Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
№ ™℮ Ђ ώº®қ Θה ς├│‡ﺝ
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Calling out all Engineers (How do you store your d size drawings)

I’m stumped, over the last 10 years I have exceeded my drawing storage. We have previously used cardboard boxes with dividers but cannot handle the abuse of constant usage of the shop. We are getting more drawings all the time and I don’t know what to do with them. I like the hangers but they are really expensive.

·
6'-5" 209LB 16YR LEFTWING
15,745 Posts
We save ours as PDF images, and put them on DVD (duplicate)
we ran out of flat file space years ago.

·
№ ™℮ Ђ ώº®қ Θה ς├│‡ﺝ
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My boss is computer stupid he does not like pdf at all. I tried to push that already.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,753 Posts
We use the vertical hanging files from Easi File.

We have 35 years worth of engineering drawings filed in 9 cabinets that are lined up against one wall. Yes they are expensive but Very Very nice.

We also store on pdf files but it does you no good when you need to run a print quickly for a meeting or problem solving.

·
propane evangelist
798 Posts
Two ways

1.) Folded (in hanging file folders) and in filing cabinets - we have TONS of part prints that range from "D" size (22"x34") to the more common (for us) 36"x100+".

2.) Electronically

We are TS16949 certified and one of the requirements of TS is document control. Storing drawings in an organized manner is part of that.

·
№ ™℮ Ђ ώº®қ Θה ς├│‡ﺝ
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We dont want to fold some of our projects are 200 pages thick. Smaller projects and general arrangements are folded and filed per project.

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
Yep, we also store electronically. Its required by our version control process.

My D and E size prints are usually just 4-5 pages, so I just fold them into file folders..

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts
I dont remember the last time I have had a D or E size paper print come across my desk....

electronic is everything

·
Eye candy
10,044 Posts
I usually throw them in a pile under my drafting board, then then the cleaning lady comes by and does something with them...

·
propane evangelist
798 Posts
oh...

We dont want to fold some of our projects are 200 pages thick. Smaller projects and general arrangements are folded and filed per project.

that kind of complicates things I guess.... Most of our projects only have a couple of prints - substrate and assembly and usually a print for testing requirements.

There is a pretty simple document control system out there called Owl Document Control. http://owl.sourceforge.net/ and it's free. Might make the whole electronic thing easier, though, I tend to like the simple straight forward folder/sub folder approach.

I dont remember the last time I have had a D or E size paper print come across my desk....

electronic is everything
Automotive is still pretty arcane. We get all drawings electronically, but we are required to submit hard copies with PPAP's - electronic copies are not allowed. We also keep hard copies, which come in pretty handy in a pinch when you have to trouble shoot dimensional issues with parts.

·
Eye candy
10,044 Posts
Automotive is still pretty arcane. We get all drawings electronically, but we are required to submit hard copies with PPAP's - electronic copies are not allowed. We also keep hard copies, which come in pretty handy in a pinch when you have to trouble shoot dimensional issues with parts.
Oh Bones wouldn't know anything about automotive engineering :sonicjay:

·
Fucking Zen as Shit
16,161 Posts
Electronically.

either in it's cad format, or the PDFs I print.

Anything that's actually printed on paper gets recycled once that projects done

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts
Even when I worked in CAD/CAE/FEA groups I don think I ever printed anything in D or E sizes though... Maybe you just need better readining glasses :thumb:

·
WWSD - What would stan do
11,206 Posts
Even when I worked in CAD/CAE/FEA groups I don think I ever printed anything in D or E sizes though... Maybe you just need better readining glasses :thumb:
Maybe you need to quit talking about something that you know nothing about :chiefwoohaw: :chiefwoohaw:

:sonicjay: :sonicjay: :sonicjay: :sonicjay: :sonicjay: :sonicjay: :sonicjay: :sonicjay: :sonicjay: :sonicjay: :sonicjay: :sonicjay: :sonicjay: :sonicjay: :sonicjay: :sonicjay: :sonicjay: :sonicjay:

·
The Green Machine
4,197 Posts
We store ours on the R: drive. Seems to work good and we never run out of room.

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
My boss is computer stupid he does not like pdf at all. I tried to push that already.
Make sure you print out a hardcopy of this thread for him to read.

I agree - he's retarded.

Tell him that all the young Engineers in India and the Philippines are being taught how to scan in school. :tonka:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts