Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Kitten I'm gonna eat you!
3,782 Posts
I used a post hole digger and found a telephone line once... then put a post and a mailbox on top of it. At least I know where it is now.

·
Buy a Fiat! Save the UAW!
14,442 Posts

I think this pic says it all. thats a 24"+ dia. main

·
Mall Crawler
2,632 Posts
We hit one of those before.

I was working for the county as a temp, and we were hammering out bedrock for a box bridge using a hydraulic excavator hammer. The hammer was almost completely submerged in water....and our operator wasnt the best (or brightest). We knew the line was there, but he kept hammering.

*bang*thump*bang*thump*bang*DONG*bang*DONG*

There were about 10 of us there, laborers, surveyors, drivers......and at the second DONG everyone...EVERYONE had dropped their shovel or leaning stick and began booking it in all directions.

After we had realized we were all still alive after 10 seconds of a full blown sprint, we came back and decided we should hook some pumps up and drain the area. The main itself, Detroits MAIN feeder line (18" or 24" high pressure), had a thick fiberglass wrap around it. The fiberglass was gone, but the steel looked ok......so we buried it.

The crew I worked with there hit so many things....it was a joke. From fiber optic lines (cut it right in half), to water mains (shut down an entire village, and flooded two streets).

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
One of those ruptured north of Kalamazoo a few years ago. You could hear the roar from five miles away and feel the heat from a mile or so away.

·
1997 stock Wrangler
576 Posts
best thing is Miss Dig is FREE!!! just too many people are too dumb to call and use it!! but.. of course they do mess up from time to time.... ripped out many lines they mis marked..

·
The land of Boredom..
4,224 Posts
One of those ruptured north of Kalamazoo a few years ago. You could hear the roar from five miles away and feel the heat from a mile or so away.
HAHA i remember that, it roared through downtown kzoo. i was over on the eastside at my sisters. under my car. scary shit when your face is 4" from an oil pan. lol

·
Sveentusmaximus
616 Posts
Someone blew up some pipeline in Auburn Hills like 2 years ago I think. I was miles away and could see the sky being lit up and it sounded like a never ending jet plane overhead. It must have been deafening up closer.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
we had the road crew hit a 8'' hig presure main in front of the shop right after they put it in main you should have seen them run. Went off for like 30 min before consumers got there to figure how to shut it off ....

·
I only wheel a boat.
17,274 Posts
no need to mow for a bit.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts