and make sure you "fill up".

·
Desert Rat
7,599 Posts
Well, it’s not like someone can bring you a five gallon can of electricity.
I have this cool little LED flashlight. It never gets dim, it goes right to off. I imagine it is a lot like that. I would also guess that the batteries hold less charge for shorter time as they age. Just guessing.

Could you put an emergency quick charge on it with one of those suitcase generator?

World Font Line Engineering Technology

·
Kitten I'm gonna eat you!
3,824 Posts
I have this cool little LED flashlight. It never gets dim, it goes right to off. I imagine it is a lot like that. I would also guess that the batteries hold less charge for shorter time as they age. Just guessing.

Could you put an emergency quick charge on it with one of those suitcase generator?
I have this cool LED flashlight too, it has a battery indicator I look at, when it goes low I charge it. It's pretty awesome.
I also have a dodge with his cool fuel indicator. When it goes low I fill it up. It's pretty awesome too.

• Haha
Reactions: brewmenn

·
Registered
10,189 Posts

View attachment 282389
Wi-fi and Bluetooth thermostats will be able to be accessed be the power company. If they don't comply will they in turn reset the thermostats to what the state says it should be at then? I know with the boxes they have on the side of my house they can turn off my AC if there is a need to conserve on electricity on hot summer days.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
So how many miles are you getting on a charge?
I've never run it empty.

I also don't know how many hours my phone battery lasts, I simply plug both it.

It's not a big deal to me, it causes me no inconvenience, and nothing about that is going to change your mind, and that's fine, I still don't care, and I still enjoy the car and the stupid little amount of money I put into running it.

·
I'm not old, honest...
31,152 Posts
I've never run it empty.

I also don't know how many hours my phone battery lasts, I simply plug both it.

It's not a big deal to me, it causes me no inconvenience, and nothing about that is going to change your mind, and that's fine, I still don't care, and I still enjoy the car and the stupid little amount of money I put into running it.
You seem to misread my comments. It was a legit question. You also seem to have missed that I think they are great commuter vehicle. I just don’t believe they are all that great for long distance trips.

·
Desert Rat
7,599 Posts
That's the point, all of it. You got it.
No, you missed the point. It is not a perfect world. Instruments fail. You planned charging station is out of service or a detour takes you the long way.
Remember Gilligan’s Island? For a three hour tour, a three hour tour.

Shit happens. Or we would not need road service.
”The best rescue is self rescue”
When traveling cross country, I always throw a 2.5 gallon jug of diesel in the truck. If I drag a trailer, I’ve been known to carry two spares for it, even though the truck has an air compressor and plug kit.

Think the unthinkable.
Remember the seven “P”s:
Proper
Previous
Planning
Prevents
Piss
Poor
Performance

41 - 60 of 73 Posts