Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone put a car seat (baby seat) in a wrangler? Considering selling my truck and getting one. I take our 11 month old with me from time to time and I am concerned about his saftey in a wrangler.

5,476 Posts
from the three guys I have wheeled with who bring a kid along it has seemed fine. i think they take a ratchet strap and ratchet the car seat down to the tub behind the rear seat to make sure the seat is held in there really good.

·
Pokerob is my B*tch!
11,515 Posts
My boss does it . . . as for safety I wouldn't know but I think he's a smart guys so . . .

hope that helps some :sonicjay:

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
Nolan has ridden in the Rubicon since he was 2. The general consensus is that trail riding under 1-1.5 is probably not a good idea due to the jarring of the head/spine. But, with a good carseat, installed properly, you should have no safety concerns other than getting too much sun or wind if you have the top/sides off. A good hat with the chin-strap and a pair of sunglasses fixes most of that. Nolan loves it. He's been to the Badlands, Kentucky Off-Road Park(now closed), and the Mounds with no issues at all. We did have JCR install a cage with an additional bar in the back for added rear seat protection in case of a rollover. That was more for highway safety than for off-road. Just be sure to get the carseat that has the strap that goes from the center of the top and has a hook at the bottom. There are a couple good places to attach that strap to the body of the Jeep. It keeps that seat from budging once you get it pulled down very snugly. Considering the decreased risk of getting stuck in a snowstorm in Michigan by driving a Wrangler, it is probably safer than most cars. Ok, maybe that is a bit biased. Just buy one and enjoy it. Be prepared for the nosey old women that tell you what a bad parent you are for driving your child around in such an un-safe vehicle. :tonka: Some old bitty said that to me wife at the grocery store...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yep! He was a little over 2 here. He slept through most of the trails at the Badlands that day. The Rubi has the latch system which is great. I bought a Britax to go in it with the 5-point harness for up to 65 pounds. We still use it in and he's about 45 pounds at age 5.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I've had my son in the front seat of YJ's for years.(no airbags) It is way easier getting the real little ones into the front seat vs the rear. If you are looking at getting a TJ...They removed the air bag shut off switch late in the run. Maybe 2005ish. Hopefully someone can chime in with the exact year of the switch removal.

Overall if you don't drive like Hulk Hogan Jr. you will have no problems.

·
Not Right!
1,472 Posts
Both of my boys (now 3 and 6) have ridden in the back of my TJ since they were a year old or so. No probs and I feel it is very safe...or I would not consider it. As stated get a good seat with a strap on the back.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've had my son in the front seat of YJ's for years.(no airbags) It is way easier getting the real little ones into the front seat vs the rear. If you are looking at getting a TJ...They removed the air bag shut off switch late in the run. Maybe 2005ish. Hopefully someone can chime in with the exact year of the switch removal.

Overall if you don't drive like Hulk Hogan Jr. you will have no problems.
My 2004 does not have the airbag shutoff. I don't really have a problem getting Nolan in and out of the Rubi in the back seat. The seat folds forward and I'm only 5'3" with 33's on the Jeep, even when he was 2.

·
Premium Member
5,445 Posts
I've done it.

Rear facing is a pain in the ass. Seriously. But that's only up until they are 1.

Either way, it's a pain in the ass if you compare it to a 4-door or minivan. But don't let that hold you back. Just get it and deal with it.

·
NO RELIGION WAT!
28,165 Posts
I have done the car seat in both the front and rear of my YJ. Rear car seat was a bit frustrating, but manageable.

·
(513) 891-8372
12,024 Posts
87 YJ

I still do it. My kid is 5, He has been in the Jeep since he was born. I use the seatbelt in the back but I added a ratchet strap also so it's jammed in there real good and can't move. It's the 5 point type kid seat.

When wheelin I sometimes (when the wife isn't around) put him in the front so he doesn't get sick, can see better, can reach the CB to call people names etc. I don't use the shoulder belt in the front, I use car hauler ratchet strap.

·
Uggh
5,044 Posts
I've done it.

Rear facing is a pain in the ass. Seriously. But that's only up until they are 1.

Either way, it's a pain in the ass if you compare it to a 4-door or minivan. But don't let that hold you back. Just get it and deal with it.
X2
you learn tricks on how to get the little ones out of the seat and no topless driving imo its too windy for the little ones

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i have done it many times with my 2 and 3 yearold no problems
also when i worked with sandy korners jeep tours it was very comon to take tours in the duned with small children i have never herd of any problems with it 9and i have been on the local fire dpt for almost 10 years)...just make sure the seat is good and sinched down in the jeep
on another note it is a pain to get thebaby in the seat just because of the reach to the back seat but it is a good trade off to get the offroad ability of a jeep

·
HURL SCOUTS
10,007 Posts
we tested how the little one would like it when she was 13 months old. she did ok in the back of th YJ and never budged, we used the hat and left the top up with the sides and back off. she rides in there all the time and loves it. before I swapped in the family bar she rode in the front seat in her booster even with the doors off with nary a problem she was mad when i swapped bars cause she knew she had to go to the back seat and mom got the front seat back.

5,476 Posts
GO to your local police department and ask to be show how to correctly instal the seat. Disregard if you already know this, but time and time again I have seen parents who swear they do it right incorrectly instal a car seat.
i think wheeling wise you would want more then just the factory seat belt holding them in.

but not bad advice :thumb:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts