Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Motrcytman's spouse
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, we found a stray little kitten (no pics sorry...) last night behind our house, and it is the most starved animal I have ever seen.

Today on the front page of the Detroit News:

In part:

Shelters across Metro Detroit are overflowing with cats, and they're having difficulty trying to find more people like Hubley to give the felines a permanent home.

The Oakland County center, which typically houses its capacity of about 200 cats in any given month, is more than 100 cats over capacity and the numbers are increasing daily. It's a statistic that's reflected at shelters across southeastern Michigan, including the Michigan Humane Society's branches in Rochester, Westland and Detroit. Many shelters are offering incentives to potential cat owners, including lowering or waiving adoption fees for older cats and buy-one-get-one-free deals on kittens.

"More and more people are reporting stray cats and dropping off litters," said Kara Beyerlein, spokeswoman for the Oakland Pet Adoption Center. "It's not fair to keep them all here in such crowded quarters so we're willing to make any deal possible to get them adopted."
The Oakland County Pet Adoption Center will host its next monthly spay and neuter clinic on Aug. 12. Residents must make an appointment. For information call (248) 391-0286, Ext. 228.

The Michigan Humane Society's Cat Independence Days adoption program includes sterilization surgery, a 10-day health plan and more. For information, call (866) 648-6263.
Related Articles and Links

Brandy Baker / The Detroit News

Mild winter, more births

One of my daughters is taking the kitten we found to the vet today, and it is healthy, she'll plans to keep it.

But I bet there are more since it is a kitten..... :(

·
Speed Limit -186,000 fps
1,540 Posts
If there are so many cats around.... Then why am I still finding Rats out in my garage?

The traps and Decon don't seem to be helping!

·
Motrcytman's spouse
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If there are so many cats around.... Then why am I still finding Rats out in my garage?

The traps and Decon don't seem to be helping!

I don't think cats will eat rats...rats can be too big. I think they mostly kill mice. But I'm no expert on these things....

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I stopped in at the huname society in Rochester and the animial control in Auburh Hills and both places had a lot of kittens. I bet the animial control in Ah had 100 kittens. Too bad I am looking for a puppy.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
My girlfriend and I just aquired an 8 week old kitten saturday. Her moms friend had somebody drop it off at her house saying it was found in the middle of Michigan Ave. and almost got hit by a car.

We have it now. Took it to the vet that day and it is in good health except that it had a few fleas and it has worms. They gave it dewormer and a pill that will kill the fleas in 30 minutes. We just have to watch to see if there were eggs and if they hatch.

Cool thing is that he is already litter trained. Major plus.

This is kitten season.

·
Kitten I'm gonna eat you!
3,794 Posts
well at least oakland county is better than peta. If they were like peta they would have already started killing them by now.

·
Motrcytman's spouse
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update: the kitten was severly injured, probably hit by a car or a horrible fall and had to be put-down. :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts