Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9,151 Posts
That looks like great little saw. Should cut through pretty much anything you throw at it.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
I decided I wanted an Echo 2511T but I can't get anyone locally to answers their phone but Weingartz and they have to order it. I'll probably just order online so I don't have to pay sales tax.

I'd stop in to the places but having to go in with a bunch of mouth breathers not during COVID time is low on my list of things to do and trying to speak with a sales associate with masks on with mouth breathers wheezing and sneezing on me is even lower on my list of things to do.
Mis has that saw and loves it, I always keep a sharp chain on it and that little thing rips

·
Project Antitube
942 Posts
Good to know. I was a little worried about ergonomics. I've had a bunch of top handle saws now and I'm tired of the expensive ones sucking. I've had the 192 and 193 and 201 from Stihl. They all sucked. The T435 from Husqvarna... it super sucked. I have been using Hitachi/Shindaiwa cheapies but I keep wearing them out. They're kind of heavy but they're super quiet and have good anti-vibration. But they're homeowner-caliber saws and I wear them out after a few hundred hours. No need for ear protection with them which is a huge plus... and they don't load up when idling. Hope the tiny 2511T from Echo is the same. I know they have quite the following.

·
Registered
9,151 Posts
Good to know. I was a little worried about ergonomics. I've had a bunch of top handle saws now and I'm tired of the expensive ones sucking. I've had the 192 and 193 and 201 from Stihl. They all sucked. The T435 from Husqvarna... it super sucked. I have been using Hitachi/Shindaiwa cheapies but I keep wearing them out. They're kind of heavy but they're super quiet and have good anti-vibration. But they're homeowner-caliber saws and I wear them out after a few hundred hours. No need for ear protection with them which is a huge plus... and they don't load up when idling. Hope the tiny 2511T from Echo is the same. I know they have quite the following.
I did see a guy on youtube talking about muffler modification. Looks like he drilled a hole in it. Not sure exactly what that would do except make it louder and less restrictive able to breath easier?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I decided I wanted an Echo 2511T but I can't get anyone locally to answers their phone but Weingartz and they have to order it. I'll probably just order online so I don't have to pay sales tax.

I'd stop in to the places but having to go in with a bunch of mouth breathers not during COVID time is low on my list of things to do and trying to speak with a sales associate with masks on with mouth breathers wheezing and sneezing on me is even lower on my list of things to do.
really? most places I buy from I still get charged a sales tax..?

·
Yooper In Training
7,168 Posts
I've got a 16" Stihl 023 and a 20" Stihl 036. Both are around 25 years old, were purchased used, and have been absolutely fantastic saws. The 036 was my only one for years, I go through about 10 face cords a year for heat, plus various use for bonfires, yard maintenance, etc. The 036 is one of the smaller Pro series saws, so it's a stout machine. Just gets heavy cutting all day and starts to seem ridiculous to limb with. There are much larger, more powerful saws out there, but honestly anything that this couldn't eat through was so big and heavy I had zero interest in dealing with anyway. It sliced up some 30"+ oak that fell on the edge of my property without much fuss, did the same on some huge cherry I got from a friend's neighbor until the chain got wiped out by some climbing spikes hidden in the trunk. I picked up the 023 from another member on here probably 4 years ago now for $100 and a case of beer. It's a great saw for anything under 8-10" diameter. More than a few cuts in anything larger and the 036 eats it up. I would have loved to have an 026, same basic size and weight but more power, but the price was right on the 023 and it's been great. I know there are other great brands out there, but based on my Stihl experience I'll likely never buy anything else.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
My bad, forgot to throw an update;

As of now....no chainsaw shopping!

It's amazing what a tune up will do, with a fresh clean air filter too. Whoda thunk? New chain, filter, plug, it runs very well now. Only issue I had is not running related; grenaded the bar that was on it. The idler sprocket siezed up; I didn't notice it until it completely blew apart and wedged the chain in the bar. Bar is shot so I bought a new Oregon one. Came with a chain too. Was actually a big PIA to find the right bar and kinda bummed as the stock bar was nice all black and looked unique.

Not sure why it decided to go; I keep it greased with the little grease gun, and it gets plenty of oil as the chain always has a good coating on it. Either way; even before the sprocket went WiFi, I feel that the saw cut better than when it was new.

I switched to premixed 40 to 1 and 50 to 1 a couple years ago. I have never been let down with getting a 2 stroke machine to start or run since. Never worry about it gumming up during the winter; and the saw starts within a couple pulls no matter how long its been sitting. I will probably never go back to mixing myself. I don't cut enough to justify the cost savings of mixing my own fuel.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I did see a guy on youtube talking about muffler modification. Looks like he drilled a hole in it. Not sure exactly what that would do except make it louder and less restrictive able to breath easier?
Biggest thing I think is taking out the spark arrester screen as that can clog up easily; though if you're running your saw a lot at once I think it'd be hot enough to self clean. Some saws I see can has a rather restictive muffler diverter; like on my 490, all I did was bend the little tabs open more, not really sure if it helps, but it seemed really restricted as it was.

·
Registered
9,151 Posts
Biggest thing I think is taking out the spark arrester screen as that can clog up easily; though if you're running your saw a lot at once I think it'd be hot enough to self clean. Some saws I see can has a rather restictive muffler diverter; like on my 490, all I did was bend the little tabs open more, not really sure if it helps, but it seemed really restricted as it was.
Next time I get my saw out to cut I will have a look at the muffler and see if I can tweek it. A buddie of mine had an exact saw(husky farm tough) and rebuilt it with an over sized piston and jetted the carb and you could hear the difference when he fired his up. Loader with a deeper sound and it cut probably three times faster than mine. His saw went through wood like butter.

·
Project Antitube
942 Posts
Depends on where you order from if you have to pay sales tax. If they do $100k+ with your state they're supposed to collect sales tax. A lot of shopping cart companies collect it on behalf of the seller but don't necessarily pay it. So I just look for out of state sellers that don't use shopping cart companies that suck.

I usually end up tearing apart the muffler on most of my saws to solve one problem or another. But I like quiet saws, especially the top handle ones because I use them so much. It's way nicer to go all day without hearing protection than with.

I like my Stihl MS250. Cheap ($300 new) and reasonably light with no bullshit. If I hurt it... I have another one just like it. I've had a bunch of other saws but they get little use compared to my top handle saws. My favorite was my 346XP that I sold for more than I paid for it. If I cut trees for a living I'd probably have something different, but I cut for firewood and most of my crap is already on the ground. So I use the MS250 for the big stuff (4-6" or larger) and a top handle for everything else. The amount of time I spend cutting the large stuff is tiny. I keep a 1" paint brush in my tool bin (with spare chains, bar oil, 1 gallon of premix, bar adjuster tools, and tool for changing carburetor settings) and just clean off the air filter at the same time I clean around the caps before refilling/oiling. I cut 8-20 face cords of wood each year. The nice thing about the top handle saws is I just cut-and-carry-and-cut-into-the-trailer. No excess handling of firewood and I only have to pick it up and move it once.

So that's why I want a Echo 2511T.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Another update....got the new guide bar on; came with another new chain. How I felt with the new chain and after a tune-up; I feel that again with a new bar on. I don't think this saw ever cut that well. Was cutting through 12" seasoned maple without a hickup; which normally it would cut it but it would bog down a bit. Not the case at all anymore.

I have an old school little top handle Homelite that I want to get fixed up now that I think the echo is back up to 100%. The little homelite is a great saw, as stated above being a top handle; super light to use and have on hand.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts