Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Eye candy
10,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here ever built a car from scratch? If so what size and roughly what was the cost? My girlfriends dad wants me to build him a car in the yard. I just need to know what kind of costs are associated. Id like a car.

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
We bulit a model A from scratch a few years ago. Cost us 1 million dollars and we borrowed a engine from nasa.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,726 Posts
I think there is one for sale on ebay that is going for really cheap

·
Eye candy
10,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You should probably get a degree in engineering first though.
I think I have one of those? What does it look like, mine just might be dusty.

·
Hang all the thieves
1,758 Posts
I think I have one of those? What does it look like, mine just might be dusty.
I'm not sure. I've heard there's a lot of math involved though. I might qualify for one, I slept through several math classes in high school.

·
the ocean called
10,281 Posts
Nice try, scotty. AJ getting an engineering degree is more believable than you getting a girlfriend.

As for your question, I recommend getting an estimate on a pre-assembled car. Probably your best bet. Maybe talk to a salesman at a Chrysler dealership?

·
Eye candy
10,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice try, scotty. AJ getting an engineering degree is more believable than you getting a girlfriend.

As for your question, I recommend getting an estimate on a pre-assembled car. Probably your best bet. Maybe talk to a salesman at a Chrysler dealership?
Did you see their IQS scores, I think not. I bet people at KIA know what they are doing.

·
Desert Rat
7,115 Posts
Cue Johnny Cash video, "One Piece At A Time"

·
Semper Fidelis
4,541 Posts
I find it quite hilarious that all of Scotty's threads go down hill so fast.

I built a car in 2008. It would be more expedient to purchase a kit from one of the big box stores. Going from scratch will result in a shitty car unless you are an active general car builder. Being smart enough to repair anything in the car, and very knowledgeable of car construction doesn't make you a good car builder.

And yes, Kickstand has friends.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts