Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a couple good posts on here with searching..

Really would like a Stihl, torn a bit between the MS290/310/390 or the MS260 pro.

Just 'homeowner use', but lets say heavy homeowner use. Own several acres, with a lot of it forested, and I have probably twenty 8 to 16" trees to take down and cut up next year, my 8 year old toy homelite was a joke last year when we took down several 24"+ ash trees (cut enough firewood to fill multiple 2.5 ton troop trucks....).

Want something that will last for a while.

Like the bigger power of the 290/310/390 line, looks like the 310 steps to more power and automatic oiler, the 390 more power again, and also the decomp valve.

But the 260pro is several pounds lighter. Would be nice on some of the property, when I'm on a ladder, or on our hill (steep, loose hillside, maybe 50-60 ft drop on the slope, heavily wooded.

We don't use wood for heat, but will burn a fair amount in bonfires outside.

Recommendations? The $400-$500 range that these saws fall into is what I'm looking at.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I've seen a couple good posts on here with searching..

Really would like a Stihl, torn a bit between the MS290/310/390 or the MS260 pro.

Just 'homeowner use', but lets say heavy homeowner use. Own several acres, with a lot of it forested, and I have probably twenty 8 to 16" trees to take down and cut up next year, my 8 year old toy homelite was a joke last year when we took down several 24"+ ash trees (cut enough firewood to fill multiple 2.5 ton troop trucks....).

Want something that will last for a while.

Like the bigger power of the 290/310/390 line, looks like the 310 steps to more power and automatic oiler, the 390 more power again, and also the decomp valve.

But the 260pro is several pounds lighter. Would be nice on some of the property, when I'm on a ladder, or on our hill (steep, loose hillside, maybe 50-60 ft drop on the slope, heavily wooded.

We don't use wood for heat, but will burn a fair amount in bonfires outside.

Recommendations? The $400-$500 range that these saws fall into is what I'm looking at.
I have the MS270, great saw. I bought some non-safety chains and it's unreal how fast it will cut.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
the MS260 pro is a very fine machine. Put a 16" bar on it and have a 20 something for the big stuff and it will be the last saw you will ever buy. Its very light and has tons of power. I've been using an MS025 for a few years now and my next one is gonna be the 26pro for sure.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
And remember, those other bigger saws will wear anyone out over a hard day's worth of cutting. 90% of all your cutting can be done with a 16" or 18" bar so keep that in mind. You don't need a 36" bar to take limbs off the trunk.

·
Home Sweet Homicide
3,685 Posts
What would be the recommend on a $200-$300 budget? I don't plan on a lot of cutting. Just a couple cords a year and some trimming.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have the ms260 non pro. Same saw but it doesn't have the compression release. I like the saw but regret buying it with an 18" bar. I think its a little under powered for an 18" bar i wish I would have kept the stock 16".
My favorit saw that I use 90% of the time is my new top handle Stihl 192t ith a 12" bar! and I cut alot of wood. Thinking about getting a shorter bar for my ms260.

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I think I'll stick with a 16" bar. Its not *that* often that I've got to cut something bigger than 15" or so, and just because its a 16" bar doesn't mean you can't cut something bigger than the bar.

I want something small enough to have in the Jeep, as many of our trips in the UP and Canada, we need saws to get through the trail.

·
Registered
292 Posts
My 192t is my trail saw . I keep it in the back of my Rhino or TJ. Bigger is not always better. I was cutting up a dead Ash tree yesterday that was probably 14" which is a pretty big tree. I noticed how when the dogs where against the trunk I had 4 or 5 inches of bar hanging out the other side, I was thinking to myself how stupid that was, always worrying about running it into the ground. And I try to stay away from anything bigger anyway!

·
Jimmy
83 Posts
260Pro is best saw I've ever run and I've run Husqvarna's and they're good too but i'd definetly go with the 260Pro it will have decent power when you first get it but after about the 3rd tank of gas through it hold on to the little thing

·
Registered
629 Posts
260's are junk in my book......except for a larger climbing saw.

I have always bought 290's and love them. I am an arborist, and run the shit out of my saw. I have one that is 5 years old, just replaced the broken handle, and it runs like a top! I like it better than the two new ones I have.

All Stihl saws have automatic oilers.
The "pro" saws are just basically better vibration dampening, and a de compresion valve.

·
Registered
292 Posts
260's are junk in my book......except for a larger climbing saw.

I have always bought 290's and love them. I am an arborist, and run the shit out of my saw. I have one that is 5 years old, just replaced the broken handle, and it runs like a top! I like it better than the two new ones I have.

The "pro" saws are just basically better vibration dampening, and a de compresion valve.
Yep! I like my 260 but don't think I would buy it again. If I used it more I would trade up. I really like my buddy's 290 with a 3/8 non safty chain! Reallyoutcuts the 260

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Ahh, what it appears to be is the pros, and the 310/390 move to an 'adjustable' oiler... meh, I don't need that. Makes more sense, sounds odd not to have the automatic oiler..

I think the 290 probably will be what I want then. My biggest peeve is not enough power. 2 days cutting those ash trees with that crappy homelite wasn't fun..

·
6'-5" 209LB 16YR LEFTWING
15,745 Posts
I was just given a Husqvarna 240 w/ 18" bar for Christmas. Starts good, runs good, but the 18" bar is a little to much for the motor. This unit would work better with a 16" bar.

·
Chrome Trucker Chicks Rul
3,217 Posts
buy an orange one. They work great for grooving tires.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.