Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have never built a Trans successfully ha. So my question is what clutches and upgrades are reccomended? I have an e4od, and I've read about swapping planetaries from the e4od to the c6, does anyone have links to wright ups or a good book to buy? I'd like to build this one on my own but I'd like to do it right

·
bdd
2,385 Posts
I'm sure sandviper knows but Iirc their is a mod you need to do for clmbing hills. Something about the pump starving on inclines. I don't remember, maybe it was c4s...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Steve at hudsonville transmission built mine with the e4od planetary. I never ran it with my current engine before the rebuild so I'm not sure how drastic the difference is. The guy seemed to be against the aftermarket servo and clutch drums and shift kits and said it would last me longer with a stock rebuild and it still shifts pretty quick

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm I wonder why? It seems to me if a builder is not familiar with upgraded in a certain Trans they reccomend stock. Not sure though

·
Yeeeee Haaaaw!
6,801 Posts
Both were putting down 850-ish HP and both are still alive. Good stuff list:
Hardened input shaft
Kelone fibers and steels (as many as you can pack into the drums and still have the correct clearences)
Billet R servo and the "F" lever for correct band timing
upgraded sprag
planetary swap if you think you need it. If you're not racing it, you probably won't know the difference unless you are really under geared.
If you want to get an aftermarket drum so that you can fit 6 fibers and steels, get it drilled for the de-oiling holes if you plan to twist things pst 6K R's
Valve body of choice. I prefer Broader performance- they know their shit and are helpful on the phone if you have a question. I ran a reverse manual VB on my last couple and love them.

I've never heard on an oiling mod for a C6 pump, but then again I've never used a C6 in a severe angle application like rock crawling- just hill climbs and drags...

That list along with the typical new seals, O-rings, and bushings as well as setting you clearences correctly and you should have a trans that will take 1000+HP beating for several years. There's a few other little tricks and you should be able to search them out on the web. 429-460.com has some excellent write-ups on them. You could check in with Tranny Tom as well. He probably builds them in his sleep by now.

Last thing- invest in a good cooler. For every 20 degrees over 180, you loose 50% of the life expectancy no matter how strong you build it.

Good luck!

·
Yeeeee Haaaaw!
6,801 Posts
I'm sure sandviper knows but Iirc their is a mod you need to do for clmbing hills. Something about the pump starving on inclines. I don't remember, maybe it was c4s...
The Trick Flow deep pan comes with a really nice filter adapter that uses a Chrysler fiber-style filter that drops it right to the bottom of the pan. Unfortunately that pan won't fit without completely re-designing your trans crossmember. I used a PLM pan on my bronco and it was sweet. Bolted right up with room to spare and was a +2.5 qt pan. I think it just used the stock C6 "truck" filter which drops a little lower into the pan.

You may be able to use the Trick Flow adapter and filter with the PLM pan, but I never tried it. If you aren't running EFI, you shouldn't have to worry about starving the pump. The carb won't keep the engine running if you are going up something that steep.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I would suggest your purchase the inexpensive video from Bad Shoe Productions. It is step by step and ridiculously detailed.

I just played it on my laptop in the garage, and paused it while I was doing what they just did.

They go thru everything from checking every tolerance, to air testing to ensure everything is correct.

I think it was like $29, but worth much more if you don't want to have to do it twice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts