Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
5,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on the front bump stops.

When the axle articulates, the bump stop misses the pad by a mile.

Is it ok to use the coilover shaft as the limit for uptravel? or should I be using the bump stop? If I do not need to use the bump stop, it would sure make things 100000000000 times easier!

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
It will work, but depending on how you drive it, the life of your coilover will be decreased. The other thing to think about is now your coilover mounting points on the frame will see a ton more stress on hard hits without a bump stop. Its usually a lot easier to make a beefier bump stop can mount on the frame than a coilover mount.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,499 Posts
Cant remember where I read it, but was a reputable source. That it was okay to bottom out coilovers on slow articulation but use bump stops to limit the straight vertical movement of the axle.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Cant remember where I read it, but was a reputable source. That it was okay to bottom out coilovers on slow articulation but use bump stops to limit the straight vertical movement of the axle.
This could be argued because any time just 1 tire takes a big enough hit (to do damage to the coilover) and the other side drooped out, it will be a hit hard enough to flip the vehicle over, which is generally tried to be avoided.

Casey Gilbert's qualifying run at KOH this year comes to mind.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
5,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How much articulation does it take to miss the pad? Any chance the bump gets caught on something?

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
When it flexes, it seems the pad is pulled inward towards the center of the Jeep. So the pad is not inline. I unfortunately do not have any pics. I’ll have to tack weld it all together again to snap some pics to show it. It isn’t hitting anywhere.

problem is, I can’t make the pad much longer as it will hit the spring.

yeah I read mixed opinions on letting the coil over bottom out over at pirate. Figured I’d post here and see what people thought. I could see one tire hitting hard if I were to bounce off a tree,rock, jump.

Maybe I’ll just have to move them I board and make longer pads

·
Low Range Drifter
8,269 Posts
I agree with this.

When it flexes, it seems the pad is pulled inward towards the center of the Jeep. So the pad is not inline. I unfortunately do not have any pics. I’ll have to tack weld it all together again to snap some pics to show it. It isn’t hitting anywhere.

problem is, I can’t make the pad much longer as it will hit the spring.

yeah I read mixed opinions on letting the coil over bottom out over at pirate. Figured I’d post here and see what people thought. I could see one tire hitting hard if I were to bounce off a tree,rock, jump.

Maybe I’ll just have to move them I board and make longer pads
What I've seen done is to make the primary strike of the pad perpendicular to the bump. Like xj4life said, to make sure that on a straight on hit, that the bump strikes the pad. Then they will make the pads turn on angle and clear other parts during articulation but still provide some bump to pad hitting. So it may be shaped like \_/ but upside down from my ASCII art.

Big thing is to make sure on articulation that the bump doesn't hit something you don't want it, or that it can get caught on something like a bolt head.

·
Premium Member
4,499 Posts
What I've seen done is to make the primary strike of the pad perpendicular to the bump. Like xj4life said, to make sure that on a straight on hit, that the bump strikes the pad. Then they will make the pads turn on angle and clear other parts during articulation but still provide some bump to pad hitting. So it may be shaped like \_/ but upside down from my ASCII art.
That sounds like a great idea if the packaging works

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
5,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is not being obstructed by anything. It just does not come close to hitting. I don't think I really even have the room to make it much wider or to build it like suggested above (Makes perfect sense and love the idea). I might be able to put the can on the INSIDE of the frame rail between radiator and grill. Move the upper link inward and go from there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts