Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
I'm not old, honest...
31,012 Posts
I have pulled permits for the obvious stuff (addition/ tearing down and building new garage/ etc) but have never pulled permits for things that can fly under the radar. To me it's just a money grab. I get that they don't want hack construction but why do I really need a permit to change out a water softener, etc.

·
Life=Short. Jeeps=Cool
4,522 Posts
I have pulled permits for the obvious stuff (addition/ tearing down and building new garage/ etc) but have never pulled permits for things that can fly under the radar. To me it's just a money grab. I get that they don't want hack construction but why do I really need a permit to change out a water softener, etc.
You're supposed to get a permit for a water softener?!

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

·
Mr. Special Snowflake.
13,492 Posts
Pretty much anything electrical or plumbing needs a permit these days.

·
Sore and Tired 24/7
1996 Ford Bronco 5.8 4X4
13,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Yup, Just another "tax" I get the inspection fees, as it requires someone to come to me, but the 60% of what I paid today was bullshit Fees.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Just be glad you're not doing anything commercial.
The most expensive permit I've pulled was a hair under $5k in Trenton for fire protection. The same building in Burton is only $800... explain that to me.
The most expensive building permit I've ever seen was the same place in Trenton, over $90k...i get its commercial, but damn that's a good way to keep business out of your municipality.

·
Project Antitube
1,213 Posts
When I found out they don't actually ever check anything I was like... nope. Supposed to have a permit for taking a piss in my township.

They don't even check electrical. They rely on the utility to make sure the panel is right. The utility just looks for a sticker. I can print a sticker. Screw that noise. No one cares more about my shit than me. I'd be OK with it if I was paying someone to do something (like check my work) but if no one is showing that's theft.

The assessor was here last year. I have put an addition on my garage (lean-to not enclosed yet) and a giant patio on the back of my house (14x30). He measured everything like 40 times but took no pictures. He was cool about it and asked if he could take pictures and I said I'd rather he didn't and he was fine with it. Nothing magical happened on my taxes, but probably only because I didn't ask for permits.

They want $700 application fee for a driveway. I want to move (technically add a second) my driveway because I've almost been smoked by soccer slotmoms flying down the road. They said they'd probably deny it. Magically the motherfuckers in the county randomly use that part of my yard to turn their class 4 trucks around so I think I'm just going to put a driveway there and see what happens.

·
Hang all the thieves
1,832 Posts
The only argument I've ever heard for permits, is that if something does happen, your insurance provider could deny your claim. I have no personal experience with this, just repeating what I've heard over the years.

·
I'm not old, honest...
31,012 Posts
When I found out they don't actually ever check anything I was like... nope. Supposed to have a permit for taking a piss in my township.

They don't even check electrical. They rely on the utility to make sure the panel is right. The utility just looks for a sticker. I can print a sticker. Screw that noise. No one cares more about my shit than me. I'd be OK with it if I was paying someone to do something (like check my work) but if no one is showing that's theft.

The assessor was here last year. I have put an addition on my garage (lean-to not enclosed yet) and a giant patio on the back of my house (14x30). He measured everything like 40 times but took no pictures. He was cool about it and asked if he could take pictures and I said I'd rather he didn't and he was fine with it. Nothing magical happened on my taxes, but probably only because I didn't ask for permits.

They want $700 application fee for a driveway. I want to move (technically add a second) my driveway because I've almost been smoked by soccer slotmoms flying down the road. They said they'd probably deny it. Magically the motherfuckers in the county randomly use that part of my yard to turn their class 4 trucks around so I think I'm just going to put a driveway there and see what happens.
I'm with you 100%. Especially the part about making sure it's right.

·
I'll Direc your TV
9,208 Posts

That right there is it, really.

·
Registered
777 Posts
The only argument I've ever heard for permits, is that if something does happen, your insurance provider could deny your claim. I have no personal experience with this, just repeating what I've heard over the years.
Never heard of an insurance company looking for permits on an insured building. That would be asinine considering most people aren't building new, and moved into an already established residence.
I built all new, house, driveway, septic, well and shop. Insurance carrier never once asked to see any permits for any of it. I'm going to put a lean-to on my shop with it's own bathroom, well, and septic. It will be 15x60x10' on the low side, and will not have an issue getting it insured if not permitted...

·
Mr. Special Snowflake.
13,492 Posts
Never heard of an insurance company looking for permits on an insured building. That would be asinine considering most people aren't building new, and moved into an already established residence.
I built all new, house, driveway, septic, well and shop. Insurance carrier never once asked to see any permits for any of it. I'm going to put a lean-to on my shop with it's own bathroom, well, and septic. It will be 15x60x10' on the low side, and will not have an issue getting it insured if not permitted...
I think it would only come up if there was a claim for something like a fire and they traced the cause to work that had been done without a permit or inspection. When I had a fire the insurance company sent out a fire inspection to determine the cause.

·
Sore and Tired 24/7
1996 Ford Bronco 5.8 4X4
13,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I found out how much the Foundation instead of ratwall is going to cost, an extra $4,000. Happy I built an extra $10K over original quotes into the budget.

·
Hang all the thieves
1,832 Posts
I think it would only come up if there was a claim for something like a fire and they traced the cause to work that had been done without a permit or inspection. When I had a fire the insurance company sent out a fire inspection to determine the cause.
This is exactly the point I was making.

·
Registered
777 Posts
This is exactly the point I was making.
Only in commercial boys... unless the build is brand new within a year, then they will look into the permits, but if your house is not a new build, nobody, not even the fire marshal will ask for past permitting from the previous owners/ builders.
Both of your points are wrong considering I'm the only one who mentions new residential builds...

·
Registered
93 Posts
booblinker said: I found out how much the Foundation instead of ratwall is going to cost, an extra $4,000. Happy I built an extra $10K over original quotes into the budget.
I guess I did not catch it yet- are you doing a stick-build barn or pole barn construction? Trying to figure out the footing thing yet?

·
Sore and Tired 24/7
1996 Ford Bronco 5.8 4X4
13,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I guess I did not catch it yet- are you doing a stick-build barn or pole barn construction? Trying to figure out the footing thing yet?
I'm doing all metal, When I first started researching all of this, the saving on the building would pay for spray foam insulation. Now that I found out I have to have full foundation because of that, I think I should have gone stick built.

3 weeks until Concrete work starts, I'm starting to realize this barn isn't going to be ready to use until almost fall time.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Good luck man! I’ve lived through a couple garage additions an my last 32x30 addition was by far the most painful. Started it 3 yrs ago amidst Covid shut downs. Ended up putting it off for the year with plans of getting back on it right away in spring, being done by June. Between all the work from home government/codes/inspectors etc,it took till June just to get the permits approved. Go figure codes had changed between the years, which affected foundation/dirt work/block work and having to have a shear wall in place were it wasn’t needed before. Throw in backorders/delivery issues I was barely able to get it dried in before November. Hell I’m still waiting for one of my garage doors that was ordered in JULY!
At this point I’d say I’m prolly 10k over my planned budget between price hikes/code changes/ and paying extra for stuff just cause I needed it.
Good luck keep your head high, drink often

·
Sore and Tired 24/7
1996 Ford Bronco 5.8 4X4
13,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Almost June and ground hasn't even been broke. Work is suppose to be started next week though.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts