Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone running one? I might buy one and need some quick feed back.

I know buy a Warn....If you want to throw in some cash I'll rush out and buy a Warn.

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
If you dont have the money for the winch you want, why not just wheel with folks that have winches for now and save your money?

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
If you dont have the money for the winch you want, why not just wheel with folks that have winches for now and save your money?
x2

Or buy a used Warn- I have 5 Warn winches right now, and have never bought one new. They all work except the XD9000i that I broke the motor off in some 4" thick ice @ The Cliffs

·
6'-5" 209LB 16YR LEFTWING
15,745 Posts
x2

Or buy a used Warn- I have 5 Warn winches right now, and have never bought one new. They all work except the XD9000i that I broke the motor off in some 4" thick ice @ The Cliffs
Do you want to get rid of one?:naughty:

I'm thinkin' I could haul a certain rig down to you from Allegan, in partial payment. (before someone start's stealin' parts off it)

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Warn is over rated...

If we used the same logic of not buying cheaper brands we would all be driving stock jeeps until we could afford the $40K tag for building what we really want in axles, tires, cage, accessories etc.

With that in mind I have had 2 milemarkers and never had an issue with either of them.

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
Do you want to get rid of one?:naughty:

I'm thinkin' I could haul a certain rig down to you from Allegan, in partial payment. (before someone start's stealin' parts off it)

Naw, I still have more Jeeps than winches, and good high speed winches are hard to find.
( :stan3: Milemarker no load line speed)

Besides, there are a few parts I am interested in up there, and it will give me an excuse to load up the enclosed trailer again. :tonka:

·
Premium Member
22,634 Posts
i have a champion, other then line speed slow with no load, i haven't had any problems, for $300 winch it works great for my explorer,

buy 3-4 champions for the cost of an warn..............someday i'll buy a warn but for now i go cheap

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the input. I ran out at lunch time, and bought the 8000lb Champion at Costco.

I had a Harbor Freight/Chicago Electric/Mile Marker on my last Jeep that broke on the third pull, so I figured I'll give the champion a shot. Besides for $317.99 out the door with a year warranty, it should be worth a shot.

Harbor Freight only had a 30 warranty unless you purchased the extended warranty.

·
Premium Member
1,983 Posts
It's a toss up. My HF 9500# was on clearance $220 w/3 year warranty, Champion 10000# on my wife's was $256 with a bunch of free goodies. They both work well (I don't use them very often), heat up if you don't let them rest every so often, and are slower than crap. And cheap enough that Santa can still afford to get me a synth rope for Christmas. I hope.

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
define broke. winches are nothing more than simple electric motors that are very easily rebuilt.

·
81 inches of fun
14,286 Posts
define broke. winches are nothing more than simple electric motors that are very easily rebuilt.
There is more then that to a winch, there are bearings, and gears in them as well. Some more complicated then others. My TX2 is a 2 speed winch. 12k lb on low, and 8k lb on high.... has a few more parts to it.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
The bolt that holds the cable to the spool sheared off. It would have been easy to fix, but I returned it, than sold the new replacment one on here shortly after. A new winch should work for more than 3 pulls, I don't care how cheap it is new.

My other gripe was the chrome "bridge section" over the spool would chafe and shred the cable when it bunched up.

Over all I think I think the Champion is better engineered than the hf/ce/mm. (although they have refreshed there line up) But....only time will tell which is better.

·
Premium Member
22,634 Posts
i pulled the cable off the drum after i got my champion................need to make sure to stop unspooling when you reach the red paint

and at the spring fling the cable rewound itself heavy on the pass side and pulled the cable off the drum then to and got stuck on itself. Was a real PITA to unspool and fix

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
There is more then that to a winch, there are bearings, and gears in them as well. Some more complicated then others. My TX2 is a 2 speed winch. 12k lb on low, and 8k lb on high.... has a few more parts to it.
They are still fairly easy and cheap to rebuild compared to buying a new winch.

·
DrivewayJeeper
10,957 Posts
The bolt that holds the cable to the spool sheared off. It would have been easy to fix, but I returned it, than sold the new replacment one on here shortly after. A new winch should work for more than 3 pulls, I don't care how cheap it is new.

My other gripe was the chrome "bridge section" over the spool would chafe and shred the cable when it bunched up.

Over all I think I think the Champion is better engineered than the hf/ce/mm. (although they have refreshed there line up) But....only time will tell which is better.
My Warn quit working after three or four uses. Soleniods. I also broke the both that holds the cable on the drum, yes easy fix.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts