Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
N8KVB
4,390 Posts
On the trail a CB and a 2M (vhf) amateur radio. The 2M is superior to the CB in every way, but not everyone is licensed to use one.

Almost everyone in a organized trail ride has a CB radio

·
Premium Member
1,420 Posts
I run a CB on the trail and on the road. Most of my communication is done over a short distance so a CB is more than ample for me. on the road I use it for traffic or talking to a convoy. If you were looking to do some sort of solo expedition stuff having something that can reach further would be a good idea.

·
N8KVB
4,390 Posts
Since the topic is being brought up, what vhf frequencies are people monitoring/using?
That's highly dependent on where you are in the world. I always made sure I had any local repeaters in my radio before heading out. It's been awhile since I've been on the trail but I remember we used the 147.47 for group simplex conversations. Talking through a repeater for a trail ride constantly might upset the local Hams, but it's always wise to have a bit more reach through a repeater if the need should arise.

I cut/pasted the below from an old GLFWDA post

Common Trail Frequency
CB - Ch. 4
2M - 147.47 No PL

Repeaters
Drummond Island, DeTour
146.64 No PL (Fringe)

Mounds
147.38 88.5 PL

Ogemaw County
145.41 91.5 PL
146.94 103.5 PL

Rocks and Valleys
147.2 No PL

St. Helen
145.45 No PL

Silver Lake
145.31 PL 94.8 or 145.33 PL 94.8 (Linked System)

Consult the following sites for additional repeater information:

West Side Linked Repeater System
Michigan Area Repeater Council
and the K5EHX Repeater Search Engine

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so for someone looking for basic trail comunication, not looking to go miles and miles, a CB would be just fine? the people I wheel with most often have no coms at all, so im looking into what everyone should get. Most of my friends wont put in the work for a HAM license, but would pay the money for a GMRS.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,106 Posts
Get a decent CB. Lots of people bitch about them but for communication within a half mile, they work fine. I hate hand helds because they fall on the floor, are hard to find when you need them the most and the batteries go dead.

·
Mr. Special Snowflake.
13,005 Posts
I need to get my Ham license. Anyone holding classes anytime soon?
My club (Motor City Radio Club) does them, but they're in Wyandotte.

·
N8KVB
4,390 Posts
Get a decent ANTENNA. Lots of people bitch about them but for communication within a half mile, they work fine. I hate hand helds because they fall on the floor, are hard to find when you need them the most and the batteries go dead.

Fixed it. outside of handheld CBs, they are all almost equal. But even with the handheld CBs they are all at the mercy of their antenna!

My club (Motor City Radio Club) does them, but they're in Wyandotte.
Really, I've been meaning to check out one of their meetings, just never took the time.

·
Mr. Special Snowflake.
13,005 Posts
Fixed it. outside of handheld CBs, they are all almost equal. But even with the handheld CBs they are all at the mercy of their antenna!
Yes. The most common problems are with the antenna and it's connections.
Really, I've been meaning to check out one of their meetings, just never took the time.
Come on down,

Second Friday of every month (except February and August)
7PM

Copeland Center
2306 4th. St,
Wyandotte, MI 48192

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So ended up getting my tech licence. It wasn't too difficult to get. Did some research online and took the practice test over and over. Studied for a couple day and passed no problem. Going to start with a simple handheld

1 - 16 of 16 Posts