Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
HURL SCOUTS
10,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I normally flat tow my jeep behind my 03 Z71 Avalanche with the 5.3 V8 but was thinking of going to a trailer setup in the possible near future and was curious of anyone who had a 1500 series GM truck with the 5.3 and trailer towed a modified jeep behind it. let forget the obvious like brake control as I the vehicle has the tow package and the trailer brake control I have towed trailers before. gearing is 3.73 with the factory limited slip 4wd model 4l60 trans. according to the manual towing capacity is 7900lbs. minus vehicle payload and such I know all that. I was more interested on power and more specifically with what type of trailer. I towed some cars on a buddy's flatbed but the trailer bed was above the wheels and there is no way I would try to tow my jeep on that style trailer. the jeep is a YJ, sbc, d44's, 35's. looking for some advice on trailers and with that motor. Thanks in advance.:thumb:

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hello
I have a Chevy Silverado 1500 Series with the 5.3 and I tow all the time, I have a Car Hauler Trailer that weighed in at 1500 Pounds and the Jeep weighed in at 5000 Pounds, As long as the jeep is not too far forward on the tounge it tows beautiful. i can send you some pics of the jeep on the trailer if you wish. the jeep was 8" lift on 33's Super Swampers. The Trailer Tires were Mid bed and Fenders.

·
Premium Member
14,643 Posts
I have an 07 Silverado 1500. It tows pretty good. This year I have towed with it to Harlan, Drummond Island and Silver lake with no issues.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I sold my CJ7 this past spring that was set up on 35s, but I towed it behing my 06 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 on my homemade trailer without any problems. I have the 5.3 with trailer tow package and 3.73 gears. My trailer weighed in at 1750 lbs and I never did get a chance to put brakes on it. I towed my CJ7 on that trailer from Ypsilanti to Evart, Mounds and the Badlands and never had a problem. I could run 75mph holding 2100 rpms and average about 14mpg while towing.

·
Registered
9,864 Posts
97 silverado short box . I have the 5.7 but i dont see a power issue with your 5.3 . I pull a tandem trailer with a 5,100 lb grand on it . Dont even know its there unless you look .

I also pull a 24 ' enclosed with the grand in it but that one you sure as hell know is there . Not recommended with out the equalizer hitch for the enclosed .

·
circling the drain
35,864 Posts
I towed a 2001 xj on a landscape style trailer and had no issues, with out brakes.

My 24 foot boat is towed at least 100 miles per week, been to the bridge and back, st. Claire on weekends (60+ each way), etc.

My only complaint actually is a bit of a lack ofpower. My boat is lighter then anything you are towing, but I do jump out of OD a lot if I use the cruise, if I drive with my foot i can keep it in OD better.

I get about 12 mpg towing at 75-80mph.

·
circling the drain
35,864 Posts
Up date , DO NOT TOW IN OD

Read the manual :sonicjay:

Insert foot in mouth.

Page 4-54

If you have an automatci transmission you can tow in D (Drive), You MAY want to shift transmission into THIRD (3) if nevessary if the transmission shifts too often.

Further on it mentions to use Tow/Haul Mode with is designed to

-Reduce the frequency and improve the predictability of transmission shifts.

You have a different truck then I do, read before you speak.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
umm. we didnt have a chevy but a dodge with the new 08 4.7 pulling a 24 ft enclosed featherlite trailer with my zj in it and it did just fine all the way down to virginia and back.

·
Go lil yellow Roobicon...
1,959 Posts
had a 1500 with a 5.3 that towed a 18 ft trailer with my TJ on it. no brakes. The power is not too bad, but when I went through PA you noticed the lack of power more. The hill's will really bog it down yes with the tow/haul switch on and I got about 10-12 mpg on both trips I took across PA.

I will also add that this was a 2000 and the 5.3 had about 90,000 on it. 2WD

·
Registered
9,864 Posts
Insert foot in mouth.

Page 4-54

Further on it mentions to use Tow/Haul Mode with is designed to

-Reduce the frequency and improve the predictability of transmission shifts.

You have a different truck then I do, read before you speak.
Check with the trans shops , see who has foot in mouth . Plus it depends on the year as i said MINE does not have tow haul mode .

Also ask you GM dealer , tow in OD and its a time bomb . Seems i picked a few thousand GM trucks off the road i may have a clue how well there trans does in OD . OF course most of them trucks were owned by know it all city slickers :tonka:

·
Money pit
2,382 Posts
I had a 2000 Gmc serria 1500 z71 That I used to tow my old Yj with well. I did like the truck fro towing one bit. didn't seen like there was enough power there. The ride with it was really really rough. Gas mileage for it was 9-10 maybe towing, and 14-16 highway/city. I disliked the truck so much I went and got a ford, All I have to say is best thing I every did. Other wise it was an alright truck

·
HURL SCOUTS
10,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
my av has the tow haul mode and when I flat tow my jeep it gets 14.5-15mpg
while it is not a good idea to tow a heavy load in OD the manual says the tow/haul mode
will keep the OD gear unused unless you maintain 55mph or more and from flat towing whenever there is a load on a hill it kicks it down to 3rd. normally on general highway driving it gets 16.8-17 mpg. and 14 in the city. one of my concerns was if/when I get a trailer was if it would require a load equalizing hitch because the weight of the jeep? I appreciate all the feedback guys as it has been very helpful.

·
circling the drain
35,864 Posts
Check with the trans shops , see who has foot in mouth . Plus it depends on the year as i said MINE does not have tow haul mode .

Also ask you GM dealer , tow in OD and its a time bomb . Seems i picked a few thousand GM trucks off the road i may have a clue how well there trans does in OD . OF course most of them trucks were owned by know it all city slickers :tonka:

I wish I could be as smart as you....My truck was owned by a snowmobiler who towed in OD with Tow Haul mode on as it was designed and recommended in the owners manual, now I tow with it more then I don't

Original trans, 165,000 Miles......

It does depend on the year, and the year he is mentioning is newer then your old know it all geloppy.

Maybe you should move out of the city?

·
I only wheel a boat.
17,266 Posts
:dunie: :chauncy:

·
1,086 Posts
I run a 2000 1500 silverado 5.3 I also use a slide in truck camper, I use a weight distribution hitch with this set up, it works surprisingly well! Although I have heard that Avalanches suck badly for towing due to the rear coil springs! Ask Kozoffroad.com he used to have one.

·
HURL SCOUTS
10,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I run a 2000 1500 silverado 5.3 I also use a slide in truck camper, I use a weight distribution hitch with this set up, it works surprisingly well! Although I have heard that Avalanches suck badly for towing due to the rear coil springs! Ask Kozoffroad.com he used to have one.

so far I have not had an issue with the heavier trailers I have towed with it but was concerned about that as well as in placing too much weight on the rear causing it to handle poorly and the sway factor. I had to tow my buddies 25' T.T. but it had the load equalizing hitch and although I didn't tow it that far it seemed ok with that weight and a level load.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts