Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
School me...

Obviously I know I need a passport, but well else is req'd when trailoring a rig across the border?

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,482 Posts
Nothing special. Just answer the questions short and sweet. Be polite & you'll be fine. If you have a felony, you won't get across. Going both ways be prepared to show I.D. and registration of your rig.

Coming back is worse. Our own customs ask the most questions & some of the questions seem totally stupid. Jut have patience. Here's the biggest single thing, you WILL NOT get back into the U.S. unless your rig is clean. Try to come across with mud underneath & they'll turn you around. They don't want foreign soil contaminating our country. (but of course they can bring in truckloads of Canadian garbage for our landfills, no problem)

Trailering, lights, etc are the same.

·
Premium Member
22,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Registration? So the truck on the trailer needs to be plated then? My rigs always have insurance on them but they aren't usually plated.

·
Axle breakin' 101
3,128 Posts
The vehicle on the trailer does not need to be plated and you do need either a passort, a passport card, or the new license for hassle free crossing.

·
Certified Ypsilantian
4,608 Posts
Enhanced licence is way better than passport :thumb:
x2. Unless you have intentions of going to places other than Canada and Mexico, go ahead and get a passport. I have an enhanced license. When the time comes that I want to fly to a country that I need to cross an ocean, i will get a passport.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,482 Posts
Yes, just registration for the tow rig and trailer. Recently they've been asking me if I'm leaving my rig in Canada, IE; selling it. I found it interesting that they asked me going both ways.

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
They asked me if I was bringing any plants back?!?
Again, that kind of thing is standard. Look at things like Emerald Ash Borer, and what thats done.

Have your docs ready, be polite. be clean coming back into the country. With a rig on a trailer, its really easy to see the dirt. We usually spend like 20-30 minutes with a pressure washer to get them clean enough.

Oh, if you have passport stamps in the same week in Brazil and Mexico and then go into Canada, you may get some extra questioning off to the side :(

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts
x2. Unless you have intentions of going to places other than Canada and Mexico, go ahead and get a passport. I have an enhanced license. When the time comes that I want to fly to a country that I need to cross an ocean, i will get a passport.
tough to travel to Canada or Mexico for work. You'll need a passport to pull a Visa.

Isn't the price of an enhanced license close to a passport anyways?

·
Registered
11,843 Posts
Again, that kind of thing is standard. Look at things like Emerald Ash Borer, and what thats done.

Have your docs ready, be polite. be clean coming back into the country. With a rig on a trailer, its really easy to see the dirt. We usually spend like 20-30 minutes with a pressure washer to get them clean enough.

Oh, if you have passport stamps in the same week in Brazil and Mexico and then go into Canada, you may get some extra questioning off to the side :(
in your line of work with the pictures youve posted i completely beleive they would give you the 20 question games.

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
Male Gigolo..

An enhanced liscense is a touch cheaper than a passport card, but about $70-$80 cheaper than passport book + photos.

I like just having the passport book, covers you for everything and as you mention, you need it for VISAs.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts