Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Sore and Tired 24/7
1996 Ford Bronco 5.8 4X4
13,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I assumed I just gave people money, and a barn would appear. Nope, Twp has told me 7 different thing on what I can build. Finally get actual rules on it, and turn in the paperwork to get permits. Put it is a pre assembled moveable structure in the permit, barn company said that all they should need. Twp wants "Prints", barn company says they shouldn't need them, but I can get them once they have a Deposit. WTF? Now I contacted the other Barn company I was contemplating, they said it shouldn't be a problem to me "prints". I can't wait until all this shit is over and I can crack my first beer in there, I just hope its before 2023.

·
Old School
33,047 Posts
Yeah, bought building and then told "Oh, you can't build it, it's too big"
Check further and it is because I already have a garage, but if I attach the garage to the house then the garage is part of the house and I can put up the building. So, now I need to find a builder to put up a 45' long by 18' deep carport to attach my garage to my house

·
Gustafson
10,548 Posts
Hopefully they get this shit sorted out for you. I can't imagine the headache of doing "anything" anymore post covid. It seems like everyone knows NOTHING and does NOTHING anymore.....

·
Sore and Tired 24/7
1996 Ford Bronco 5.8 4X4
13,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hopefully they get this shit sorted out for you. I can't imagine the headache of doing "anything" anymore post covid. It seems like everyone knows NOTHING and does NOTHING anymore.....
In the end it will get sorted out, its just a matter of how big I can go, and how many headaches along the way.
Well I found out the deposit is refundable, and I guess its the norm, because the other place wouldn't send the prints either. So I guess I'm gonna put deposit down so their builder can send info the twp needs.

·
Sore and Tired 24/7
1996 Ford Bronco 5.8 4X4
13,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess they are sending the prints over Monday, so That means I can look forward to the Twp. denying them a couple days later, then decide If i build smaller or fight.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
That's pretty shitty.

My builder and Menards had it all figured out, between them they knew exactly how to spec it to pass my townships little hole inspection and building permit.

Beyond the hole inspection, no one ever even came and looked lol.

·
Sore and Tired 24/7
1996 Ford Bronco 5.8 4X4
13,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's pretty shitty.

My builder and Menards had it all figured out, between them they knew exactly how to spec it to pass my townships little hole inspection and building permit.

Beyond the hole inspection, no one ever even came and looked lol.
Part of my problem is I have a small yard, and my house is set back pretty far, and I have to be 40' from back property line, and front of barn had to be behind the front of the house. So my spot to build is like 22x47, and im building 20x45, so its right on the border of being to big. And that is if the twp goes by the 5' from another building they state in one spot, and not 10' they state in another.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
That sucks, I called my township about that and they were like, we have nothing lol, you can build right on the property line if you want.

Only setback I had to follow was from the center of the road.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Yup, bureaucracy is pure bull shit. A bunch of failed contractors become code enforcement, then tell the Township board the best way to fuck with it's residents because they have a chip on their shoulder.
The only times i have ever dealt with decent inspectors, is when they actively own, or retired from owning a successful business and need so something to do in the same line of work without the headache of chasing money...
IMO, build killdozer and fix this problem the right way😂

·
Project Antitube
1,212 Posts
I absolutely enjoy arguing with inspectors. Most inspectors were awful contractors or tradespeople before they found a way to snake their way into being on the government dole spreading their failure far and wide. They usually believe the way they did it was the "correct way" regardless of what is allowed.

My township has become awful. They don't want to approve anything unless they're buddies with you so I just don't tell them what I'm doing because even though I'm not on their "bad side" yet I don't want to draw attention to anything I'm doing. The neighbor down the road asked permission to put a porch on the front of their house eating 2' in to the FIFTY FOOT SETBACK ON A DIRT ROAD and they said they'd probably deny it after they submitted the variance fee. I'd just have done it and paid the permit afterwards if they caught me. In reality they'd probably never catch you because WHY THE FUCK DO YOU NEED A 50' SETBACK ON A DIRT ROAD.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I literally, just paid about 400 bucks in hole permits, and building permits, and that was it..

No one ever came and looked at anything, spoke to me, showed up, did literally anything at all but take my money lol.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yep, same thing I've run into where I live as well as my cabin up north. All the township wants is the money! You pay the fees, your free to go. Also, if you are doing anything to add square footage to your house, there will be someone to come by and verify so that they can add that to your assessed value so they can collect more taxes.

·
Sore and Tired 24/7
1996 Ford Bronco 5.8 4X4
13,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I guess they approved all the setbacks, and size, but have to change pitch on roof, and need longer overhangs on end of building(no big deal). But here is the one that hits the pocketbook, I have to have 12x42 footings, and not just rat wall like I thought. Wonder how much more that is gonna cost me.

·
I'll Direc your TV
9,208 Posts
I absolutely enjoy arguing with inspectors. Most inspectors were awful contractors or tradespeople before they found a way to snake their way into being on the government dole spreading their failure far and wide. They usually believe the way they did it was the "correct way" regardless of what is allowed.

My township has become awful. They don't want to approve anything unless they're buddies with you so I just don't tell them what I'm doing because even though I'm not on their "bad side" yet I don't want to draw attention to anything I'm doing. The neighbor down the road asked permission to put a porch on the front of their house eating 2' in to the FIFTY FOOT SETBACK ON A DIRT ROAD and they said they'd probably deny it after they submitted the variance fee. I'd just have done it and paid the permit afterwards if they caught me. In reality they'd probably never catch you because WHY THE FUCK DO YOU NEED A 50' SETBACK ON A DIRT ROAD.

The vast majority of permits that are "required", fawk all of that nonsense.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Right, no one is more motivated than me to make sure my barn doesn't fall on my head.

And the government really didn't do a thing to make sure it didn't.. Nor are my neighbors any safer because I paid 400 bucks to get their leave to build a building.

·
Registered
93 Posts
12 x 42 footings? Are you stick building this barn? Or is it going to be a pole barn? Can't really do footings for post construction.

Too bad the company closed up that I bought my barn building "system" from- you could save about $12k on roof trusses! The stuff I used was called Lumber-link by Socket Systems. I primarily went with this because I wanted to clear-span 40-ft with a gambrel roof. This place was the only one that would provide engineering documents that it could be done. Sure wish they were still around so I could build another building up north using this system.

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,924 Posts
I hope to build more storage this year. Dreading the paperwork etc... Gonna try to get rid of a bunch of crap first, hoarding is a real problem... lol

·
Sore and Tired 24/7
1996 Ford Bronco 5.8 4X4
13,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got the permits today. Wonder What the next thing they are gonna mess with me about?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts