Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
lots of spark plug readings.

ummm no!

It's a fourstroke so the plugs are going to be roughly a color of black with a white tip if running right. The basics are just playing with the screws and jets and seeing what happens. Black smoke out the exhaust means it is running rich, popping means it is lean. If you have a weak spot upon acceleration you will have to figure out what is or is not happening. It can be a bitch and putting it on a dyno is the best way to see what is wrong. On the dyno you can plot your RPM, torque, and A/F simultaneously to get a better idea of what is going on.

Make sure you have the timing spot on as it will play a big role in tuning the carb. Rough idling and poor throttle response can be due to the timing also.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
5,873 Posts
you can use a vacuum gauge to help dial it in. Also I sorta cheat and use an air/fuel mixture gauge that goes inplace of the downstream O2 sensor spot.

·
I'll Finsh One, One Day
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It would be nice to have a dyno. Right now im trying to get my stupid oil pressure gauge to stop leaking. Once i get that to stop leaking, im going to get the timing right on. Then try to get the carb just right. Looks like ill just have to go off of eyes and ears on getting it right.

Any more tips.

·
Playing Possum
6,751 Posts
Set the RPM around 850, hook up a vacuum gauge, turn the idle mixture screws for the highest vacuum.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts