Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
The guy Dale doesn't know
4,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i just bought a 95 chevy c3500 std cab 2wd dually. i think it's slower than my 85 f250 6.9 idi. i sure as shit hope it pulls better than the old truck. does anyone have one of these? can i make it get out of it's own way?

·
Buy a Fiat! Save the UAW!
14,442 Posts
some of the other issues are with the injection system. the early drive by wire pumps had terrible problems with optical sensors. they would gum up and get dirty with time and the timming would get goofy. secondly the injectors go bad. if the pump has been replaced and the injectors didn't get serviced I would start there. they are cheap and they make a huge difference in performance on an older truck.

·
Registered
804 Posts
How many miles on it? Still have the factory exhaust? The particulate traps on them can cause a restriction. If the pump timing has been played with, you could also loose some power. But I would start with the basics. Do you have smoke on start, under throttle, and if so, what color is it?

·
4,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
whew, i'm hammered.

black smoke only, on startup and during acceleration. i am looking at the mechanical blowoff valve controller from kennedy. the exhaust is an oem replacement, not factory but it still sucks. i am looking at the 4 inch system that cronus hooked me up with. it has 191k on it. the truck seems to have been taken care of pretty well. there are a few things that i'll be tending to, like ac and a power steering fluid leak. but other than that so far i am happy with it.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
If it's smokink all the time I 'll say the IP timing is a little retarted and if it won't clean up after a while on the pedal you also have turbo issues. While not a big GM fan that 6.5 turbo should easily out everything but last the 6.9 IH. What are you going to do with the 6.9er?

·
Registered
92 Posts
If you’re going to get a mechanical waste gate you really should get boost & egt gauges so the engine doesn’t kaboom.

·
4,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If it's smokink all the time I 'll say the IP timing is a little retarted and if it won't clean up after a while on the pedal you also have turbo issues. While not a big GM fan that 6.5 turbo should easily out everything but last the 6.9 IH. What are you going to do with the 6.9er?
the turbo right now is suspect. there is a funky little solenoid on the valver cover that is known to cause problems. it's only like 30 bucks so i figured, what the hell.

i sold the the 6.9 to one of my buddies. i already miss the truck, just because it had so much character. btw the 6.9 got a lot better fuel mileage that the 6.5 does.

If you’re going to get a mechanical waste gate you really should get boost & egt gauges so the engine doesn’t kaboom.
those are on the list next, hoping the overtime around the shop picks up so i can start after it.

·
4,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well i found the power issue, it was the vacuum pump. wow, what a difference. i hauled my brown truck up to grayling and back before the pump was replaced, it sucked bad. i just got back from hauling 10k of scrap metal to the yard and it now works very well, plenty of power and it doesn't heat up anymore. next on the list is gauges and the 4inch exhaust.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts