Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to be in the market for another saw. Right now I have a stihl, something or other, smaller 16" bar, which is a great little saw (just not for bigger logs), absolutely love it. For bigger stuff I use and Echo CS-490. Bought it at the dealer new, and to be honest....ive never been that impressed with it. It cuts fine and is reliable (once I stopped flooding it), just never gave me the "man, I love this saw" feeling. I want to say I thought it when I first got it, but I was mostly just thinking it cause It was new. Biggest issue seems to have started with the chain, its a county line from TSC and that SOB will not stay sharp, it dulls itself after cutting one maple log. I use an electric sharpener with gagues to make sure the angles are right...all that. Is it the chain, replace with an oregon or echo brand? Still falls back to the power issue, it seems to bog down a lot and often, even on a just sharpened chain.

Im keeping it though, just want to get a saw I can run and have that "now thats a saw!" Feeling...so what say you, GL4x4. Not set on brand.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,371 Posts
I have 3 Stihl's but sitting in my chair I can't remember the models. One is a pruning saw that I bought to carry in the Jeep, one is a mid level with the easy start and one is a bigun with the compression release for ease of starting. They all work great. The bigun is a beast.

·
Low Range Drifter
8,336 Posts
I think project farm on you tube compared chains. I've used his recommendations a few times with good results.

I have a stihl farm boss, I dont recall the number but it's the common size. I remember being on a GLFWDA maintenance day and 3 of us pulling out the exact same saw.

Anyway, someone told me to get the yellow still chain as they are hogs compared to the green safety chain. There is a noticeable difference in the two, so I would try a new chain before investing in a new saw.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
575 Posts
If you want a man saw you have to buy a commercial saw, my neighbors own a logging business and they only buy commercial saws obviously, they run stihls and husqvarna . They love the husqvarna, it’s cheaper and holds up better. But a commercial saw runs about 800 and goes up. Probably overkill for you though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
9,151 Posts
I have the Husky with a 22 inch bar. I think it's the "Farm Tough" model. Bought it probably 20 years ago. It fires up on the third or fourth pull every time. Cuts great with the chain sharp. I have replaced the plug once only because it was missing a little. It would stall and I'd pull the cord and it would fire up. It would miss and stumble and stall. I thought that was weird. So I went to pull the plug wire off to check it and the plug porcelain was cracked right off. Put a new plug in and it fired right up.
I use the saw maybe five or six times a year. So not a lot of use as compared to cutting a few cord of wood. But I have never had any problems with it.
I had a larger saw out west and wood cut up to ten cord a year and it never failed me.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As I was typing that, i thought about just going with a brand new chain. I swear I watched that Project Farm video but for the life of me I can't remember. I watch just about every video that guy puts up. Also, cant remember the last time I checked the depth gauges on the chain too, i have before but definitely not recently.

The stihl I have is an MS-170. Which im pretty sure I cracked something on the handle, it "pops" on the bottom if I put a lot of lever pressure on it when cutting. Anyway, love that saw, always starts and cuts great, just bogs down with big stuff.

A new chain would definitely be cheaper than a whole saw. Like I said, I like the echo 490 just fine, it's just not something I'd brag about. A commercial would definitely be unnecessary for my needs lol

I do have a tune up kit for it, i always check and lube everything but still, im sure its due for a tune up. Probably smarter to start with a quality chain and a tune up.

·
Project Antitube
942 Posts
Figure out what pitch/gauge/length you need and buy some Oregon LPX loops. They're usually cheapest on fleabay. I do 80% of my cutting with a top handle with a 14" bar, then a MS250 with the 18" bar for 19% of my cutting, and then an older saw designed to maim you for the other 1%. You do need to pay attention when cutting with the tip.

2HP and a 14" bar with you using about 9" of it is about all a LPX chain will let you run against it. Not enough ponies. Depending on what bar you have on the CS490, it's probably at its limit. It is kind of a gutless saw.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts

I run the Farm Boss 24" bar LOVE IT!!! thing rips !! Full choke 2 or 3 pulls till it pops, then half choke one pull and you are off to the races.

Miss has a ECO 12" bar Love it also great for one hand work and trail cleanup.

RBB

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I remember now that I did watch that video from PF. As always, great video from him.

I'll swap chains, and thinking about it check my bar as well. Do the tune up and give it a good cleaning. I did watch some videos about doing some muffler modding on the CS490; though I'd rather not start messing with it. If it's just a simple like taking the spark arrestor off or something that' fine; but I don't like the idea of hacking up the muffler and re-turning the carb to match.

We'll see how it works with a good chain, new plug and filter, and everything greased/oiled up.

Reactions: greygoose

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
5,808 Posts
I have a Stihl something I bought last year. IT CHEWS!!!! I was going to go with a pro grade saw but was told they are computer controlled. They do not like to sit for long times without runing. If there is an issue, you have to take it in and have the code read and fixed $$$$.

Nothing will cut if the chain is dull. Get a good file sharpening jig. I touch the chain up at every fill up if cutting hard woods or every other for small brush.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I run a Stihl 460 with either a 20" or 25" bar. Overkill for most but it will handle pretty much anything that I come across. Run it all day and you will feel it. But it sure does cut.

·
Fucking Zen as Shit
16,148 Posts
I have 3 stihl's all work great.

Last summer when we had a tornado skate by us, it dropped a huge tree into my neighbors driveway.

A bunch of help arrived to cut it up. At the end of it, out of like 7 saws there, mine were the only one's that ran without issues, and were still running at the end.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have 3 stihl's all work great.

Last summer when we had a tornado skate by us, it dropped a huge tree into my neighbors driveway.

A bunch of help arrived to cut it up. At the end of it, out of like 7 saws there, mine were the only one's that ran without issues, and were still running at the end.
I do like Stihl brand, nothing against them or really any other. I didn't buy husk cause the size was significantly heavier than a comparable other brand. I think I just went with the Echo cause it was shiny, new, and I had money burning a hole in my pocket.

Like I said, it hasn't let me down, running wise; just never had that "wow" factor. Still going to try a tune up, quality chain, and a good lube; then i'll see where i'm at. I'd rather not get a whole new saw, but I also don't want to constantly reach the limits of the saw i'm using.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Took the echo apart and cleaned everything. Cleaned out all the caked in oil/sawdust. Noticed that the guide gear at the tip of the bar was pretty stiff, it wasn't stuck, just not "loose". Cleaned it out with brake clean, and oiled it up with wd, got it spinning freely. Then greased it. Bar looked good over all, and the plug looked like it was burning right. Noce gray color, didnt see any fouling or burning on it. Air filter....well, lets just say it was due.

Put the new oregon chain on, and adjusted the tension to just about perfect. Didn't realize how worn down the other than teeth were. Kept it for a spare. I'll be out to camp this weekend to give it a good use. Then we'll see if im still in the market for another saw.

Attachments

·
Project Antitube
942 Posts
I just carry a quality 1" paint brush to brush off the air filter. I carry a second one to brush the shit from around the oil and gas fill caps. I don't think I've ever replaced an air filter.

I finally destroyed my favorite top handle saw. I don't know how many hours were on it, but I wore out six Oregon doubleguard bars. I'd probably buy parts but at this point it's just plain tired. I might buy parts anyway. But I think I'm going to buy an Echo 2511T.

·
Gustafson
9,822 Posts
Took the echo apart and cleaned everything. Cleaned out all the caked in oil/sawdust. Noticed that the guide gear at the tip of the bar was pretty stiff, it wasn't stuck, just not "loose". Cleaned it out with brake clean, and oiled it up with wd, got it spinning freely. Then greased it. Bar looked good over all, and the plug looked like it was burning right. Noce gray color, didnt see any fouling or burning on it. Air filter....well, lets just say it was due.

Put the new oregon chain on, and adjusted the tension to just about perfect. Didn't realize how worn down the other than teeth were. Kept it for a spare. I'll be out to camp this weekend to give it a good use. Then we'll see if im still in the market for another saw.
Interested to hear how it cuts after the tune up. Hopefully that's all it needed and you can save a few $$$.

·
Low Range Drifter
8,336 Posts
Seeing the pic of your air filter makes me think I should grab a tune-up kit for my saw this spring. I try to clean it up before it goes back in the case every time, but my air filter was looking like the pic and is likely due.

Last year I switched to buying pre-mix since I'm more of a maintenance user than power user, and I suck at remembering how old my 2-stroke mix was. It seemed to run happier.

·
Registered
9,151 Posts
With a good cleaning and fresh air filter it should be able to breath a little better. I always clean the oiler holes out and grease the tip on the bar as well. When they plug up the bar gets hot and doesn't spin as easy.
Cutting this weekend should be a breeze for you.

·
Project Antitube
942 Posts
I decided I wanted an Echo 2511T but I can't get anyone locally to answers their phone but Weingartz and they have to order it. I'll probably just order online so I don't have to pay sales tax.

I'd stop in to the places but having to go in with a bunch of mouth breathers not during COVID time is low on my list of things to do and trying to speak with a sales associate with masks on with mouth breathers wheezing and sneezing on me is even lower on my list of things to do.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts