Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had bought a new McCulloch 18" for trail maintenance duties about 2-3 years ago. Ran it for maybe 1 hour total with the original chain. It goes through oil, so I'm assuming the chain is being lubed.

How long are chains expected to last? The original Oregon chain lasted about 1 hour (small logs, easy cuts) and 10 minutes (a tree in my front yard). The backup chain, new, also an Oregon, lasted 15 minutes (same tree in my front yard). Either my tree I have in my yard is made of steel, or I'm doing something wrong. Neighbors chainsaw lasted about an hour of cutting with no problems.

I didn't spend huge money on the chainsaw cuz I don't use one for much of anything. But chains are chains right? Is there a better chain out there? Do I have to sharpen even new chains before use? Do I have to sharpen chains this frequently??!!

I've got about a half cord of wood on my trailer, need to cut some of it up smaller and split it all. But I need my chainsaw to make chips, not wood powder!

·
Mr Ohara
145 Posts
Chains Should Last hours and hours as long as you give them breaks after long cuts and arent trying to go through to much too fast and not turning them, most important kept them out of the dirt

·
Registered
611 Posts
As soon as you dip your tip into something brown and sandy, your thing will be blown. Seriously, a chain should last for quite some time if you are cutting normal wood. I have seen trees along roadsides and fence rows be tough because rocks can get lodged into them and wreak hell on a saw. I have also heard, but not expereinced, boxelder trees really will wear down a saw fast. For Oak, Maple, Pine, Birch, Ash, Elm, or any of our normal wood, it should last you for many hours of cutting.

·
I fix stuff!
13,804 Posts
Don't screw around with pre-packaged chains, they are crap. Go to a good hardware store or chainsaw dealer and buy cut to length chain. The cut to length chain is a much better quility.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know enough not to try cutting dirt, nor anything not wood ;) I also was cutting nothing bigger than 20" diameter and resting between (well, saw doesn't like to idle for more than 20 seconds).

Neighbor "sharpened" one chain for me and the other is missing teeth (original). I'd like to buy another spare chain.....

·
Registered
214 Posts
Don't screw around with pre-packaged chains, they are crap. Go to a good hardware store or chainsaw dealer and buy cut to length chain. The cut to length chain is a much better quility.
X2, I Buy mine from my local hardware wich is also Stihl dealer, he cuts my new chains to length and they last a long time. I tried a chain from TSC and it lasted about an hour and it cut like crap after that.

·
I fix stuff!
13,804 Posts
X2, I Buy mine from my local hardware wich is also Stihl dealer, he cuts my new chains to length and they last a long time. I tried a chain from TSC and it lasted about an hour and it cut like crap after that.
That's why I went to cut chains. I was tired of having to change chains every 1/2 tank of fuel. I used to take two saws and 6 chains with me when I cut wood. Now that I've figured things out, one chain will last two days if I avoid dirt.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Oregon chains are decent chains. Biggest culprit is sand and rocks. Just barley touching the ground will wreak havoc.

And FWIW I have a chain that is 2 years old, and Im an arborist. I run nothing but Stihl full chissel (yellow box) and have excelent luck with it

·
Geocache Addict
1,462 Posts
I buy the chainsaw sharpening bits for my Dremel tool and sharpen chains every time I use them. But when I use the chainsaws I run them all day. 4-8 hours. Might stop for a break in the middle, have lunch, and sharpen them again.

I like sharpening stuff. Knives. I love a SHARP knife. I do lawnmower blades for all the guys I work with...as well as chainsaw blades. One guy brought me 15 chainsaw blades all at once. It is...theraputic?!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I've been cutting word since I could pick up a chain saw and if you hand sharpen a blade it will last years. Figure like a few hours of cutting and then it needs a touch up. What are you sharpening these with? Make sure you have the right size file first of all. Use too small of one and it won't do shit for you except make your saw not cut anything.

·
DODGE POWER!
1,819 Posts
thechain on ours lasted forever before we bought a new one whole tree in my back yard cut down and chopped up couple dozen pallets. and we use used motor oil for the chail oil lol

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
As soon as you dip your tip into something brown and sandy, your thing will be blown. Seriously, a chain should last for quite some time if you are cutting normal wood. I have seen trees along roadsides and fence rows be tough because rocks can get lodged into them and wreak hell on a saw. I have also heard, but not expereinced, boxelder trees really will wear down a saw fast. For Oak, Maple, Pine, Birch, Ash, Elm, or any of our normal wood, it should last you for many hours of cutting.
Yes, I can tell you from experience that box elder trees wear hard on your chain. It still took me one sharp chain on a good saw to cut an entire trunk of a boxelder tree 5+ feet in diameter and about 16' long. It took me 2 hours to cut it up into managable splitting sizes. You get what you pay for. Don't go with cheap saws or cheap chain. I highly recommend a husqvarna pro models with the extra wide bar and chain. You will never regret the money you spend. But, if your chain isn't adjusted properly or your pushing the saw way too hard or it wasn't sharpened well to begin with, you will never get anywhere. There are many chain sharpening kits out there. The kits that run off the battery in your vehicle seem to work very well but so does a good file and a little hand work.

·
Registered
23 Posts
How often should you have to te-tighten your chain? I agree, and have the same problem the chain keeps dropping off after so many uses. I hate chain saws...! No matter how tight I make the hold down, it still drops.

·
I fix stuff!
13,804 Posts
How often should you have to te-tighten your chain? I agree, and have the same problem the chain keeps dropping off after so many uses. I hate chain saws...! No matter how tight I make the hold down, it still drops.
Make sure the chain is getting oiled. Don't over tighten (should be able to pull chain away from bar slightly). Keep chain sharp, a dull chain gets very hot and causes the chain to stretch more. Buy quality chain.

·
Kitten I'm gonna eat you!
3,814 Posts
Had bought a new McCulloch 18" for trail maintenance duties about 2-3 years ago. Ran it for maybe 1 hour total with the original chain. It goes through oil, so I'm assuming the chain is being lubed.

How long are chains expected to last? The original Oregon chain lasted about 1 hour (small logs, easy cuts) and 10 minutes (a tree in my front yard). The backup chain, new, also an Oregon, lasted 15 minutes (same tree in my front yard). Either my tree I have in my yard is made of steel, or I'm doing something wrong. Neighbors chainsaw lasted about an hour of cutting with no problems.

I didn't spend huge money on the chainsaw cuz I don't use one for much of anything. But chains are chains right? Is there a better chain out there? Do I have to sharpen even new chains before use? Do I have to sharpen chains this frequently??!!

I've got about a half cord of wood on my trailer, need to cut some of it up smaller and split it all. But I need my chainsaw to make chips, not wood powder!
My family has been cutting wood since I have been born, we use Oregon chains when we can, they're a better brand. Ideally a chain should last for about 30-1.5hrs depending on chain size and what you are cutting. "cutting" sand just flat out messes up chain saws. 15 minutes cutting sand "by accident" and you might as well just grab the file. Using a Poulan Wild thing chain saw I cut a two whole cherry trees down and into 18 pieces for burning with one chain sharpening . These trees were 12-18 in diameter, I usually cut 10-15 face cord with a small saw each season.

·
Premium Member
10,939 Posts
Not sure about oregon chains, but my new stihl chains last for hours as long as I keep it out of dirt.

I was just up at my folks place cutting up wood for the Boiler.

Brand new Stihl Farm Boss 18" original chain lasted for hours, cut about 5 full cords and then switched the chain to another (Stilh chain for that saw baught at a Stihl dealer). Cut up another 2-3 full cords.

·
I fix stuff!
13,804 Posts
I was just up at my folks place cutting up wood for the Boiler.

Brand new Stihl Farm Boss 18" original chain lasted for hours, cut about 5 full cords and then switched the chain to another (Stilh chain for that saw baught at a Stihl dealer). Cut up another 2-3 full cords.
I hope you're talking about face cords. If you are talking about lumberman's cords I want to hire you to cut some wood at my place.

·
Not as old as Whiterhino
1,160 Posts
But chains are chains right? Is there a better chain out there? Do I have to sharpen even new chains before use? Do I have to sharpen chains this frequently??!!

Nope, just like everything else, chains are not created or designed the same.

http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/types.html

Some have anti-kickback teeth for homeowner use and others do not. See the link and look for green and yellow chains.

I've got the MS270 with an 18" bar for the house and the the MS 192 for the Tracker. The 270 cuts for hours without batting an eye.
I cut this 189 yr old Ash tree without sharpening the chain once. It was well over 100 feet tall. Cut for almost 5 hours straight.

jim-kb8ymf

Attachments

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.