Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I want to plan a week trip to the Smokies/Gatlinburg for September. We plan on taking the camper instead of hoteling it.

Other than Pigeon Forge and Mammoth Cave; what are the places to go to/see there? Good places to eat?

Most importantly; what are the good campgrounds or where to stay at? Don't have to have full hookup, but power would be nice. Can go rustic as well; just not preferred.

This will be my first time there but the wife has been there before, long time ago. Figured i'd ask the group of people likely to have been there or know where to go/what to do.

·
Gustafson
9,999 Posts
A buddy of mine stayed at the KOA in Pigeon Forge. Not a ton of privacy but it's in the heart of everything, that's why he liked it.

·
AKA Patrick just because
445 Posts
We just stayed at the Norris Damn state park campground. It has water and power for most sites some were full hookup. TN State Park Campgrounds | Rental Information
There is a Mexican restaurant in the Town of Rocky Top that is phenomenal. Knoxville its self has a lot to do for nightlife activities. Nashville is a few hour drive from there.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know you said "besides pigeon forge" but that is our favorite spot.
Only said that cause Pigeon forge is high on the list of places we're looking at lol

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ended up booking a site at Claboughs Campground in Pigeon Forge; was actually kinda hard to find a place I liked, just because all you could see the random pics on websites. This one looked pretty good and had like 1,000+ reviews with 4.5/5 stars.

We didn't care about full hookup, just power would have been fine, but it seems like 90% of all the campgrounds around that area were all full hookups with bells and whistles. Well, apparently not bells and whistles since that seems to be the norm lol. Just used to the campsites and camping we do in MI, with more rusticky digs, more woods, less "stuff'. That should be expected from such a huge tourist destination for camping though; so no worries I guess. Hopefully won't be spending a lot of time at the campsite anyway.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We're actually leaving Sept 17th, driving about halfway to Indian Lake SP in Ohio; staying the night, the getting to Claboughs in afternoon of the 18th. We could have driven the whole way in a day; but I didn't want to either get up absurdly early on Saturday, or arrive absurdly late on Saturday. Plus this way, we can park in IL SP in Ohio and enjoy an evening (well as much as you can enjoy time in Ohio), sleep in; then have a more (hopefully) relaxing drive. Get some time to settle in at the campground and figure out a plan for the next day.

·
Gustafson
9,999 Posts
We're actually leaving Sept 17th, driving about halfway to Indian Lake SP in Ohio; staying the night, the getting to Claboughs in afternoon of the 18th. We could have driven the whole way in a day; but I didn't want to either get up absurdly early on Saturday, or arrive absurdly late on Saturday. Plus this way, we can park in IL SP in Ohio and enjoy an evening (well as much as you can enjoy time in Ohio), sleep in; then have a more (hopefully) relaxing drive. Get some time to settle in at the campground and figure out a plan for the next day.
:ROFLMAO:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts