Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Cadillac pimpin
3,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short( ok, not that short :tonka: )... my girlfriends parents are very well off and have always supported her and provided her w/ luxury cars, paid her rent, cell phone, etc. since she was 16 (Mustang Cobras, Grand Prix GXP, G6 GTP, Roush F-150s, and currently a Lincoln MKZ)

Unfortunately, she is constantly holding things over her head and goes through phases when they dont speak to each other and demand everything back and threaten to cancel phones and take back cars.

She is giving the Lincoln back and buying a car on her own (and completely cutting her mom out of her life - VERY long story)

Money is a big factor and I suggested a Chevy Aveo. They are horrid looking, but get 40+ MPG and can be had new for just shy of 10K.

My buddies wife just bought one and loves whippin around town in it.

What do you guys think?

My logic is that it wouldnt be a bad idea to check out a brand new one at that price instead of financing a used (typically a higher interest rate) economy car that you have no idea how it was taken care of, since w/ a lein...we must carry full coverage insurance as it is.

·
Motrcytman's spouse
7,208 Posts
Long story short( ok, not that short :tonka: )... my girlfriends parents are very well off and have always supported her and provided her w/ luxury cars, paid her rent, cell phone, etc. since she was 16 (Mustang Cobras, Grand Prix GXP, G6 GTP, Roush F-150s, and currently a Lincoln MKZ)

Unfortunately, she is constantly holding things over her head and goes through phases when they dont speak to each other and demand everything back and threaten to cancel phones and take back cars.

She is giving the Lincoln back and buying a car on her own (and completely cutting her mom out of her life - VERY long story)

Money is a big factor and I suggested a Chevy Aveo. They are horrid looking, but get 40+ MPG and can be had new for just shy of 10K.

My buddies wife just bought one and loves whippin around town in it.

What do you guys think?

My logic is that it wouldnt be a bad idea to check out a brand new one at that price instead of financing a used (typically a higher interest rate) economy car that you have no idea how it was taken care of, since w/ a lein...we must carry full coverage insurance as it is.
If you want something reliable for and will last a long time...try a Toyota.

·
Cadillac pimpin
3,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Keep the Lincoln
believe me.. id love to. but its not an option . her mom has been in & out of her life since they were babies.

its a very disfunctional situation that would take hours to explain. i wont get into it. haha

·
I'm a Newb (but not dumb)
94 Posts
I would say all the US 3 will match the Toyota in quality
I would agree with that. Hasn't anyone else noticed the amount of recalls the toyota's have been going through?

Edit: a few you should look into

if you want ugly buy this

If your thinking Chevy I would look into the Cobalt for only a few thousand more (then the aveo) you get a better looking car.

Also look into the
Hyundai Accent GS 3-Door
MSRP $10,415

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
My girlfriends, friends mother is exactly the same way. When her friend got married, the girls fiances aunt and uncle wanted to pay for the cake as their gift, the mother wouldn't let it happen. The bride didn't even get the pick out the cake, it was her mother that did it. There is a ton of other stuff too.

Her mom pinned her against a wall by her neck once because she threw away the old ketchup packets in the fridge. NAZI!!!

I used to work at a Chevy dealer as a tech. I only ever saw two Aveos come in for problems. But they are cheaply made. I worked on one and everything was plastic, but what can you expect from a $10K car? When they first came out I thought of buying one, but when I sat in one I hated that the A-pillar was so huge. It was hard to see around it.

Just my $.02 and change

·
Cadillac pimpin
3,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would say all the US 3 will match the Toyota in quality
It seems to me Honda and Toyota are also more expensive now because of their rep. Hell..a loaded Civic is 20+ grand.

·
Premium Member
14,643 Posts
It seems to me Honda and Toyota are also more expensive now because of their rep. Hell..a loaded Civic is 20+ grand.
If you research this, a lot of Civic owners seem to hate the car. A buddy is buying his fiance a new car so he was looking at everything. We were amazed at the reaction that civic owners had.

Also, if you look at JD Power scores, the domestics make a pretty damn good car.

The Aveo is OK. If she can afford it, look at the G5 or G6. My wife had a GT G6 a couple of years ago and loved it....in fact, she is thinking about trading in her Trailblazer for another one.

·
i don't much care for you
2,397 Posts
my good friend just got a lease on a 08 Pontiac G6 with a V6....fully loaded 15,000 miles a year. 17" rims and sunroof power everything plus rolled in her other car. (still owed a lot on rolled over 1,000)

279 a month

·
Pres MI Dodgetruckworld
1,908 Posts
the big 3 have made a turn in quality, that Aveo got the 5 year warranty too? Couldn't be all that bad?

·
Cadillac pimpin
3,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
New cars aren't cheap...neither is financing one.
I realize that..Ive basically supported myself and worked since I was old enough. Unfortunately, the g/f has been handed everything in life. She just got her first job a couple months ago (and is 22).

They PAID her to go to college. Got a check from mommy once a week.

So the whole "workin for what you want, if you cant afford it - you dont get it" thing is an entirely new concept to her. (not her "fault", just the way she was raised...)

So I guess Im kind of the reality check of life for her, since she now doesnt have the family support (both financially and emotionally)

·
Cadillac pimpin
3,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah she has had 2 G6s already (a GTP and a gt)

The insurance on those in her name are through the roof (I realize the 4 cyl. option would be cheaper) And he wasnt crazy about the idea of having another.

(by the way, my 18 year old brother just leased the 4 cyl. for $200 flat per month, 12k per year, in my moms name--they do have great deals on the g6)

I suggested a used TJ/XJ and pushed the "reliability" factor... she didnt bite. :tonka:

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts
Ford Focus, PM me for Z plan pricing...

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
given her back ground it may be hard to convince her to go along with a slightly older/used car, but consider this: in the first few years of a car's life, they loose half their resale value or more...the mini cooper keeps about half it's value, the average car only keeps 20-30% of its value. if it were me, i'd get a bit older car that would be reliable and decent on gas and call it good. if at all possible, low enough price to pay in cash. hell, my 90 comanche with 120,000 has less repair issues than some of the new cars i see every day working at a dealership service department. newer isn't always better.

·
Cadillac pimpin
3,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ford Focus, PM me for Z plan pricing...
I already get A-plan..but I appreciate the offer.

I really like that Fusion, but is slightly more than she wants to spend I *think* (any idea what A-plan pricing would be on a base model?)

1 - 20 of 68 Posts