Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have put a mc2100 carb on my 87 258 6 cyl jeep ( Automatic). It has a manual choke, stock intake, stock exhaust. Running a 9" K&N air filter.

I have been experiencing a condition where I'll be driving and have the engine stall, pull over to the shoulder, open the hood and have smoke ( vapor) comming off the exhaust manifold. Pull the air cleaner and have fuel gushing out of the carb, pouring down the carb throat, spilling on the exhaust manifold:(

Before I jump in and start rebuilding stuff I'd like some opinions from the crew here. The jeep uses a stock fuel pump and has a return fuel line to the tank. A few things I'm thinking...

1. Tank isn't venting and the return line wont alow the extra fuel to flow back into the tank, causing excess fuel to flow into the carb?

2. Bad float, allowing fuel to pour into the carb ( float is new last year)?

3. Excess heat from intake manifold casuing fuel to boil in float bowl causing pressure and venting into the carb?

4. :confused:

Give me some valuable feedback, I'd like to get this fixed before camp jeep next week ( or it burns up, which ever comes first):woot:

·
Buy a Fiat! Save the UAW!
14,442 Posts
agreed, check for a stuck needle & seat or a turd holding it open.

secondly if you get the problem stopped then you want to check your oil for fuel. if its smells fuelly on the dip stick change it before it eats up the bottom end.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well Thanks to those that contributed.. A rebuild kit solved the problem. Now it doesen't get any gas (Ha,Ha) the fuel pump is FUBAR...... Off to the parts store for another,.,..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts