Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
I'll Direc your TV
9,208 Posts
I'm thinking lumber is going to bottom out around July so if you can wait that long...
Been still trending up, but also the purchasing has decreased too...so hopefully the prices come back down. $7 an 8ft 2x4 is ridiculous

·
Sore and Tired 24/7
1996 Ford Bronco 5.8 4X4
13,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)
Spot for Barn is dug up, and sand down, but weather/schedule won't allow footings to be dug until next week. But on the plus side my approach to the garage, and the bad pad in the garge got replaced today.

Attachments

·
Registered
360 Posts
Looking good! Watch the prices
On the “less than average sizes” I was finding last summer/late this winter, I could buy a 16’ and larger 2x’s and cut’em in half for cheaper than (2)8’s. Hell treated 2x’s were cheaper than standard framing 2x’s because they were not the “high demand” materials. Pretty much BS when plywood was cheaper than OSB

·
Sore and Tired 24/7
1996 Ford Bronco 5.8 4X4
13,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
20'x45'x14' walls. I wanted to do more like 35x35, or 30x35, but my yard size and the setbacks caused this to be the widest and longest I could do.

·
Sore and Tired 24/7
1996 Ford Bronco 5.8 4X4
13,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Oh, forgot to mention, when the inspector came out to inspect the footings, he said "Oh BTW you need gutters in your building. There goes another $1500, but I'm actually Ok with having gutters.

·
Gustafson
10,548 Posts
Oh, forgot to mention, when the inspector came out to inspect the footings, he said "Oh BTW you need gutters in your building. There goes another $1500, but I'm actually Ok with having gutters.
I am no barn expert, but my uncles barn and my buddies barn both have gutters. I think that's the way to go. if you wanna be really slick, have them do french drains and run them underground.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Are you going to install leaf covers?
My shop doesn't have gutters, but i also knew when i built it that it was getting a lean to addition on each side. No gutters does suck because the sidewalls get dirty as shit from splash back... not to mention erosion on the side that doesn't have gravel. It will have them once the additions are complete.

·
Sore and Tired 24/7
1996 Ford Bronco 5.8 4X4
13,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
I am no barn expert, but my uncles barn and my buddies barn both have gutters. I think that's the way to go. if you wanna be really slick, have them do french drains and run them underground.
Yea, it makes sense to have, I would like to do french drains.
Are you going to install leaf covers?
My shop doesn't have gutters, but i also knew when i built it that it was getting a lean to addition on each side. No gutters does suck because the sidewalls get dirty as shit from splash back... not to mention erosion on the side that doesn't have gravel. It will have them once the additions are complete.
I would like to install leaf filters, 14' sidewalls and I don't like heights, I don't want to go up there ever. And what you said makes me feel better about spending extra on it.

·
Registered
360 Posts
In case you haven’t yet , get your garage doors ordered before you need them, I just went to order my door again after my contractor left me
Hanging, if i order today the earliest I’d get my door would be mid November

41 - 60 of 65 Posts