Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. New here and allready asking for help. I bought a 2001 wrangler from my brother and only problem with it is that the check engine light comes on everytime It is gased up. He took it in and they got him for 500 bucks for a new catalitic converter and that didn't help. He bought a new gas cap and that didn't help. They would just reset computer to get light to go out and leave it at that.
Anyone know what may cause this and is there a easy fix. If I want to get light to go out without hooking it up to the computer is there a way to do it. He tried unhooking battery and that didn't do it but said he may have not left it unhooked long enough.
Anyhow great site and am looking forward to many hours of good reading
thanks
Rick

·
Needs More Cowbell
661 Posts
I've always left the battery off for about 15 to 20 minutes, but, I think 5 is what you're supposed to.

Have him try that one more time.

·
Fucking Zen as Shit
16,148 Posts
uh....... that light is coming on for a reason.

Go to autozone, they will hook up a scan tool for free and you can figure out what the issue is.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
make sure you tighten the gas cap properly. if it happens every time you gas up, it's either that, or you're leaving the vehicle running while filling up.

also, if you're gonna post that you have a code, it's not gonna do much good unless you can tell us which code. go to autozone and have them pull it then post back.

·
circling the drain
35,863 Posts
Turn the key on/off three times. The code should display in the odometer. Search for the code online and voila.
Do that, then read this thread. I am having the same issue, I found a small leak on my filler neck which I believe to be the problem.

http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=52865

There is a list of codes in a post by sandals.

Odd...I bought my 2001 jeep from my brother with an intermitten check engine light also.

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
He took it in and they got him for 500 bucks for a new catalitic converter and that didn't help.

I thought emissions equipment like convertors were covered under warranty for up to like 7 or 8 years or something? You might want to call DCX Customer Service and ask about that.

·
660 Posts
I thought emissions equipment like convertors were covered under warranty for up to like 7 or 8 years or something? You might want to call DCX Customer Service and ask about that.
8 years / 80,000 miles. Covers PCM and Cat., some other items.

Get us a Fault code and we can be much more helpful.

Again, Autozone gives free checks for the fault.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts

do you have to go to the dealer to get them warrantied??? somehow i got a feeling that even if it's only 4 years old and you pull into a midas or whatever exhaust shop and willingly pay them for a new cat, that they don't give a crap about warranty.

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
do you have to go to the dealer to get them warrantied??? somehow i got a feeling that even if it's only 4 years old and you pull into a midas or whatever exhaust shop and willingly pay them for a new cat, that they don't give a crap about warranty.

Uh, yeah - because DCX warranties the vehicle.

The way he wrote "took it in" made me assume he took it to a Dealer, because most decent shops would probably have checked the code and told him what it said. Most non-OEM shops I've dealt with are more generous with info. The $500 price tag on a converter replacement also strongly suggests a Dealership, too. Well, at least to me it does.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the help all. I didn't know the code nor how to find out but I did the key thing and it is p0432.
The jeep has 100,000 miles on it so warranty over.
I like the black tape idea myself.
thanks again

·
Buy a Fiat! Save the UAW!
14,442 Posts
I think I know whats wrong. if its only doing it when gased up then I would check the purge vent on the charcoal canister for mud blocking the vent. if its not venting it will toss a code.

by the way if your one of those guys that has to get every last drop in the tank by clicking the pump handle over and over it will do it to. it over flows gas into the canister

·
Uggh
5,044 Posts
will it throw that code if the downstream o2 is bad?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the help.
Are there more the one converter under there? Could they have replaced the wrong one?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts