Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
sim sim balla bim
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I bought this 86 or 87 xj off the boards back in May or June. Drove about an hour to Monroe to pick it up. When I got there the Jeep was sitting near this older house that had a fire. So anyway got this thing loaded on the trailer and found out that the title was missing or burned in the fire or whatever. So I being the nice guy that I am agree to give him my address and he would go down to sos on Monday and file for a new one and send it to me as soon as he gets it. Well it has been over 3 months now and still no title. So my question is can i just go to sos and file for a new one? or does the owner have to do it.

The last i heard from the guy was probably 2 months ago said he lost the vin number so I wrote it down and sent it to him.

oyeah his name was tweeter or something like that. Seemed like a fairly decent guy but its hard to judge a book by its cover.

·
sim sim balla bim
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
take a receipt to sos and fill out some forms, pay $25 and a title will be sent to you in a week

Hey thanks for the reply:thumb: I will have to head down there tomorrow. I got it for my kid that just got his license and he has bugging the shit out of me when can I drive it dad when can I drive it dad.

·
Premium Member
22,634 Posts
i had to get a form from the SOS, then I trailored my explorer to the cop shop and had to have a cop physically write the vin down then he went back and checked the system for any thing with the vin attached. Came back clean (cost me $25 i think) then the cop signed off on the form. I then took that form back to the SOS and then got a title a few weeks later

·
sim sim balla bim
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i had to get a form from the SOS, then I trailored my explorer to the cop shop and had to have a cop physically write the vin down then he went back and checked the system for any thing with the vin attached. Came back clean (cost me $25 i think) then the cop signed off on the form. I then took that form back to the SOS and then got a title a few weeks later
Well, that sounds like alot of fun but I guess I have no choice. Thanks

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Yeah, a guy at the shop got a car for free from some people. They said they wanted to junk it since it wouldn't move. He went over there to look at it and to take it and found that it was stuck in the frozen ground. He pulled it out and drove it home.

He called the owners to get the title but they wouldn't call him back. He called the cops to come out and inspect it at the shop so he could get a new title and come to find out it had a lien on it and so he had to give it back.

·
Playing Possum
6,751 Posts
I would drive to the guys house and physically drag his ass to the SOS. Tell him you have been patient long enough. You had a gentleman's agreement agreement and he has not held up his end of the bargain. You can now get an immediate title at the SOS office. It costs a few bucks extra, but you walk out of the office with a title. Hell, transfer it to your name right then!

·
Registered
475 Posts
you no longer have to have a cop look at it. i just did it a few months ago you go in and fill out a paper with were u got it and how. then they call u in like 20 mins to 1 hr for you to come back in and file for title. it is very easy.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
then they call u in like 20 mins to 1 hr for you to come back in and file for title. it is very easy.
Nothing about the SOS is easy.

·
Blowd up
6,335 Posts
I have done this a few times, but it has been a couple of years. After I got the forms from the SOS, I called the local police dept. and they came to my house to do the VIN inspection. Beware, at least in my cases, the SOS will hassle you as to why you don't have a title.

·
Premium Member
9,322 Posts
you no longer have to have a cop look at it. i just did it a few months ago you go in and fill out a paper with were u got it and how. then they call u in like 20 mins to 1 hr for you to come back in and file for title. it is very easy.
I just did this a month or so ago also. It is a very easy process as long as it does not come back stolen or with a lein against the Jeep. Than it is a problem. No need to deal with the cops any more. The SOS has all the forms and across to the computor for Vin identifaction.

·
Im going FAST!!!
3,810 Posts
It usually takes the sos time to get a title back. but 3 months is a little exessive it is usually about 3 weeks. If he did send out for it, it will go to his house then he will have to sign off on it and give it to you so you can take it in.

Did you get a bill of sale from the guy?

I would have sos run vin and do everything, keep him out of it if you can he seems like a lazy pos.

·
cold as ice
1,284 Posts
Nothing about the SOS is easy.

I explained to my 15 year old daughter that the SoS will be a living hell and to prepare for the hell spawns of satan. I think she was waited on by Ilsa She Wolf of the SS. She left with a whole new understanding of being an adult.

·
sim sim balla bim
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey, thanks for everyones input. It sounds like I should not have any trouble as long as something doesn't come back from the vin check.:thumb:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts