Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Gustafson
9,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Based on discussions had in another thread and whiterhinos suggestion, I'm starting a camper / camping thread.

Who camps? Where do you like to go? My wife, son, and I go camping on the northeast side of the state. We have a camper on a permanent site near Alpena. Since it's on a permanent site it's used more as a cottage, but we have often thought about buying another camper (maybe a popup) to take on short trips closer to home when we don't have the time to make the 4 hour trek "up north".

Below are a couple of pictures. One was when we bought it, the other was after I just got done washing it. My old girl Midnight was always my faithful companion. I still miss her.

·
Life=Short. Jeeps=Cool
4,001 Posts
I live in mine for about a month and a half every year. Mostly due to travel for the Michigan National Guard. I spend most of my time at the military campground on Camp Grayling, it's cheap at $17 a night for full hook up. We went around to a few different sites this past summer, liked getting up into the UP the most.

We're actually trying to sell it at the moment though, want to upgrade to something new next year.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
Based on discussions had in another thread and whiterhinos suggestion, I'm starting a camper / camping thread.

Who camps? Where do you like to go? My wife, son, and I go camping on the northeast side of the state. We have a camper on a permanent site near Alpena. Since it's on a permanent site it's used more as a cottage, but we have often thought about buying another camper (maybe a popup) to take on short trips closer to home when we don't have the time to make the 4 hour trek "up north".

Below are a couple of pictures. One was when we bought it, the other was after I just got done washing it. My old girl Midnight was always my faithful companion. I still miss her.

View attachment 278740

View attachment 278741
I like your setup. Home away from home.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,557 Posts
Wife and I have a 23' rockwood hybrid that we usually keep at a permanent lot on Lake Huron. I say usually, but we've only had it just over a year. Queen bunk and full bunk, with a slide out for the couch. Used it all last summer at the lake lot, no issues at all with it. Threw up a solar panel with a cheap PWM charge controller to keep the battery topped off as there is no power at the lake yet. Hopefully we will have some put in soon. Even with just the battery we can still run lights, stove, fridge, and fans at night.

Last fall we did take it on a trip through the UP; stayed 2 nights at Tahquamenon Falls and 3 nights at Porcupine Mountains. Have a site booked at Onaway State Park for early May so far this year. After that we will probably take it out to the lake for the summer. Paid just under $2,000 for it last January as the people selling it were in a bind with their HOA. I would like to travel more and camp at other places, but it's just too easy to go to the lake as it's less than 10 minutes from home and pretty isolated as far as neighbors.

The wife and I are planning on going to Gettysburg later this year for a week, and we will be taking the camper for that. The driveway pic is when I first bought it, the front bunk door looks a little worse for the wear as it was rotted on the bottom; I bought a whole new door and replaced it shortly after that. The other pics are from the UP trip. Front facing is at Tahquamenon Falls, the rear facing is at Porcupine Mountains. The pic by the water is the lake lot, it's not the best picture but I actually don't have any good pics of the setup out there. The glamor shot is in RC on the way to the UP, cause why not? We used the camper for everything while there, I only used the public restroom once when I had the Hersey squirts and needed some time to....well, I needed some time.

Very much love the light weight of the camper, 3,200lbs dry, 370lbs HW and prolly 4,000lbs fully loaded with gear (we don't travel with water in the tank). Ended up not using a WD hitch with the Ram, and only had a sway control; not once did I feel the WD was necessary, but sway control was 100%+ needed. Had to tighten it a few times driving to western UP with very high winds. There are drawbacks to the hybrid, as a real bed would be preferable as opposed to bunk ends; however we used it without opening the bunks at all for my buddies wedding last Oct cause it was like 15 degrees out; with the furnace it stayed nice and toasty in there. I slept on the couch (folds down to a bed) and wife slept on the dinette bed. Other upgrades we did was swap out all the halogen bulbs inside for LEDs, and new peel and stick flooring,

Eventually we may get another camper, but this one is perfect for us and I love the setup. The price can't be beat too; I almost feel bad as the people took like a $4,000 loss on the camper, but their loss is my gain.

Attachments

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,273 Posts
We've camped since being married 42 years ago. Before that I went coast to coast with my parents in a 10' pickup camper. Since married we've had; tents, a Transvan, 11' pickup camper, popup, 3 motorhomes and 2 fifth wheels. We have vacant wooded acreage in Harrison that we use for spring/fall camping and my wife & I travel quite a bit when possible. We typically do 2 weeks at a time. We will pick an area and stay at a campground for 3-4 days and use the tow rig to see the local sights. Then move a few hundred miles away and do it again. The best example of this was back when we did the Carolina coast line lighthouse looking from south to north. We went to a campground on Hilton Head. Then started in Savanna, up through Charleston, etc. Then we moved to Myrtle Beach for a few days and finally on to the Outer Banks where we spent about 6 days. We saw every lighthouse except 3 along that entire coastline.

I don't have pics on this computer of our newest 5er but here is the previous DRV.

Attachments

·
Life=Short. Jeeps=Cool
4,001 Posts
Jim, was your camper equipped with a hitch from the factory or did you have it added on? Rec double was something I was considering for pulling my fifth wheel and the jeep but was somewhat concerned about towing a 7k trailer behind a 7k trailer.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,273 Posts
Jim, was your camper equipped with a hitch from the factory or did you have it added on? Rec double was something I was considering for pulling my fifth wheel and the jeep but was somewhat concerned about towing a 7k trailer behind a 7k trailer.

I beefed up the trailer hitch on both of mine. I would not pull 7,000 pounds with the factory hitch.

·
Life=Short. Jeeps=Cool
4,001 Posts
I beefed up the trailer hitch on both of mine. I would not pull 7,000 pounds with the factory hitch.
Hmmmmm my 5er is an "ultra light", I'm hesitant that this one would handle the weight. As we look into a new one this spring that'll be a consideration on whether the frame can handle a beefy hitch and allow me to tow the jeep behind the trailer.

Of the times you did it, how did it go? Any exciting bits?

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,273 Posts
Hmmmmm my 5er is an "ultra light", I'm hesitant that this one would handle the weight. As we look into a new one this spring that'll be a consideration on whether the frame can handle a beefy hitch and allow me to tow the jeep behind the trailer.

Of the times you did it, how did it go? Any exciting bits?

True, your Cougar is on the lighter side of construction. As far as towing is concerned, it's a no-brainer other than hookup and being long. The rear trailer pretty much follows the front trailer so you don't need to swing extra wide like you would think. Really, you don't know it's back there. I would recommend a rear facing camera on the 5er. It makes lane changes much easier. If you make sure that you don't get caught in a place where you need to back up, it's a non issue.

With that, we really only destination tow like this. Silver Lake, or down south to a campground. It's not like we get off the main highway to explore.

·
Premium Member
4,499 Posts
I do a few camping trips every year and I'm still rocking an actual tent 😁 Most trips are along the Lake Michigan coast from Manistee up to Traverse City...Tippy Dam, Interlochen, and Silver Lake (annual trip with my kids) are my favorite spots. Every trip, at least one full day is dedicated to kayaking.

·
Low Range Drifter
8,269 Posts
We took advantage of a strong covid market for campers last summer and sold off our 2008 Outback 23RS. We mostly had it for my wife to have for horse shows with the girls, and since we stepped out of that we hadn't used it like we thought we might. We bought in 2012 and it was largely trouble free. It was small enough to fit in the barn, and could be towed by smaller SUV. The rear bump out made it seem much more spacious.

·
Gustafson
9,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A buddy of mines parents had that exact camper years ago. They towed it with a Ford Explorer. Nice little camper.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
We camp about a mile behind the house about 3 or 4 times a year it is fun to pack all your stuff on the quads and run out back we love the tent life and sleep with the top off as much as we can.

·
Gustafson
9,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have never seen a tent like that before. Who makes it?

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I posted this in the other thread, I don't quite camp, don't quite overland lol.

We love the UP, love to be alone, everything is based on that.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,557 Posts
I posted this in the other thread, I don't quite camp, don't quite overland lol.

We love the UP, love to be alone, everything is based on that.

View attachment 278762
I'd love to do more boondocking type camping. I don't' really know where to go/you can go though. If I actually put effort into looking it up more i'm sure I could find out a lot more.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,557 Posts
Love that idea to. Get away from people and I'm sure get to see some really cool places.
Exactly, the biggest thing I like about the lake lot is that there isn't really neighbors. Its a peninsula with two channels on both sides, there are houses on the sides but the people are hardly ever there.

You see pictures all over of people camping in the woods or at streams, which would is probably anyone's goal, but to get there requires effort that I haven't really had time (well time to spend) to put into it. We have a ton of tent camping gear as that's what we used prior to this last year, so that's not a problem. Now though, my wife will probably not want to ever tent camp again cause she's been spoiled by the camper lol

1 - 20 of 44 Posts