Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, did you guys know by putting on larger tires, it changes the centerline of your straight axle? It also changes the pinion angle. All this with no suspension lift at all. Fawkin warranty bastards. i had to try and explain simple geometry to a pencil pushing retarded adjuster. BTW it wasn't working-LOL

·
hug life
10,197 Posts
hey, did you guys know by putting on larger tires, it changes the centerline of your straight axle? It also changes the pinion angle. All this with no suspension lift at all. Fawkin warranty bastards. i had to try and explain simple geometry to a pencil pushing retarded adjuster. BTW it wasn't working-LOL
:moo:

·
Banned
20,292 Posts
did you have liability insurance??

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you kick him in the teeth and tell him he's an idiot?
in fact, i started talkin bout geometry of the suspension system and he became very upset and put me in touch with his supervisor who then explained to me that getting bigger tires would affect my upper and lower control arms, with which i replied i thought it was strange for a straight axle truck to have control arms. He became quiet and said he would have to send it to the underwriters for a decision. bastids!!!!

i am going into another dealer to discuss the issue and possibly purchase a different warranty directly from Chrysler.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
explained to me that getting bigger tires would affect my upper and lower control arms, with which i replied i thought it was strange for a straight axle truck to have control arms. .

Really?

·
$9.00 vanilla malt
2,773 Posts
I like this thread.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
I hope you changed your speedo gear because bigger tires will make the speedo off and they can void any and all warranty because of an incorrect odometer.

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
in fact, i started talkin bout geometry of the suspension system and he became very upset and put me in touch with his supervisor who then explained to me that getting bigger tires would affect my upper and lower control arms, with which i replied i thought it was strange for a straight axle truck to have control arms. He became quiet and said he would have to send it to the underwriters for a decision. bastids!!!!
That's probably because he realized he didn't want to deal with a moron.

TJ's as Jeepfreak mentioned, XJ's, ZJ's, 2nd-gen Dodge Rams, etc...

Edit: Now that I think about it, what Chrysler vehicle young enough to still be under warranty with straight axles wouldn't have any control arms? I'm thinking none? If they don't have arms, they would be independent and not have straight axles anyway. Only one I can think of is the J8, which is an export vehicle (aside from the ones sold via AEV).

·
Registered
545 Posts
with which i replied i thought it was strange for a straight axle truck to have control arms. He became quiet and said he would have to send it to the underwriters for a decision. bastids!!!!
:rolleyes:

I like this thread.
X2

At least now i know i am more smarter that somebody

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
The Jeep is not a truck, therefore the Dodge Ram is the only one left straight axle. Either way it still comes with control arms. If you're talking about the Jeep in your avatar, you should have said to the guy, "That's interesting because I never knew a leaf-sprung front end had control arms."
Personally I would've asked the guy if changing my muffler bearings would also attribute to changing the pinion angle. I'd also say the reason why the centerline is off is because I had to adjust my flux capacitor since the factory screwed up and didn't put it in the right place for performance reasons.

·
5,820 Posts
I hope you changed your speedo gear because bigger tires will make the speedo off and they can void any and all warranty because of an incorrect odometer.
I had a service writer try to tell me that they wouldnt service my vehicle because I had H2 tires on a silverado and didnt have my speedometer recalibrated. I told him that the drivetrain isnt spinning any more than it would from the factory with the small tires and asked what the problem with that was. He never replied and I never heard another thing about it.

Tire size actually does effect suspension geometry.
yep, more than most people would think... Unless it was a significantly larger tire or caused the problem I see no reason why the issue would be challenged unless the guy with the vehicle was a pain in the ass to begin with. :confused: :sonicjay:

·
Old School
33,042 Posts
Here's a good one, a neighbor had a warraty dispute with Chrysler because he swapped the 16" wheels on his base 2.7 Magnum for the 20" wheels from the R/T.

The warranty issue?

Overheating.

Dealer claimed that the larger wheels were making the 2.7 'work too hard'.

I gave him shyt for wanting ghetto dubs.

He ended up trading the car in on a Challenger.

V6.

With 20" dealer installed wheels.

From the same dealer that gave him shyt over the dubs on the Magnum.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts