Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
CRANES ARE COOL
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to buy a CB, what are you guys/gals running, figured you may know which are rugged enough for the mud the blood and the beer:beer: and where to pick one up. THANKS Also where is favorite mounting place in TJ

·
Tap Tap Splat
15,560 Posts
I like the Uniden 68/78 Elites. Still good radios.... Great radios actually.
Stay away from most of the cobras, especially the "Sound tracker" models.
Invest in a good antenna, thats way more important than the radio.
Do a search, ive discussed this with many other members here.
feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any other questions though.

I buy my Unidens as re-furbs from Uniden. they are better than new. www.uniden.com

·
Registered
272 Posts
My Cobra 75 WX ST just arrived this afternoon. It's the only decent one I could find that was self contained and wouldn't clog the dash. I figure between that and a small (two foot) antenna it'll be fine.

·
I only wheel a boat.
17,272 Posts
uniden cb and K40 antenna

·
"The Situation"
14,415 Posts
thats a fucking RIP OFF. You can get a NEW Uniden PC68XL and have it tuned up for less than that.

but I agree, the wilson 1000 is a very nice antenna
i was saying that CB i didnt even look at the price :tonka:
i got mine brand new for 40 off someone on here sometimes i see them on ebay for the same

·
Tap Tap Splat
15,560 Posts
My Cobra 75 WX ST just arrived this afternoon. It's the only decent one I could find that was self contained and wouldn't clog the dash. I figure between that and a small (two foot) antenna it'll be fine.
Honestly, i dont think you will be happy with the 2' ant. id personally go 4' min, or at least 3'. But I guess Im biased as I run a 102" whip on my xj.

·
Tap Tap Splat
15,560 Posts
Before I say too much more in this thread, i better say this:
if you are just using the CB for trailriding, pretty much anything will throw a signal a couple miles. HOWEVER, if you want to get more into the hobby, and start shooting skip, you may want to invest in a nicer radio that has a little cleaner audio.

·
Geocache Addict
1,462 Posts
I bought mine from Radio Shack and it has been pretty rugged. Been in the Jeep for 2 years now. Also have a radio shack antenna. Decently priced and plenty functional for the trail and the street. And I have been happy with it. Before that I had a Midland that lasted a few years before I had serious problems with it and it finally died. On both CBs I made sure to get weatherband units. I've used the NOAH weatherbands while camping to check for rain. And install a PA for telling off those idiot drivers with cell phones built into the sides of the skulls.

·
"The Situation"
14,415 Posts
if you are just using the CB for trailriding, pretty much anything will throw a signal a couple miles. HOWEVER, if you want to get more into the hobby, and start shooting skip, you may want to invest in a nicer radio that has a little cleaner audio.
x2 my trail rig has some shitty cheapo job with a cheap mini whip antenna the tow rig has the nice cobra and wilson

·
Registered
272 Posts
Honestly, i dont think you will be happy with the 2' ant. id personally go 4' min, or at least 3'. But I guess Im biased as I run a 102" whip on my xj.
Nothing larger than a 2'' will clear my garage given my mounting location and the vehicle being lifted.

My plans are just to use it to communicate with others in our trailing pack who will either have mobiles or hand helds.

I was into 11 meter many years ago. If I were to get back into it I'd either pull the President P400 out of the closet or get my Ranger 2950 back and go from there.

I just can't see any serious DX work from the Wrangler given how loud it is with the big tires (and the top usually being down) plus being a stick transmission.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts

·
Pokerob is my B*tch!
11,515 Posts
If you don't use it besides on trail rides like mentioned above save the money and buy a super cheap . . . hand held even.

Good advice FlatFender!

·
Tap Tap Splat
15,560 Posts
If you don't use it besides on trail rides like mentioned above save the money and buy a super cheap . . . hand held even.

Good advice FlatFender!
thanks...

a handheld usually wont transmit too far outside the metal cage of the vehicle you are in. Id at least reccomend one with an external ant.

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
For trail riding- as cheap as possible while still staying with a brand name with a real mic.

I usually go for garage sale Cobras. (My favotie was the $5 "C. W. McCall Convoy Buddy" 23 channel I bought brand new in the box) :tonka:

CBs are like sunglasses for me: the more I spend on one, the sooner it will get broken

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
I run a Cobra 29 LTD with the mag mount Wilson 1000 on my tow rig. I have used the same setup off-road when I wheeled the ZJ. It's peaked and tweaked and gets out very well. You can go with a cheap POS to talk to the people you are trail riding with, but having the power to reach out 7-10 miles is nice when you are stuck on a trail or have an emergency somewhere. It came in handy in Grayling once when we had a major break and needed to talk to another group a few miles away. I had the only set-up that could reach them and hear them. For the tow rig, it's great. I am hitting about 27-30 watts or so after it was tuned.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts