Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I see not having to change the oil but never replacing the brakes.... Tell me more.
EV's use their electric motors to drag to slow down. Applying external force to an electric motor generates power. This is how they do regenerative braking. Applying external energy to a generator, makes it spin like a motor.

This puts a small amount of charge back into the battery, but also has the effective of, I very rarely actually touch the brake pedal in this car, even at a light. I pretty much drive it with one foot.

·
Registered
10,038 Posts
EV's use their electric motors to drag to slow down. Applying external force to an electric motor generates power. This is how they do regenerative braking. Applying external energy to a generator, makes it spin like a motor.

This puts a small amount of charge back into the battery, but also has the effective of, I very rarely actually touch the brake pedal in this car, even at a light. I pretty much drive it with one foot.

Oh ok. I get it. Thanks.

·
Yooper In Training
7,570 Posts
Man, one day we're talking about trans women in sports, the next we've got offroaders buying EVs. Talk about a slippery slope. What's next, BMWs with turn signals?

·
offensive 2 the sensitive
2,872 Posts
Why are you using a Dryer plug? GM has a program for EV buyers that pays for installation of a level 2 charger at your home. I sell these things every day. They're great for what they are. Can't beat a cheap lease on one either. Beat the piss out of it and give it back in 2-3 years without a worry in the world. The people that think leasing is bad have likely never leased and are making a decision based off a friends bad experience. The good outweighs the bad with leasing 9 out of 10 times. I do hope they make the trucks and suvs more affordable though. I don't think many people realize how heavy they are due to the batteries either.

Reactions: JohnnyJ

·
Project Antitube
1,246 Posts
Leasing often does not make sense for the dollar. It usually only make sense if you are well qualified, there are decent deals at the time, the maintenance is included, the vehicle has a high residual, etc. Start throwing in stupid shit like a $300-400 lease turn in fee, lease fee more than the standard $200 dealer documentation fee, bleh bleh bleh. It's usually not a deal. Especially if they demand you pay up front. You should NEVER put a dime down on a lease. The reason for this is if you get in a car accident you are out that money. If you lease it then your insurer and the leaseholder do battle, with you owing nothing more than your deductible.

9 out of 10 leases are for people that are bad with money that should be living in an investor-owned condo and riding public transit.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Why are you using a Dryer plug? GM has a program for EV buyers that pays for installation of a level 2 charger at your home. I sell these things every day. They're great for what they are. Can't beat a cheap lease on one either. Beat the piss out of it and give it back in 2-3 years without a worry in the world. The people that think leasing is bad have likely never leased and are making a decision based off a friends bad experience. The good outweighs the bad with leasing 9 out of 10 times. I do hope they make the trucks and suvs more affordable though. I don't think many people realize how heavy they are due to the batteries either.
Because I've owned it for 6 days lol.

I've had it at my home for two days lol.

And regardless, the charger in the trunk seems to work fine with the 220 outlet that's already in the garage.

·
2,872 Posts
Because I've owned it for 6 days lol.

I've had it at my home for two days lol.

And regardless, the charger in the trunk seems to work fine with the 220 outlet that's already in the garage.
Did your dealer setup the free install of the level 2 plug?

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Did your dealer setup the free install of the level 2 plug?
I already have a plug, there's nothing special about it, it's the same plug I run my welder, plasma, CNC off of.

To answer your question though, no, I did not allow them to set up installation of anything, I already have a plug.

·
Project Antitube
1,246 Posts
Pretty sure all the normal 32amp 240v cars are only coming with the wall adapter that plugs into a 50 amp receptacle (14-50R). AKA modern electric range, RV, or welder receptacle. I haven't looked in a while, but I think it's just the larger battery packs that are seeing the 80amp/19.2kw Level 2 chargers being useful.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Pretty sure all the normal 32amp 240v cars are only coming with the wall adapter that plugs into a 50 amp receptacle (14-50R). AKA modern electric range, RV, or welder receptacle. I haven't looked in a while, but I think it's just the larger battery packs that are seeing the 80amp/19.2kw Level 2 chargers being useful.
I have the 14-50 plug on my charger thing in the trunk, and it plugs right into the socket I already had. It can also plug into a 110 outlet, which is what I do when I get to work.

But a lot of people don't have 220 in their garage, so including it in the price is a smart move.

·
Kitten I'm gonna eat you!
3,817 Posts
How's the back seat on this thing? I was looking at one, especially considering I may get employee pricing on one, but its got to fit a car seat and two boosters in the back.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
How's the back seat on this thing? I was looking at one, especially considering I may get employee pricing on one, but its got to fit a car seat and two boosters in the back.
It's really really similar to the Trax in size. With little ones it might be ok-ish, but it definitely won't grow with them lol.

·
2,872 Posts
It should have came with a dual level cord charger. If you dont want them to install the wall plug then atleast have your salesperson sign you up for the EVgo credits you can use all over the country at charging stations!

·
Direct Drive FTW
2,465 Posts
Anyone have or seen charging stations at your workplace, hotels, or grocery stores?

I think having off peak charging at more convenient places like the grocery store or your workplace(low amp) would make it easier on the grid as well as be an incentive to buy one.

You could have the thing charging and turn on the heater to get into a warm car at the end of the workday.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Anyone have or seen charging stations at your workplace, hotels, or grocery stores?

I think having off peak charging at more convenient places like the grocery store or your workplace(low amp) would make it easier on the grid as well as be an incentive to buy one.

You could have the thing charging and turn on the heater to get into a warm car at the end of the workday.
My charger plugs into any 110 outlet as well. I plug it in when I get to work and depending if I leave for lunch or to go to suppliers and customers around town, I regain 20-30 miles of charge during the day.

·
Desert Rat
7,523 Posts
My charger plugs into any 110 outlet as well. I plug it in when I get to work and depending if I leave for lunch or to go to suppliers and customers around town, I regain 20-30 miles of charge during the day.
What do you do if you run out of juice?
Is it just a tow home and plug in?
Do they bring a generator out to you?
In that situation, dead battery, how many miles can you charge in thirty minutes?

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
What do you do if you run out of juice?
Is it just a tow home and plug in?
Do they bring a generator out to you?
In that situation, dead battery, how many miles can you charge in thirty minutes?
Idk, I drive 60,000 miles a year and haven't ever seen a dead EV on the side of the road.

In a month of owning this thing, I haven't seen my battery below 60% charge.

It came with roadside assistance though, I'm assuming they'll just come haul it to the nearest charging station.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts